Feedback by UserVoice

Access (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Access Desktop feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.
We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Release an Office 2019 Access Runtime

The Access Team previously stated that "Access is included in all Office 365 plans and Access 2016 Runtime click-to-run is also available for customers".
    This leaves a gap for anyone that has installed a lower version of Office 2019 that does not include Access. The Access 2016 runtime will not install as it is MSI, the Office 365 access runtime will not install as it clashes with Office 2019, which it insists you uninstall.
    We are having to tell our customers to not install Office 2019.
    So please can we have a runtime that plays nicely with Office 2019

213 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    15 comments  ·  Runtime  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The current plan is to make Access RT 2019 available for customers to install from the Office Deployment Tool. This should be available in the second half of 2019.
    The recommendation for Office 2019 perpetual consumers, is (and will remain) to install the free version of O365 Access Runtime from the download page.

2. make set_spapprole work in a VBA context

SQL Server (see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/relational-databases/system-stored-procedures/sp-setapprole-transact-sql?view=sql-server-2017) has a great security feature to allow an app to assume a security role when connected to the server. This doesn't work from Access VBA. This leaves us having to give permissions to data that users can subvert. Whilst this can be mitigated, if Access could connect using a user account with no permissions, and switch to an app role with the right permissions security would be wonderful. SetAppRole is particular pleasant in that in the context we still know the original user who started the app.

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  External Data Connectivity  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. All the 32 bit dll and ocx should work in 64 bit os and office

We are working with 32-bit add-ins for access. But it is not possible to work in 64 bit system which I am using.

20 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Forms  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. State of the Art Replacement for Active X MS Calendar

Everything revolves around time and Microsoft Active X Calendar is(was?) the perfect tool to use in a lot of applications we've prepared over the years. This gem works seamlessly even in continuous forms while current datepickers associated with textboxes won't do and subforms won't do and equally seamlessly integrates with VBA code and queries and control sources SQL. It doesn't work in Access 64 bit so it's about time to come up with a state-of-the-art replacement but even simply enabling it for 64 bit would suffice.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Forms  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. BugFix: Combo Datatype bug

Please fix the combo box RowSource datatype binding bug.

The bug is as follows:
    1. Create a table [Table1] with two columns:
    - [NumberField], datatype: Number, Double
    - [TextField], datatype: Short Text

Add 1 Row to the table:
    [NumberField] = 10
    [TextField] = "Some Text 10"

2. Create a combo box:
    - Set the RowSource of the combo box to this:
    SELECT NumberField, TextField FROM Table1;

3. Add a Button to the form: [cmbErrorExample]
    Add On Click Event:
    If Me.cmbErrorExample.RowSource = "SELECT NumberField, TextField FROM Table1;" Then
    Me.cmbErrorExample.RowSource = "SELECT TextField, NumberField FROM Table1;"
    Me.cmbErrorExample.DefaultValue = "Some Text 10"
    Me.cmbErrorExample.Value…

34 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Forms  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Bug Report - The graphical problem on the screen in Query Design View mode.

The problem is happening when is moving horizontal line between Show Table area and Field area, when is holding this line with mouse button.
    During the moving of the line is copying the content of the Query Field area on the desktop area and in Access working area.
    This problem is happening on new PCs / CPU Intel i5-i7-i8 / Processor Graphics Intel HD-630/640 / Windows 10 (1803/1809/1903).
    For better understanding the problem I can send a picture of screen. Please, give me an e-mail address.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Queries  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Changing theme in access 365 proplus

It seems not possible to change the theme to black in Access 365 ProPlus. I have installed on another computer Access 365 Home and I can change it there. Further, all other ProPlus applications can be changed to Black. I have set the "UI" in registry editor to 4 which enables the colour options to increase to 4 - Colorful, Dark, Black, and White. only colorful and white are available in Access ProPlus, access home there are all 4 colours available

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Fix Windows 10 1803 Frontend - Backend corruption issues

We have some databases with a split front end (stored on local computer) and backend (stored on a server mapped via relative path) using Access 2016 (build 9126.2259). Since upgrading many computers to Windows 10 1803 the backend database constantly becomes corrupt. We have to disable the three caches referenced in the article linked below in order for the corruption to stop, but this makes file server operations much slower while also causing unnecessary network traffic. We never had this issue on Windows 10 1703.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/it-pro/windows-7/ff686200(v=ws.10)

140 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Allow the use of tables in update queries without requiring them to be writeable

When executing an update query with multiple tables, all tables are currently required to be writeable.

Please allow us to use read-only tables and queries as a source of data for update queries, e.g.

UPDATE MyWritableTable rw
    INNER JOIN MyReadOnlyTable ro ON ro.ID = rw.ID
    SET rw.Field1 = ro.Field1

Since there are no write actions to MyReadOnlyTable, this query should not require it to be writable, but it does.

The current behaviour is a common source of misunderstanding (I often see questions about it on Stack Overflow), and limits the ability to update/merge in data from read-only data sources.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Queries  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Access Add-ins are removed after every Office update (bug)

Every time I get an Office update, my Access Add-ins are uninstalled. This has been going on for at least a year. It doesn't affect all add-ins, about 1/4 of them stay (I have 26 installed). These may be ones that were installed with an .exe installer.

I think this is a bug but I don't think it will get a lot of attention because Access Add-ins aren't that popular. If you use add-ins and have seen this happen please vote.

My work around for this has been to use RegEdit to save my add-in registry settings to a .reg…

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. When a query fails due to data type mismatch - tell us what field in the error message.

When a query fails due to data type mismatch or some other field specific error - tell us what field in the error message.

25 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Queries  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Add a TreeGrid Control

A TreeGrid control could be used in forms, or as just a Tree control. This should be a somewhat customizable look and feel.

39 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Have a box to check to not use client ID's on reports

We are a small firm. We do not use client ID's for anything. You should have a feature, or box to check, for small firms that don't use IDs to check so that we do not see them on any reports that print. It looks terrible to see a client ID that was created for a client on a report that will never ever be used. You should have the box on the Primary Contact screen to suppress IDs when creating new clients OR a box when running due date reports to run to mark x to not see/use the…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. improve performance of conditional formating

conditional formating is a great feature but slow when data is not small and forms flicker. Can you please improve that?
    By the way: Shadows of Buttons flicker too.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Fix Bug - Forms with ActiveX controls cause Exception 0xc0000374 since at least 16.0.11727.20118

Opening/using forms that contain ActiveX controls, notably "Microsoft TreeView Control, version 6.0" cause Access to crash since at least version 16.0.11727.20210 on the Monthly channel. No versions in the Semi-annual (Targeted) channel seem to have this bug (yet).

The forms affected usually crash within moments of opening, but occasionally will work to some degree for several seconds.

Faulting application name: MSACCESS.EXE, version: 16.0.11727.20210, time stamp: 0x5d0d79e6
    Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.18362.1, time stamp: 0x9bbcb4a9
    Exception code: 0xc0000374
    Fault offset: 0x000df8cd
    Faulting process ID: 0x50d4
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d52cbe9164d25e
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Root\Office16\MSACCESS.EXE
    Faulting module path:…

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Upgrade Access SQL dialect to current ANSI standards

MS Access's ACE SQL engine continues to run with a variant form of ANSI-89 with some ANSI-92 features while the rest of the relational database world has adopted more recent ANSI standards and at the very least fully comply to the universal, lowest common denominator standard accepted in the industry: ANSI-1992.

Being a highly used, worldwide database for small to medium-sized shops and its popularity with the Office suite, enhancing Access's dialect to industry standards will add value to current and future users including the Microsoft brand. Even SQLite, a similar, very popular file-level database as open-source counterpart to Access,…

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Queries  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Access database in an inconsistent state...Windows 10 1803 update

Access database in an inconsistent state....since the release of Windows 10, 1803 our significant percentage of our 3500 customers have consistently lost connection to the back-end database and been forced to stop work during the day to repair their database. Only recently did we discover the leasing fix. In the meantime, our product reputation has been adversely affected. Please release a production update since many of the IT people have refused to make the lanmanserver registry entry and are waiting for the Windows update. HELLO MICROSOFT PLEASE HELP!!

56 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  External Data Connectivity  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. splitter control

A splitter control similar to the infragistics Vb6 control was one of my favourites.. It allowed you to apportion the screen in panels, great for displaying more than one thing at once. Saves alot of code in the resize event.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Base Access

Hello
    I use Access since its version1. Until today I have not found an equivalent in terms of reliability and speed in development. Since then many improvements have been made on various options, except to the engine of the base. What it lacks today is native access to SQL express server. This would help with a seamless, easy and efficient transition to standard SQL server.
    Thank you.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  External Data Connectivity  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 43 44
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base