Feedback by UserVoice

Access (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Access Desktop feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.
We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Improve Access SQL

Access SQL is currently an extremely small subset of the SQL most other SQL dialects understand. The simple INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE commands are a good example, i.e. an OUTPUT clause would be of great help or many other syntax extensions well known from other SQL dialects.
    Also the integration of a CTE like construct like with SQL Server would be a great step forward.
    And Access SQL would also be much better if it would have support for XML output like with "FOR XML AUTO" in SQL Server. Querying with XML would be a little bit "too much" although not uninterestingly, but…

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Custom naming on message boxes

When using the vbYesNo message box you can only have 'Yes' or 'No' options. I would like to be able to rename these options. Currently the only way round it is to create a form to look like a message box.

36 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Forms  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Make Reports Into There Own File Format Like .RPT

Microsoft Access is pretty nice when it comes to reporting. The biggest drawback with reporting in a production environment is that it is bound to the application... i.e. many times customers want a small change on reports and you have to distribute a whole new version just to make a minor change that may have only taken 5 minutes! You should give Access report the ability to be exportable into a file format like SSRS or Crystal... this way we can edit and replace reports without having to re version the full applicaton.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Export Report to Word as Good As PDF.

It's an Office Product! should a PDF export look better than your own product? I do not even know why Reports have the ability to export to word because they look horrible! I think it would be better if you just took away that feature all together if your not going to fix it... because really who exports to Word when it looks like that?

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Create ACE Engine Redistributable for Access 2016!

Since Office Click-to-Run Installs can result in the ODBC / OLE-DB Drivers for ACE NOT being visible to the system outside of the VDI install environment, we need a CURRENT version of the ACE engine redistributable package (the last one being from Access 2010 - 6 YEARS AGO!)

For more info see: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2874601

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  External Data Connectivity  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Make Access THE go to tool for RAD against SQL.

Don't ditch Access as it is in favour of the web apps. Make Access THE go to tool for rapid application development against SQL databases. Integrate SQL tools within Access. Freshen up the forms and reports designers, AND the VBA editor. Make it easier to lock down the finished application so users can't bypass the start up options and get to design and data.
    Yes, we have >net, VB/C# etc. but to build a quick app for departmental use, Access has got to be the tool of choice.

134 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Local Data  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Support PDF output with password encryption like Word

We should be able to generate reports as PDFs with a password. MS Word has an encryption option when saving a Word Doc to PDF.

For security reasons, more and more organizations want to have encrypted data at rest and in emails. ACCDBs support encryption, so it'd be helpful if it's PDF outputs could too.

It should be available from the user interface and as an option programmatically (DoCmd.OutputTo acFormatPDF).

34 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. When a datasheet is filtered, the download button should respect the filter.

If a user has selected the rows that they are interested in by means of the filters on the datasheet they will expect that the download will deliver a spreadsheet with those rows. Instead they are getting the full list of records and must repeat the filter in excel.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Datasheet  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Forms  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Implement Huron project which synchronized local database copies with a SQL database in the cloud

Many years ago the Huron Project was pulled just as it was about to go to beta. Basically it kept local Access databases in sync with a SQL database master but in a way that was largely transparent to the user. In Western Australia connectivity is an issue so the ability to work offline is essential.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Enable Password Decryption using a different Password

Users having the ability to Decrypt the Database is a huge security liability. Unencrypted databases enable Remote Queries which are very simple to create. Even the System Tables can be access by Remote Queries from another database.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Enhance Union-Query architecture that total field count more over 255

Please re-design that a Union query of MS Access deal with more over 255 source fields totaly like 1024 or 65535 fields.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Queries  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Modify form and report designer to allow use to add (sub) sections (detail/group/header/footers)

I would find the ability to add additional sections would give greater design capability. Similar functionality to that provided in Crystal Reports.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Forms  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Subform in continous form

Today we can't use a subform in a continous form.

172 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    10 comments  ·  Forms  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Make Access an SDI program

I mis-wrote yesterday. What I propose is that Access offer an SDI user interface - Forms etc.. don't have to be modal and display in separate windows. Word and Excel have been upgraded to that mode of display, why not Access.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Fix query engine issue.

The sub query, (SELECT Min(Year) FROM tblInsuredInformation AS i1 WHERE i1.RecordID = tblInsuredInformation.RecordID) AS [First Year], in the query below returns various year values that make sense for the data in the database.

The problem is that tblInsuredInformation doesn't have a Year field. It does have a FirstYear field.

tblPRFPolicies does have a Year field but I have verified that the calculated FirstYear column is not returning either tblInsuredInformation.Year or tblPRFPolicies.FirstYear. It could be returning Year in some records and FirstYear in other records.

If just SELECT Min(Year) FROM tblInsuredInformation is run, MS Access prompts for the value of Year,…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Queries  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Listbox update

Have a fully programmable listbox with events like comctl listbox and treeview we had. Sizable columns, header click, sorting, image support.

65 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    9 comments  ·  Forms  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Add a VBA method to the Navigation Pane so the Search Bar text can be cleared or set

I have developed a few Access Add-ins that I use to extend the development environment (like a Navigation Pane replacement with features like Access 2003). I'm able to use VBA to select an object on the Navigation Pane, but only if it's visible in the current Search filter. I'd like you to add a method to the Navigation Pane so I can clear the Search Bar, or even better allow me to set the value. Does adding a method like this cause a lot of heartache for the Access team?

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Make Access fully MDI

Although the UI of MS Access has been modernised with Office Fluent Ribbon, Access is not fully MDI - all the displayed objects - forms, tables etc.. still display within the current window. How about keeping up with Word and Excel programs, have the option for each object to display in a separate Window?

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Forms  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Create APIs for existing email methods and other "canned" wizards

The existing email mechanics for sending emails to create/update data are nifty, but problematic.

1) they are so limited in terms of automatically enabling complex data handling and customized business rules - especially if attempting to inter-operate with other enterprise-level systems, like SAP or Dynamics as the final data repository. For example... wanting email approval of a work order or PO...the updates to the enterprise systems will require significant coding and implementation of business rules specific to the organization, but the email handling itself is relatively trivial.

2) the lack of ANY API accessibility in the email send/reply process, especially…

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Automating Tasks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Access (Desktop Application)

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base