Feedback by UserVoice

Access (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Access Desktop feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.
We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add a VBA method to the Navigation Pane so the Search Bar text can be cleared or set

I have developed a few Access Add-ins that I use to extend the development environment (like a Navigation Pane replacement with features like Access 2003). I'm able to use VBA to select an object on the Navigation Pane, but only if it's visible in the current Search filter. I'd like you to add a method to the Navigation Pane so I can clear the Search Bar, or even better allow me to set the value. Does adding a method like this cause a lot of heartache for the Access team?

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Bring back a basic security option urgently

Since 2007 they left out the possibility to secure your database in a customized way.
    I still can't believe it! Anyhow, personally i don't need the entire workgroup system on user level of the past. But I (we?) need urgently something that prevent that some one can change what I have built! Just a simple setting "allow design/changes" YES or NO. (And of course an administrator right to change this setting.) This setting must include the database properties so that for instance setting of the AllowbypassKey cannot be changed.

A simple direct quit/close on your database if someone tries to…

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Modify form and report designer to allow use to add (sub) sections (detail/group/header/footers)

I would find the ability to add additional sections would give greater design capability. Similar functionality to that provided in Crystal Reports.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Forms  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Put a button on all Reports to allow them to be closed

The button should be at the top and not be visible on the printed report.

Users are perplexed when there is no obvious way to close a Report in Print Preview. The Ribbon may not be visible and users may not realise they can Right Click to show the Context Menu.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Create a customizable validator for textbox

Access has a field validator in table designer.

But in forms would be good to have, for example, predefined (and customizable) validators, like e-mail, directly on textboxes. And, instead of a message box, we can paint the control and show a tooltip with error.

For reference, take a look at section "validator" in Bootstrap or Material design.

Thanks!

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Forms  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. file corruption. make access more robust. even with sql server backend is frontend corruption a problem

I would think after all these years MS has a pretty good knowldge about reasons for file corruption. It is quite the joy when The dreaded dialog that deletes Your vba Project appears...

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Remove the orange selection border in design view.

I guess this border is introduced in order to see more clearly which control is selected. However this selection border now hides the border of the selected controls and for this reason you need to deselect the control to see how they are aligned with other controls or to view how the placement shows is within the design.

And if the control is not place how you want, you need to select it again, move it a little with the arrow keys, deselect it to view the result, etc.
    In earlier version of Access, without this orange border, this works…

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Forms  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Create an "expert mode" option that disables Access novice features in design mode.

For examples, it frustrates to me when Access decides to trial run my complicated or data intense cross-tab queries upon entering or exiting design mode. And sometimes it alters a failed query automatically when I open it in design mode. In all cases the auto changes are destructive, even when I try to close out of design without saving. There are many other automatic features for dummies that I'd love to disconnect but can't.

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  Automating Tasks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Support strong-typed nullable data types.

In VBA, we can only store nulls in a Variant data type. But I hate this because this lacks information whether this is a string, a number or date. In SQL, those data types are all nullable but we have to constantly do Nz(), IsNull(), to avoid the nefarious error "Invalid use of Null".

Please make it possible for us to specify a nullable data type so that we also know this can be only either a null or a number (and thus prevent invalid entries of string in addition to writing self-documenting code).

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. 7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Fix how the tabbed interface behaves when switching to design view

When using the tabbed interface, if you switch a form out of Form view to Design view, the interface changes to the next tab in the sequence. You have to manually re-select the tab you were working on each time, which is really annoying. This bug affects all versions that support the tabbed interface, from what I have observed.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Forms  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

With the latest version of Access, we are not able to reproduce the issue you are describing.
    If you still experience problems with the tabbed interface please provide information about the version you are using, and steps to reproduce.

Thanks,
    Access Engineering

12. VBA Application Add-Ins

Create a new type of VBA add-in (*.accda) that loads before the database is loaded, can display its own ribbon and is unloaded after the database is unloaded. This would enable VBA programmers to build application add-ins like in Excel or Word.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Import from Access to hide and ignore Msys tables

If you have set your nav pane options to show system objects, they should not show in the Import list.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. USysNotes Object for documentation

When creating objects such as forms and reports it would useful to be able to have a dialogue form where you can key in notes and a date to keep documentation current. Have a few columns for date, user notes and developer notes. On the ribbon, have a notes icon which will open the notes to the current object for display and edit. Have it link to the ID Field in Msysobject table.

27 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  Local Data  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Global practice of changing defaults to New and "Improved" features

Microsoft has this extremely annoying practice of changing a feature and making it the new default. For example I personally do NOT like tabbed documents. I recognize other people like it. Who decides the tabbed document protocol is "better" (it is not!) and very annoyingly making it the default. This is just one example. Many others should come to mind.

Please understand some of us have been using Access for a very long time. When I open a new version, my first pulse pounding moments are filled with, "Oh God! What has the Access team "improved" now? Until I find…

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Disabled default "Name AutoCorrect Options"

And/or make it a permantent setting for all new databases after an user has change these settings

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Automating Tasks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Report View: Hide empty subreport

In print preview and normal view, if a supreport is empty, it gets hidden. Please do the same for Report view.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Dialog Box Sizes

Do NOT have ANY dialog boxes that are limited in size, esp. when they open modally (do not let you click outside their zone of control).
    Linked Table Manager is one. Library File management dialog box is another (where we go to tell it where a new or missing dll file is located). There are others. Simply stop using this very old protocol.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. 15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    11 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. import from excel

Better control of datatypes when importing from Excel or linking to a worksheet.

Currently the import decides for you using the first few rows, so often you have truncated memo fields when the first few rows are less than 255 char or errors when the first few rows are numeric but later rows are alpha numeric.

When importing into an existing table the import should honor the datatypes in the table.

23 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Access (Desktop Application)

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base