Access (Desktop Application)

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Keep trusted location and file across Access version

When a user trust a file or location, it should be unecessary to re-trust the file or location again after update to new version of Ms Access.

Two problems with this behaviour:
    1) As mentionend, it is strange for the user having to re-trust Access Application after it is trusted on previous version
    2) I use automation to run utility Access file from main Access app. They reside in same, trusted location as main app. If New version of Access breaks trusted location, then it will not help if user Accepts the main app as trusted - the utility apps…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  Automating Tasks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Collecting Data via Email

this feature was removed from office 2013 and I dont understand why as its much easier for users to fill out a form that comes as outlook email.
      Don't see any other feature we can use that are as simple and straight forward as that!

44 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
      • Naming

Naming rules
        When creating forms and report Access use the standard naming
        Labels as LabelsXX
        Buttons as CommandXXX
        And so ON
        What users do is that they rename this after own preferences

Labels as lbl_NameofControl
        Buttons as btn_MyName

This naming option should be customizable for each user so they can set their own rules for how the labels or buttons or other controls should get their name in MS Access

22 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          3 comments  ·  Automating Tasks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Ability to view the Field list in the VBA Code Module

When you are in the VBA Code Editor, and you want to refer to a field on the form, you have to flip back to the form to find the field name before you can use it.

It would life so much easier if the field names were listable in the code module in the View option as per the Object Command on the Form's Design View.

20 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
          • Fix Docmd.Transferspreadsheet

Microsoft Access and Microsoft Excel you would think would be hand in hand... but the problem has persisted for years that it has always been problematic getting the correct data types between Access and Excel columns when Importing and Exporting to and from Access to Excel and vice versa.

70 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              2 comments  ·  Automating Tasks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Improve Access programmability

There are many new technologies available that Access cannot take full advantage of because it's either in .NET or requires JavaScript.

Excel has a JavaScript API being developed and expanding. Using JavaScript would allow for richer integration between desktop and web apps where appropriate.

On the other hand, native access to .NET framework would provide access to many other components that Access can leverage for automation.

What we can't do is just stay behind in COM world - COM ecosystem is shrinking and we need a solid integration support especially when our Access application only requires a small part to…

413 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                Under Review  ·  11 comments  ·  Automating Tasks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Create APIs for existing email methods and other "canned" wizards

The existing email mechanics for sending emails to create/update data are nifty, but problematic.

1) they are so limited in terms of automatically enabling complex data handling and customized business rules - especially if attempting to inter-operate with other enterprise-level systems, like SAP or Dynamics as the final data repository. For example... wanting email approval of a work order or PO...the updates to the enterprise systems will require significant coding and implementation of business rules specific to the organization, but the email handling itself is relatively trivial.

2) the lack of ANY API accessibility in the email send/reply process, especially…

8 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                • Can we have an AutoExit capability?

If I (as a developer) want certain events to happen when the database is closed, I have to go through setting up code in a hidden form that executes when Access shuts down. This works but is sneaky and clumsy - especially when one is asked to maintain someone else's work and that person is no longer with the client. A simple cure is to allow an automated AutoExit macro that runs on close, exactly like Autoexec runs on open. And, like Autoexec, the proposed AutoExit will not run if we hold down the Shift key when closing the database.

7 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • Create an "expert mode" option that disables Access novice features in design mode.

For examples, it frustrates to me when Access decides to trial run my complicated or data intense cross-tab queries upon entering or exiting design mode. And sometimes it alters a failed query automatically when I open it in design mode. In all cases the auto changes are destructive, even when I try to close out of design without saving. There are many other automatic features for dummies that I'd love to disconnect but can't.

13 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      8 comments  ·  Automating Tasks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Disabled default "Name AutoCorrect Options"

And/or make it a permantent setting for all new databases after an user has change these settings

1 vote
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • Report Events Need To Be Cleaned Up

You really need to clean up the Report Event Model so that code inside a Report gets fired the same way in Preview, Report and Print modes. It is obvious from the Internet that lots of people have run into this and there is little or no common-sense help on this issue ... this itself is strange.

If, for example, you add a message box in the OnOpen Event of a report, the message box fires if you run Docmd.OpenReport with the acViewPreview switch but not if you use the acViewPrint or acViewReport switches.

If you place the same code…

2 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • Don't see your idea?

Access (Desktop Application)

Feedback and Knowledge Base