Feedback by UserVoice

Access (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Access Desktop feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.
We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Seamless SQL Query engine

It is really good to have (if not at the same level) basic MS SQL query syntax with Access. I see over the years it has never been updated.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Queries  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. OST to PST Converter

On the off chance that your Outlook OST record has turned out to be broken or unparented due to a few reasons like infection assault, Trojan disease, awful server, Low system property, document assemble activity disappointment, equipment crash or bundle disappointment and you wish to ask back your OST record because of your OST document is in this way fundamental to you, at that point don't freeze you'll have the capacity to endeavor our OST record to PST document gadget bundle furthermore as OST to PST for working environment 2007. In the event that you wish to investigate the work…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Queries  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. improve ACE / eliminate or expand limitations

Too many queries fail for obscure reasons. E.g., a crosstab that has a subquery somewhere in it. I bet there are already open defect on a lot of these issues from the JET days. Work them! Limitations like the 32 table limitation occasionally get in the way as well.

(Again hating to spend votes on defects, but it is what it is.)

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. 4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. non editable System Queries For Listbox etc.

Why not enableing the user to select "selected" columns / rows via Query - always looping thru itemselected is not very easy and intuitive.

Similar is with queries about Tables, queries, forms, reports, indizes fields (like in combobox) and Macros and all the other collections.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Intellisense/Builder Improvements

In Access I often use the criteria Intellisense/Builder to help me get the vba string to drill down to a deeply nested subform. But Intellisense/Builder gives up about 3 forms in. It would be nice to be able to drill down further with the help of this tool.
    I am by no means an expert at Access but over time have created several useful tools over the years, with the help of many Access experts on line. I created a very comprehensive vacation calendar used by over 200 people (tied to an sql back end) for my employer prior to…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. 3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Coalesce !

Please add a "Jet native" Coalesce() function, similar to the one in SQL Server ! NZ() has a lot of issues, like changing the data type, being slow.
    Using iif(xxx is null;yyy;xxx) works but is cumbersome, nad nearly unusable for chains > 2

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Perform subquery first, and then only apply outer query (with outer query clauses) on results of subquery, for faster, better queries

When I use a subquery in a query, I expect the outer query to only work on the results of the subquery. However, today, it appears that the outer query (the WHERE clause in particular), is not being strictly run on just the results of the subquery. Instead, the join in the subquery appears to be being ignored, and the WHERE clause is run on the much bigger dataset of the subquery minus its join. This is counter-intuitive and probably incorrect. Please fix this. I had a subquery that only returned two rows, but it appeared Access was performing an…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Please at least quadruple the number of database object handles available in Access

I frequently run up against the 2048 handle limit (and from the online searching for how to resolve this, it's clear that I'm not alone). PLEASE INCREASE the number of object handles available to Access.
    I'm supporting a reporting database that links to poorly designed tables (survey data in hundreds of fields that should be stored as records) in a vendor database that I have no control over. To make the data usable, I'm having to restructure the data, appending multiple union queries in order to get the data into a vertical format needed for our reporting needs. If I…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Fix Ukrainian locale issues

Fix bug in Ukrainian locale of Access, when it translates also aggregate functions (for example, Count or Sum) in design view, which tends query to have syntax errors (functions are inserted into SQL query in Ukrainian, not in their original form).
    Same bug is for Like operator in design view of queries and expression builder of field rules.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Abilty to add a drop down list for a query with criteria in square brackets

Currently in a query if you use Square brackets you can get a box to pop up asking for information when the query is run. Allow a form & combo box to be attached so it can be customised for the data to be picked up.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Action Query: List specific records/columns that violate index or validation

When running an action query, if records will be 'excluded' due to index or validation, give clear info as to what records & columns are causing the issue.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Queries  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. An option needed to ignore accents and Low-High letters in queries for local and linked tables. Also multilingual characters like ü,è,á,etc.

An option needed to ignore accents and low-high letters in queries for local and linked tables. Also for multilingual characters like ü,è,á,etc.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Add Tables Task Pane scroll wheel should scroll the list

Update the Add Tables Task Pane so if you've clicked into the list and scroll the mouse wheel it scrolls the list. Even better if the mouse is over the list and you scroll the wheel it should scroll the list.

Also arrow keys should allow you to move up and down on the list after you've click on an entry in the list.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Column Order in Queries

Is it really necessary to re-arrange the column order when I save a query? It tells me MS Access is reducing the QBE grid entries into SQL, optimizing that syntax and when asked for it later the presentation looks scrambled. While this may be needed internally, how much harder can it be to ask the internals to remember the column order?

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Queries  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Fix query engine issue.

The sub query, (SELECT Min(Year) FROM tblInsuredInformation AS i1 WHERE i1.RecordID = tblInsuredInformation.RecordID) AS [First Year], in the query below returns various year values that make sense for the data in the database.

The problem is that tblInsuredInformation doesn't have a Year field. It does have a FirstYear field.

tblPRFPolicies does have a Year field but I have verified that the calculated FirstYear column is not returning either tblInsuredInformation.Year or tblPRFPolicies.FirstYear. It could be returning Year in some records and FirstYear in other records.

If just SELECT Min(Year) FROM tblInsuredInformation is run, MS Access prompts for the value of Year,…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Queries  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Better ways to Access Scanned Templates

The only idea I got is hjow to make your purchased apps like Microsoft Office word and
    Publisher, Excel user Friendly as on Windows 10 your fighting all the way just to open something to edit , the bought programmes at least work well , cheers Brendon James

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. My access Query

My access Query with a wildcard is not working. Microsoft had me to change SQL and still not working.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Bug with Office update 2005 build 12827 - Decimal data type enforced in ADO recordset based on passthru query

In my testing
    ODBC connection to Postgres v11
    Create a passthru query "SELECT COUNT(id)::INTEGER AS counter FROM foo"
    Mark query as returning records
    Open ADO recordset on above query

Result:
    rs.Fields("counter").type = 20 ' DECIMAL ?!
    rs.Fields("counter").value = ""

Same error with "SELECT COUNT(id)::BIGINT AS counter FROM foo"

Current state:
    Have to revert MSO on 20+ backoffice client machines and hope that ADO will be reverted as well.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Access (Desktop Application)

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base