Feedback by UserVoice

Access (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Access Desktop feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.
We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Release an Office 2019 Access Runtime

The Access Team previously stated that "Access is included in all Office 365 plans and Access 2016 Runtime click-to-run is also available for customers".
    This leaves a gap for anyone that has installed a lower version of Office 2019 that does not include Access. The Access 2016 runtime will not install as it is MSI, the Office 365 access runtime will not install as it clashes with Office 2019, which it insists you uninstall.
    We are having to tell our customers to not install Office 2019.
    So please can we have a runtime that plays nicely with Office 2019

120 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    13 comments  ·  Runtime  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The current plan is to make Access RT 2019 available for customers to install from the Office Deployment Tool. This should be available in the second half of 2019.
    The recommendation for Office 2019 perpetual consumers, is (and will remain) to install the free version of O365 Access Runtime from the download page.

2. BugFix: Combo Datatype bug

Please fix the combo box RowSource datatype binding bug.

The bug is as follows:
    1. Create a table [Table1] with two columns:
    - [NumberField], datatype: Number, Double
    - [TextField], datatype: Short Text

Add 1 Row to the table:
    [NumberField] = 10
    [TextField] = "Some Text 10"

2. Create a combo box:
    - Set the RowSource of the combo box to this:
    SELECT NumberField, TextField FROM Table1;

3. Add a Button to the form: [cmbErrorExample]
    Add On Click Event:
    If Me.cmbErrorExample.RowSource = "SELECT NumberField, TextField FROM Table1;" Then
    Me.cmbErrorExample.RowSource = "SELECT TextField, NumberField FROM Table1;"
    Me.cmbErrorExample.DefaultValue = "Some Text 10"
    Me.cmbErrorExample.Value…

32 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Forms  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Fix Windows 10 1803 Frontend - Backend corruption issues

We have some databases with a split front end (stored on local computer) and backend (stored on a server mapped via relative path) using Access 2016 (build 9126.2259). Since upgrading many computers to Windows 10 1803 the backend database constantly becomes corrupt. We have to disable the three caches referenced in the article linked below in order for the corruption to stop, but this makes file server operations much slower while also causing unnecessary network traffic. We never had this issue on Windows 10 1703.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/it-pro/windows-7/ff686200(v=ws.10)

126 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Access database in an inconsistent state...Windows 10 1803 update

Access database in an inconsistent state....since the release of Windows 10, 1803 our significant percentage of our 3500 customers have consistently lost connection to the back-end database and been forced to stop work during the day to repair their database. Only recently did we discover the leasing fix. In the meantime, our product reputation has been adversely affected. Please release a production update since many of the IT people have refused to make the lanmanserver registry entry and are waiting for the Windows update. HELLO MICROSOFT PLEASE HELP!!

52 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  External Data Connectivity  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Add a TreeGrid Control

A TreeGrid control could be used in forms, or as just a Tree control. This should be a somewhat customizable look and feel.

30 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Forms  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. When a query fails due to data type mismatch - tell us what field in the error message.

When a query fails due to data type mismatch or some other field specific error - tell us what field in the error message.

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Queries  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Access Add-ins are removed after every Office update (bug)

Every time I get an Office update, my Access Add-ins are uninstalled. This has been going on for at least a year. It doesn't affect all add-ins, about 1/4 of them stay (I have 26 installed). These may be ones that were installed with an .exe installer.

I think this is a bug but I don't think it will get a lot of attention because Access Add-ins aren't that popular. If you use add-ins and have seen this happen please vote.

My work around for this has been to use RegEdit to save my add-in registry settings to a .reg…

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. JSON import/export

Given the widespread use JSON as a data transport, we should have:

Application.ImportJSON
    Application.ExportJSON

like we have:

Application.ImportXML
    Application.ExportXML

There are a few libraries out there – replacing these with one or a few lines of code would be extremely useful.

84 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  External Data Connectivity  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. improve performance of conditional formating

conditional formating is a great feature but slow when data is not small and forms flicker. Can you please improve that?
    By the way: Shadows of Buttons flicker too.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Forms  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Upgrade Access SQL dialect to current ANSI standards

MS Access's ACE SQL engine continues to run with a variant form of ANSI-89 with some ANSI-92 features while the rest of the relational database world has adopted more recent ANSI standards and at the very least fully comply to the universal, lowest common denominator standard accepted in the industry: ANSI-1992.

Being a highly used, worldwide database for small to medium-sized shops and its popularity with the Office suite, enhancing Access's dialect to industry standards will add value to current and future users including the Microsoft brand. Even SQLite, a similar, very popular file-level database as open-source counterpart to Access,…

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Queries  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Add Form position properties (x and y) to window screen

It would be great if access form (either overlapped or popup form) has X and Y poperty fixed to active screen (measurement in twips). As far I know, the property LEFT and TOP are relative to their window (most value are 0 if a form in topmost or leftmost.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Forms  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Relatório de arquivos

Solar Painéis Fotovoltaica Geotérmica, Elétrica a Água quente com Boiler etc:...

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Local Data  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Limits are reached - if I open one more form: Error 3048: Cannot open any more databases

I have 2 reports and 1 form open. Each of theses has complex data sources (with many joins, subqueries...). If I open an fourth report - I get the error message.

I think the limits are to low. Please upgrade them.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Forms  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Bug Report -- Application Crashing after update

We had this problem back in August with MSAccess 64 bit on Office 365 crashing after a windows update. Once again, the same issue: Access is crashing multiple times per day because of bugs introduced by Microsoft during the update process.

Faulting application name: MSACCESS.EXE, version: 16.0.11126.20196, time stamp: 0x5c2dc930
    Faulting module name: OLEAUT32.dll, version: 10.0.17134.48, time stamp: 0xebd737a3
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x000000000008a06d
    Faulting process id: 0x1180
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d4ac28476e5591
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Root\Office16\MSACCESS.EXE
    Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\OLEAUT32.dll
    Report Id: 5c83adec-0c56-4e22-b261-5d638b46b548
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID:

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Allow arrow up/down keys to move between previous/next row in continuous form

In a datasheet form we can navigate left/right as well as up/down, navigating between different rows of the recordset.

In continuous forms the up/down errors behave the same as left/right.

Nowadays, to achieve the described behavior we have to catch the KeyDown event in a continuous form and MoveNext or MovePrevious with error handling for first/last record etc.

Instead the behavior should be the same as in datasheet form.
    There can be an option similar to "Move after <Enter>".

42 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Forms  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Allow setting background color for Access desktop, and to change colors for form and report borders

I would like to use the grey background color of Access 2003 and also its blue border color for forms and reports. But now the background color of Access 2016 is white and the border color for forms and reports is white. In Access 2010 you were able to reproduce the 2003 look by setting some options, but that has been removed in Access 2016. Please advise if this capability exists, or please add it.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. enable a custom sort order in reports/queries

I have a report which sorts on the sort field alphabetically, but I do not want this. I need to define that the following sort is carried out but I can only sort in an ascending or descending order without adding a lookup to another table or altering my item names containing the following:

In progress
    Not started
    Ongoing
    Waiting for someone else

If I sort alphabetically they end up as

In Progress
    Ongoing
    Not Started
    Waiting for someone else.

Not started is more important to me than ongoing, so I would like it to appear before Ongoing, but the…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Fx ODBC issue where column name of 64 characters is 1 too many

When the Linked Table Manager sees a column name in a SQL Server table with 64 characters, it only uses the first 63 characters of that column name.

After linking, an attempt to view table data will fail, with the message

"ODBC--call failed"

"[Microsoft][ODBC Driver 17 for SQL Server][SQL Server]Invalid column name "'123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123'."

The column name in my table on SQL Server is:

"1234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234"

So Linked Table manager is truncating that for some reason.

There is a 64 character limit for object names.

I cannot find any documentation anywhere saying there is such a limit of 63 characters in ODBC…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  External Data Connectivity  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. A way to disseminate an Access program on non Access computers.

I work with one other group in another office. They could very much use the Access forms I have created on my computer but they don't have access installed. The people on the other computer do not have the ability or desire to create their own programs so buying Access would be a waste for them. There used to be a way to do this.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Local Data  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Access 2016: Form border width is too narrow .

Sizeable MDI forms in Access 2016 have a single-pixel border that is very hard to grab with the mouse.

The form borders show as a single-pixel whether the form mode is "no border", "dialog", "sizable" or "thin".

One work-around is to make the form a popup form, but if you make every single form in the database popup, you lose the MDI functionality and the ability to have a genuine popup form. When everything is on top then effectively nothing is.

This creates a serious accessibility issue particularly when combined with the fact that MS Access forms and controls don't…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Forms  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 39 40
  • Don't see your idea?

Access (Desktop Application)

Feedback and Knowledge Base