Feedback by UserVoice

Access (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Access Desktop feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.
We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. access 2016 crosstab

Crosstables should never have been removed.
    It just doesn't make sense to have to export the data to Excel and if the data changes, we need to export again.
    Please bring it back

56 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    2 comments  ·  Queries  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. When a query fails due to data type mismatch - tell us what field in the error message.

When a query fails due to data type mismatch or some other field specific error - tell us what field in the error message.

24 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Queries  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Develop the SQL User Interface

SQL is something that I find particularly useful when I am running a database. However, the SQL user interface is very poor in my opinion. It should be more something like the Visual Basic interface, where when you start typing in a formula, then it has a dropdown with all your options and when you select the function from the dropdown, it will show you how to build the formula. For me it becomes very time consuming to have to go online to figure out how the function is built. Also it would be great if it can be colour…

24 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Queries  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Add Save As... back to the Query context menu

In earlier version of Access, when you modified a query the context menu had the choices of “Save”, “Save As…” and “Close” in the context menu. Since the ribbon was introduced, the context menu only provides “Save” and “Close”, if you’ve made a change in the query and don’t want to over write the existing one, you have to go to the File | Save Object As route to get to the “Save As..” dialog box.

20 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Queries  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Upgrade Access SQL dialect to current ANSI standards

MS Access's ACE SQL engine continues to run with a variant form of ANSI-89 with some ANSI-92 features while the rest of the relational database world has adopted more recent ANSI standards and at the very least fully comply to the universal, lowest common denominator standard accepted in the industry: ANSI-1992.

Being a highly used, worldwide database for small to medium-sized shops and its popularity with the Office suite, enhancing Access's dialect to industry standards will add value to current and future users including the Microsoft brand. Even SQLite, a similar, very popular file-level database as open-source counterpart to Access,…

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Bug Report - The graphical problem on the screen in Query Design View mode.

The problem is happening when is moving horizontal line between Show Table area and Field area, when is holding this line with mouse button.
    During the moving of the line is copying the content of the Query Field area on the desktop area and in Access working area.
    This problem is happening on new PCs / CPU Intel i5-i7-i8 / Processor Graphics Intel HD-630/640 / Windows 10 (1803/1809/1903).
    For better understanding the problem I can send a picture of screen. Please, give me an e-mail address.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Enhance Union-Query architecture that total field count more over 255

Please re-design that a Union query of MS Access deal with more over 255 source fields totaly like 1024 or 65535 fields.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Increase the font size of queries shown in SQL view

When you show a query in SQL view the font size is minute. There seems to be no way of enlarging it.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Access Query Designer - fix/enhance behavior of layout window

When a query opens in MS Access designer, quite often the window (query designer form) needs to be re-sized to be larger. When I drag the bottom of the window down, PLEASE keep the results fields selected "portion" (sub-form) the same size! This will result in the top area being enlarged, which gives me more room to view the contents lists of the objects selected (most often they are tables).
    Wouldn't it be phenomenal if the table lists would also automatically extend vertically?
    I spend a lot of time resizing my query designer windows. (e.g. please automatically enlarge the top…

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Queries  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Allow Control-A to Select All in Query Design View

In previous versions of Access, I could use Control-A to select all fields in a table within the query design view, then Control-Click on the certain field(s) to de-select. It is not always preferential to use the asterisk, particularly if you are doing something other than a delete query. This used to be supported, but looks like it went away after I upgraded to Office365. Thanks.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Refresh tables/queries while in Query Design View

Add a way to refresh the columns listed in tables and queries being shown in the graphical layout of the Query Design View. A right-click, hotkey, or ribbon button would be nice.

This scenario takes place when you are designing a new query that is dependent on other tables and queries. As you are working in Design View, you realize you need to make a change to a dependent table/query such as adding or renaming a column. Without closing the current query, you go and update the dependent object and come back to the open query. Now you want to…

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Allow the use of tables in update queries without requiring them to be writeable

When executing an update query with multiple tables, all tables are currently required to be writeable.

Please allow us to use read-only tables and queries as a source of data for update queries, e.g.

UPDATE MyWritableTable rw
    INNER JOIN MyReadOnlyTable ro ON ro.ID = rw.ID
    SET rw.Field1 = ro.Field1

Since there are no write actions to MyReadOnlyTable, this query should not require it to be writable, but it does.

The current behaviour is a common source of misunderstanding (I often see questions about it on Stack Overflow), and limits the ability to update/merge in data from read-only data sources.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Allow to enter criteria at the join level

Left join categories c on c.id = p.catgoryId and p.price > 100

This can be done in most SQL DBs, including SQL Server, but is not allowed in Access

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Queries  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Seamless SQL Query engine

It is really good to have (if not at the same level) basic MS SQL query syntax with Access. I see over the years it has never been updated.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. improve ACE / eliminate or expand limitations

Too many queries fail for obscure reasons. E.g., a crosstab that has a subquery somewhere in it. I bet there are already open defect on a lot of these issues from the JET days. Work them! Limitations like the 32 table limitation occasionally get in the way as well.

(Again hating to spend votes on defects, but it is what it is.)

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Add an option to disable the 'Show Table' dialog when creating a new query

It would be useful to be able to suppress the automatic display of the modal 'Show Table' dialog every time a new query is created.

Currently I instinctively hit 'Esc' when creating a new query, knowing that this dialog will be displayed.

I prefer to add tables/queries to my query by dragging them from the navigation bar.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. 4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. non editable System Queries For Listbox etc.

Why not enableing the user to select "selected" columns / rows via Query - always looping thru itemselected is not very easy and intuitive.

Similar is with queries about Tables, queries, forms, reports, indizes fields (like in combobox) and Macros and all the other collections.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Intellisense/Builder Improvements

In Access I often use the criteria Intellisense/Builder to help me get the vba string to drill down to a deeply nested subform. But Intellisense/Builder gives up about 3 forms in. It would be nice to be able to drill down further with the help of this tool.
    I am by no means an expert at Access but over time have created several useful tools over the years, with the help of many Access experts on line. I created a very comprehensive vacation calendar used by over 200 people (tied to an sql back end) for my employer prior to…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. 3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)