Feedback by UserVoice

Access (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Access Desktop feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.
We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. I love PowerQuery for Excel for any ETL-jobs. Same tool for ACCESS?

For many ETL-Jobs in EXCEL I use PowerQuery. Many jobs, formely done with VBA, can now be solved codeless.

I would like to use the same techniques in ACCESS, e.g. collect many txt-files from one folder, unpivotize etc...

Greetings to the community!

Peter Rühm

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

PowerQuery is a great Excel feature which allows users to discover, combine and refine data across a wide variety of sources.
    Access allows users to connect to a wide array of external data sources in a way that is unique to Access users and scenarios.
    When we think of data management solutions across Office, we think of Excel and Access as somewhat complementary products, but not competing.
    With that, duplicating capabilities from one product to another is not supportive of this perspective.
    We are looking at further enhancing and improving Access’s abilities to connect to external data sources, but not in the form of integrating PowerQuery.

2. g

Native integration of vb.net

22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Integration of vb.net for programming

Nativ Support for SQl Server

65 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Reactivate "Require Variable Declaration" and "Option Explicit"

The option "Require Variable Declaration" in the VBA Editor's Options dialog is deactivated by default. So "Option Explicit" is not added automatically to new modules. If unexperienced programmers forget to declare variables this can result in unexpected errors.

It seems that you could easily change the default value of this option to "activated" (it is one key in the windows registry).

I don't even understand why the default value of this option was changed.

134 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Offline Help

Put offline help back into Access 2016. From what I have read online, no one is able to find it and there are many who need it. I don't have Internet access at home and I want to be able to work from home.

76 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your suggestion.
    The Help system is actually a shared piece of engineering owned by a different team and surfaced within all of the Office applications. As such, this isn’t really an action item that the Access development team can take in isolation of the existing Office system.
    We have passed on this feedback though to the correct team for their consideration. They did ask us to forward on the following information to you:
    You can download an Access 2016 VBA CHM file on GitHub for offline use. You can find it here:
    https://github.com/OfficeDev/VBA-content/blob/master/README.md

Thanks,
    Michal [MSFT]

6. Reports:"fit to page" sizing options, like Excel has.

I've been requesting this since Access version 1!! Why can reports not allow you to "fit to page"? It's always been ludicrous that, in Design, when placing controls, one has no idea whether they will fit within the margins or not - you have to go into Print Preview to check! An option to fit the report onto one page, and perhaps scaling options like Excel has, would make reports so much more effective and easy to create. I cannot believe that tis cannot be achieved.

47 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for posting and supporting.

Although a valuable suggestion and we can see how it can be useful to many, currently there is no plan to support this.
    However, we’d like to recommend using Layout view which will mitigate some of the problems mentioned.

Thanks,
    The Access Team

7. Access for Apple PC's

Can we have a version of Access that will work on Macs. As a developer, it is a real turn-off when I have to tell people that the only way they can use an Access Database is via the Web or via Remote Access.

Access could then claim to be a universal database.

72 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    10 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. 2016 SQL Edit bug: If there is a Where and no group by, can not edit without Error 1001

Can not make any change to the SQL (even adding a space and taking it out) for any SQL with a WHERE clause but no GROUP BY. For example, to put a DISTINCT after the SELECT.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for reporting.
    We will add this bug report to our backlog and see that it is prioritized and handled.
    In the meantime, I’m updating the status for ‘No Current Plan’ so that you use your votes again.

Thanks,
    Michal [MSFT]

9. FIX BUG: runtime error when resizing subreports in a report using VBA

If you have a report that needs to resize a subform control containing a subreport for each record, you'd like to change the subforms width and height properties in Format event procedure. In preview this leads to a runtime error "not enough system resources".

Changing the size in Load event procedure works properly. But you can't have indivual sizes for each record.

I encountered this issue in Access 2010.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for reporting.
    We will add this bug report to our backlog and see that it is prioritized and handled.
    In the meantime, I’m updating the status for ‘No Current Plan’ so that you use your votes again.

Thanks,
    Michal [MSFT]

10. Collecting Data via Email

this feature was removed from office 2013 and I dont understand why as its much easier for users to fill out a form that comes as outlook email.
    Don't see any other feature we can use that are as simple and straight forward as that!

52 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    No Current Plan  ·  1 comment  ·  Automating Tasks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. STOP Teaching Students BAD Practices

OK I get it... you supposedly don't need to be a developer to use Access and that's great. But really you should stop training everyone who doesn't know any better that it's ok to do things like place spaces and weird character in object names. It will eventually bite you even within Access as soon as you move to VBA or a SQL Server backend.

Just because it can be done doesn't mean it should. It's just all around bad practice and eventually everyone who continues on to use Access will learn the hard lesson that is not taught in…

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    No Current Plan  ·  5 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Get Rid of 2gb file size limit because Access can be an awesome tool for Ad Hoc data analysis

I can live with the idea that transactional databases >2gb should live on SQL server. But what if I need a tool to investigate data in an 80gb csv file? Yes, I can do this on SQL server, but getting my hands on a server and permissions, etc is a weighty task. Internal data likely already exists in a SQL server (which I can connect to via ODBC), but more and more often I'm dealing with huge flat or csv files from third parties or other public sources.

Access is an awesome tool for ad hoc analysis work, I'd like…

63 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Integration with Cortana for navigation purposes

Add navigation commands such as “Open”, “First Record”, “Next Record”, “Previous Record” and “Last Record”.
    The “Open” command would be followed by the Form or Report…”Open Sales Order”…”Open Purchase Order”.
    If possible a “Find” command would really rock. “Open Contact Maintenance”, “Find Jane Smith”.

These commands would be very useful in a mobile environment.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. OSX Support

Would be great to see this application on Apple's operating system.

24 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Put the ADP file option back into Access 2013 and beyond...

ADP's provide a simple connection to SQL server. In addition, Forms and reports have properties that simplify retrieving data.

95 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    No Current Plan  ·  19 comments  ·  External Data Connectivity  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. PNG transparency bug in MS Access 2003,2007,2010,2013 and if not also in the 2016 version?

Take this message to explain the error in the transparency of PNG.
    This bug is crawling from the first version of MsAccess PNG transparencies disappear when sent to the printer, if anyone solved this problem please tell him that I do or how to solve it, probe with Msacccess 2013 and continues the bug ... today is 01/16/2016 ....
    Leo Poster and websites, observed in the examples that come out and check on my little exercises, which is possible in the new Access 2010 version include pictures in various supported formats (.jpg .png .gif etc, etc) in forms and reports,…

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for reporting.

Thanks,
    Michal [MSFT]

17. Put Pivot Tables back into Access. Surely a database should be able to analyse data, including text fields. This cannot be done in Excel.

Put Pivot Tables back into Access. Surely a database should be able to analyse data, including text fields. This cannot be done in Excel which can only handle numeric data. Our business uses them extensively and currently we cannot find an alternative.

324 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    32 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Naming

Naming rules
    When creating forms and report Access use the standard naming
    Labels as LabelsXX
    Buttons as CommandXXX
    And so ON
    What users do is that they rename this after own preferences

Labels as lblNameofControl
    Buttons as btn
    MyName

This naming option should be customizable for each user so they can set their own rules for how the labels or buttons or other controls should get their name in MS Access

30 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Automating Tasks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Give the VBA IDE a major overhaul finally

It's been over 20 years since the VBA IDE was created in its present form. MS has since created a number of modern and efficient development environments. Even if the VBA environment has long been referred to as outdated: it is simply the everyday reality for all serious Access developers (to a lesser extent this is also true for the other Office programs). I can not imagine that it lacks capacity to MS to bring the VBA IDE into a more contemporary form.

To insist that it would not be worthwhile to invest in an improved IDE, is roughly as…

58 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Create a new Requery method which returns to the current record

When you requery a form after updating another form or another table, Formname.Requery goes to the first record. On a continuous form it is a real nuisance to have to return to the original record. We need a Form.RequeryReturn function to bring us back to the original record. Obviously, isf the record is deleted it should return to the previous record.

76 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Access (Desktop Application)

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base