Feedback by UserVoice

Access (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Access Desktop feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.
We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Bug Report - The graphical problem on the screen in Query Design View mode.

The problem is happening when is moving horizontal line between Show Table area and Field area, when is holding this line with mouse button.
    During the moving of the line is copying the content of the Query Field area on the desktop area and in Access working area.
    This problem is happening on new PCs / CPU Intel i5-i7-i8 / Processor Graphics Intel HD-630/640 / Windows 10 (1803/1809/1903).
    For better understanding the problem I can send a picture of screen. Please, give me an e-mail address.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    3 comments  ·  Queries  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. kth Percentile function

Create an function to calculate kth Percentile as in excel that can be used in queries to calculate percent of grouped values

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Queries  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Allow the use of tables in update queries without requiring them to be writeable

When executing an update query with multiple tables, all tables are currently required to be writeable.

Please allow us to use read-only tables and queries as a source of data for update queries, e.g.

UPDATE MyWritableTable rw
    INNER JOIN MyReadOnlyTable ro ON ro.ID = rw.ID
    SET rw.Field1 = ro.Field1

Since there are no write actions to MyReadOnlyTable, this query should not require it to be writable, but it does.

The current behaviour is a common source of misunderstanding (I often see questions about it on Stack Overflow), and limits the ability to update/merge in data from read-only data sources.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. When a query fails due to data type mismatch - tell us what field in the error message.

When a query fails due to data type mismatch or some other field specific error - tell us what field in the error message.

28 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Queries  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Upgrade Access SQL dialect to current ANSI standards

MS Access's ACE SQL engine continues to run with a variant form of ANSI-89 with some ANSI-92 features while the rest of the relational database world has adopted more recent ANSI standards and at the very least fully comply to the universal, lowest common denominator standard accepted in the industry: ANSI-1992.

Being a highly used, worldwide database for small to medium-sized shops and its popularity with the Office suite, enhancing Access's dialect to industry standards will add value to current and future users including the Microsoft brand. Even SQLite, a similar, very popular file-level database as open-source counterpart to Access,…

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Perform subquery first, and then only apply outer query (with outer query clauses) on results of subquery, for faster, better queries

When I use a subquery in a query, I expect the outer query to only work on the results of the subquery. However, today, it appears that the outer query (the WHERE clause in particular), is not being strictly run on just the results of the subquery. Instead, the join in the subquery appears to be being ignored, and the WHERE clause is run on the much bigger dataset of the subquery minus its join. This is counter-intuitive and probably incorrect. Please fix this. I had a subquery that only returned two rows, but it appeared Access was performing an…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Increase maximum database size to 4GB and increase maximum Query size past the current 1GB limit

I have a 78 million record 2 field table that indexes both fields fine. When that table is 82 million records, neither field will index because of a query limit error. The 1 GB query limit must be interfering with the indexing of a table that would otherwise not violate the 2 GB limit?? Also, increase the size of the access database container to 4GB....not asking for SQL Server replacement, just something we can work with. MS upsized and oversized Excel years ago.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. SQL editor navigation from Create > Query Design

Create > Query Design serves a modal popup requiring dismissal in order to opt to open the SQL text edit window. It would be nice to save a click by having an option to select SQL view, which would dismiss the table selector and open the SQL text editor

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Increase the font size of queries shown in SQL view

When you show a query in SQL view the font size is minute. There seems to be no way of enlarging it.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Queries  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Fix Ukrainian locale issues

Fix bug in Ukrainian locale of Access, when it translates also aggregate functions (for example, Count or Sum) in design view, which tends query to have syntax errors (functions are inserted into SQL query in Ukrainian, not in their original form).
    Same bug is for Like operator in design view of queries and expression builder of field rules.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. An option needed to ignore accents and Low-High letters in queries for local and linked tables. Also multilingual characters like ü,è,á,etc.

An option needed to ignore accents and low-high letters in queries for local and linked tables. Also for multilingual characters like ü,è,á,etc.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Better ways to Access Scanned Templates

The only idea I got is hjow to make your purchased apps like Microsoft Office word and
    Publisher, Excel user Friendly as on Windows 10 your fighting all the way just to open something to edit , the bought programmes at least work well , cheers Brendon James

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Allow Control-A to Select All in Query Design View

In previous versions of Access, I could use Control-A to select all fields in a table within the query design view, then Control-Click on the certain field(s) to de-select. It is not always preferential to use the asterisk, particularly if you are doing something other than a delete query. This used to be supported, but looks like it went away after I upgraded to Office365. Thanks.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Allow Post it style notes to document queries when the QBE is open

The best place to add notes to a query is when the QBE is open and you can see what's going on

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Develop the SQL User Interface

SQL is something that I find particularly useful when I am running a database. However, the SQL user interface is very poor in my opinion. It should be more something like the Visual Basic interface, where when you start typing in a formula, then it has a dropdown with all your options and when you select the function from the dropdown, it will show you how to build the formula. For me it becomes very time consuming to have to go online to figure out how the function is built. Also it would be great if it can be colour…

26 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Add an option to disable the 'Show Table' dialog when creating a new query

It would be useful to be able to suppress the automatic display of the modal 'Show Table' dialog every time a new query is created.

Currently I instinctively hit 'Esc' when creating a new query, knowing that this dialog will be displayed.

I prefer to add tables/queries to my query by dragging them from the navigation bar.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. access 2016 crosstab

Crosstables should never have been removed.
    It just doesn't make sense to have to export the data to Excel and if the data changes, we need to export again.
    Please bring it back

57 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Queries  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. OST to PST Converter

On the off chance that your Outlook OST record has turned out to be broken or unparented due to a few reasons like infection assault, Trojan disease, awful server, Low system property, document assemble activity disappointment, equipment crash or bundle disappointment and you wish to ask back your OST record because of your OST document is in this way fundamental to you, at that point don't freeze you'll have the capacity to endeavor our OST record to PST document gadget bundle furthermore as OST to PST for working environment 2007. In the event that you wish to investigate the work…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Intellisense/Builder Improvements

In Access I often use the criteria Intellisense/Builder to help me get the vba string to drill down to a deeply nested subform. But Intellisense/Builder gives up about 3 forms in. It would be nice to be able to drill down further with the help of this tool.
    I am by no means an expert at Access but over time have created several useful tools over the years, with the help of many Access experts on line. I created a very comprehensive vacation calendar used by over 200 people (tied to an sql back end) for my employer prior to…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Action Query: List specific records/columns that violate index or validation

When running an action query, if records will be 'excluded' due to index or validation, give clear info as to what records & columns are causing the issue.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1
  • Don't see your idea?

Access (Desktop Application)

Categories