Feedback by UserVoice

Access (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Access Desktop feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.
We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Increase the maximum file size from 2GB upwards

I know that this idea has been floated twice before and I also note that the Access team have responded and indicated that this is not part of the development and I also note that its been closed so more votes cannot be taken on it. Thought it was important to re-open because its actually quite a popular idea. I understand that SQL Server / SQL Azure or SQL Express are the way to go if users are wanting larger backends but for quick and dirty working for ETL projects or random data analysis of large datasets individuals may not…

83 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    8 comments  ·  Local Data  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Replace VBA with VBA.net.

Replace VBA with VBA.net. You exist because of your customer. Develop solutions to your customers' needs, not your agenda. CUSTOMERS' NEEDS = VBA.NET! I don't understand why your company does not grasp this necessity. Good grief!!

36 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    No Current Plan  ·  4 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. multi core

Multi Threading for MS Access. As we all know ms Access is a single threaded application. If you all remember the fun of seeing, "this program is not responding" during a particularly heavy query or task. Multi threading would add huge value to the speed efficiency and capabilities of this application. I realize it would make visual studio WPF not as much of a stand out but lets be honest Access needs to get some real loving (not silly things like a search bar).

61 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    No Current Plan  ·  1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Let Access automatically detect the Outlook Version installed on a User's PC and have that Outlook Versions Library automatically installed.

If Access can automatically identify the current version of Outlook installed on the users PC and automatically have that Outlook Versions Library installed will save a lot of time and confusion for the Developer. The Developer will not have to physically intervein with the Library settings and he can distribute the Access application to a mixed environment that has mixed versions of Outlook.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    No Current Plan  ·  2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Add UWP/Fluent Controls

The currently available controls look ancient (Think Windows 3.1). Why not add new controls that allow developers to match the look and feel of Windows 10?

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    No Current Plan  ·  0 comments  ·  Forms  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Implement a way to disable office clipboard

Hi,
    While working with Access, I constantly do ctrl+c,ctrl+v to copy/paste from/to office and other applications. When the Office clipboard is full, the keys stop working until you manually "Clear all" the Office Clipboard. It gets full very very often. Please allow a way to completely disable office clipboard for office and / or individual applications inside office, or a feature to implement a 'rolling' clipboard stack pile where older elements are automatically erased, so clipboard never got full. Please. A lot of people complains about this on lots of websites as I saw.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    No Current Plan  ·  1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Add PowerQuery to ACCESS

PowerQuery is the best improvement for collecting data for Excel since many years. I would love to use it in Access too, without using Excel.
    I would like to extract data from SAP, WEB, CSV-Files, collect all files from a folder, de-pivot files... Any ETL job PowerQuery supplies für Excel, but directly in Access!
    (I posted this two years ago using other words)

630 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    52 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

PowerQuery is a great Excel feature which allows users to discover, combine and refine data across a wide variety of sources.
    Access allows users to connect to a wide array of external data sources in a way that is unique to Access users and scenarios.
    When we think of data management solutions across Office, we think of Excel and Access as somewhat complementary products, but not competing.
    With that, duplicating capabilities from one product to another is not supportive of this perspective.
    We are looking at further enhancing and improving Access’s abilities to connect to external data sources, but not in the form of integrating PowerQuery.

8. Allow MS Office to be installed in different country though it is purchased in another country

I bought Dell laptop and MS Office 2013 license in 2014 when I was living in Australia. I shifted to India 2 years back and unfortunately, I had to format my Dell laptop and I hence I have to reinstall my Office 2013. But while installing it I am getting error ""This product couldn't be activated because the product key can only be activated in certain geographic regions". When I contacted support center, they informed me that there is Geo Block on one time purchase product keys and I have to pay additional charges if I have to get new…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Queries  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Allow MS Office to be installed in different country though it is purchased in another country

I bought Dell laptop and MS Office 2013 license in 2014 when I was living in Australia. I shifted to India 2 years back and unfortunately, I had to format my Dell laptop and I hence I have to reinstall my Office 2013. But while installing it I am getting error ""This product couldn't be activated because the product key can only be activated in certain geographic regions". When I contacted support center, they informed me that there is Geo Block on one time purchase product keys and I have to pay additional charges if I have to get new…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Queries  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Create a template for a username & password book

Create a template to record usernames, passwords etc. I use an address book, but it would be nice to have a pre-completed template on here

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Have the option to copy sales orders

We have the option to copy purchase orders but not sales orders, this would be a big advantage when our customer request repeat orders.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    No Current Plan  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. VBA Updates

'~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    VBA Native line numbering
    '~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Adding line numbers is something that is a pet peeve. Line numbers should be Native and error trappable by default without having to add them manually.

'~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    VBA Accessible Call Stack
    '~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    A way to read from the call stack, function/sub names in order accessed, times accessed...etc

'~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    VBA Custom Toolbars to allow custom Macro/Function Calls
    '~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If I could add my ow custom functions as a toolbar button and have my toolbar exportable and importable for others to use. As opposed to a full Add-In.

'~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    VBA button and/or right click to open…

23 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Add Property Sheet contextual help

For new users, the Property Sheet for most objects is loaded with options, most of which are optional. However, some are not optional depending on the user's intent...mostly to do with binding objects to other tables, etc. If Access were a bit "smarter" it may be able to determine what a user is trying to do and highlight the appropriate Properties required to be modified along with a brief explanation, or a link to RELEVANT help.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Forms  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Allow Access to Linked Table Manager in RunTime Version

This would allow developers to ensure their Access Application will work on Client Systems where the Backend is on a different Server to the development one.
    Often, even after installation, Client Hardware can be updated and a change of path to the Backend is required. This simple option would save hours of configuration time.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Runtime  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The Access RunTime version is intended to run Access solutions and not to allow users to design them. Clearly the Linked Table Manager is a developers’ tool and therefore isn’t visible in the runtime.

Access Engineering

15. Enrich VBA, take it out of maintenance mode

So VBA was put into maintenance mode, Microsoft moved programmers to .NET. That was years ago. Office Desktop apps are still selling with VBA and yet VBA has not been enhanced - the two environments do not compete and I have not seen .NET intrinsically replace VBA and packaged as Office's internal programming language. There are so many ways that VBA can be enhanced. Linq can be added so that we are not typing mutiple quotes in unverified statements isolated in a string. String Interpolation. Managing large chunks of text in strings etc.. etc...

47 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. bug - New 2018 Black and grey themes

Changing to the new black theme and then closing out of access completely - re open access and change theme to colorful and the navigation search bar remains black, changing to grey and back to colorful also does not change the search bar back to white.

The black theme is a nice idea and aligns itself with windows themes and visual studio however the implementation leaves a lot to be desired. Disabled ribbon button labels are too dark and don't have enough contrast to be visible. Open a query editor window and try to read the labels in the bottom…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for providing feedback on the recent added support of Dark and Black themes in Access.
    Ribbon colors have consistent behavior across Office apps and we do not have a plan to change that.
    Switching between themes without restarting Access may result in somewhat funky behavior and is unfortunate. However, we believe that ’s not a very frequent operation.

Regards,
    Access Engineering.

17. If Microsoft plans to increase the Sales of MS-Access, please have a MAC Version created

Hello Team,
    The Standard Version of Office runs really cool without any doubt on a MAC. But there are millions of MAC users who don't use MAC for Graphics or Animation development but instead look at it as a Stable Machine that can run MS-OFFICE...(Wink).
    The real crux in the MAC Office version is MS-Access which when integrated with Outlook is a perfect combination. But the sad part is its missing and only you can make it happen.
    There are Millions of Applications out there which should be running on a MAC which really aren't cause there is no MAC…

20 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    No Current Plan  ·  1 comment  ·  Product Marketing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Create a way to see other users accessing the same object.

If there was a way to see other users on the same object it would make it so much easier. The risk for deleting data would be gone.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    No Current Plan  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. MS Access on MAC

At this moment I'm a subscriber of Office 365, but always I worked with Ms Access. Now, I have a Mac book Pro and is not possible install it. I also work with other tools, like Excel, but I would like to see the MS Access to be compatible with IOS system, because it's a wonderful tool, and I can't have both systems (Windows and Mac).

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Queries  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Please restore the Pivot Tables to MS Access 2013

Many people in my off use the pivot tables that I produced in MS Access, since the change they are now just useless datasheets. I can not expect the staff in the office to export the data and convert it to pivot tables in MS Excel. Please return this feature ASAP. Thanks

36 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    9 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We realize that Pivot Tables and Charts have been a great feature and many Access users found them to be highly useful.
    As you may already know, they have been removed as the technology they relied on, was no longer supported (Office Web Components).

At this point we have no plan to bring Pivot Tables and Charts back. However we are looking into ways to improve and modernize data visualization in Access.

Stay tuned.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8
  • Don't see your idea?

Access (Desktop Application)

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base