Feedback by UserVoice

Access (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Access Desktop feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.
We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. We need VBA development environment for Access Web Apps.

Macros in Access Web Apps take us back to the earlier versions of Access. If Access Web Apps is equipped with a professional VBA development environment then I feel the forthcoming versions of Access Web Apps can be a tough competition for other development tools being currently used in the market. There are a million VBA developers in the market then that for any other tool as of date. Please let us have VBA in Access Web Apps, we can really change the way Access has been criticized till date. We want to create more robust web based apps using…

68 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Improve the Visual Basic Development Environment to be similar to Visual Studio

When working in Visual Studio the VBA VBE seems so primitive. See the features here
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/efc4xwkb.aspx

The features in the Visual Studio text editor make writing, navigating, and debugging code so much simple:

The Visual Studio editor provides many features that make it easier for you to write and manage your code. You can expand and collapse different blocks of code by using outlining. You can learn more about the code you are using by using IntelliSense, the Object Browser, and the Call Hierarchy. You can navigate inside your code by using features such as Navigate To, Go To Definition,…

66 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for weighing in on this.
    VBA is very important to us, and we’ll continue to add object model for new features (see http://dev.office.com/blogs/VBA-improvements-in-Office-2016), so you have programmable access to all of the capabilities of the application.
    However, changes to VBA are driven cross Office apps and not directly by Access team, so I’m declining this request so you can re-use your votes.

Feel free to follow the developer blog http://dev.office.com/blogs, where we’ll communicate changes to VBA.

3. Integration of vb.net for programming

Nativ Support for SQl Server

65 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Get Rid of 2gb file size limit because Access can be an awesome tool for Ad Hoc data analysis

I can live with the idea that transactional databases >2gb should live on SQL server. But what if I need a tool to investigate data in an 80gb csv file? Yes, I can do this on SQL server, but getting my hands on a server and permissions, etc is a weighty task. Internal data likely already exists in a SQL server (which I can connect to via ODBC), but more and more often I'm dealing with huge flat or csv files from third parties or other public sources.

Access is an awesome tool for ad hoc analysis work, I'd like…

63 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. multi core

Multi Threading for MS Access. As we all know ms Access is a single threaded application. If you all remember the fun of seeing, "this program is not responding" during a particularly heavy query or task. Multi threading would add huge value to the speed efficiency and capabilities of this application. I realize it would make visual studio WPF not as much of a stand out but lets be honest Access needs to get some real loving (not silly things like a search bar).

61 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    No Current Plan  ·  2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Undo in VBA editor

VBA editor allows to undo only the last 20 steps. That feels like programming in 1984. I don't think there is any reason not to raise this number.

60 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Give the VBA IDE a major overhaul finally

It's been over 20 years since the VBA IDE was created in its present form. MS has since created a number of modern and efficient development environments. Even if the VBA environment has long been referred to as outdated: it is simply the everyday reality for all serious Access developers (to a lesser extent this is also true for the other Office programs). I can not imagine that it lacks capacity to MS to bring the VBA IDE into a more contemporary form.

To insist that it would not be worthwhile to invest in an improved IDE, is roughly as…

58 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Collecting Data via Email

this feature was removed from office 2013 and I dont understand why as its much easier for users to fill out a form that comes as outlook email.
    Don't see any other feature we can use that are as simple and straight forward as that!

52 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    No Current Plan  ·  1 comment  ·  Automating Tasks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Give us a wizard to create ribbonbars like we used to have for the old menubar

Give us a wizard to create ribbonbars like we used to have for the menubar. Creating complex ribbonbars by storing HTML in the USysRibbons table is very time consuming to create and maintain. Especially hard to debug errors.The old menubar wizards made this task quick and easy.

52 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

At the moment there is no plan to develop a tool/wizard for creating ribbons.
    This suggestion should probably be directed to a broader UserVoice site as it relates to all Office products and not just Access.

Thanks,
    Michal [MSFT]

10. Quit trying to "dummy down" MS Access. That's like trying to make controls on a jet easier for a novice to fly it.

Access is an integrated development platform. I have clients who create Access apps "easily", thinking what they did is the best thing since sliced bread. A developer like me (23 years) has to go in and basically revamp the whole app because they did not follow proper design/development protocols. Work on making Access more stable and powerful, to be used with the rest of the MS Office suite.

50 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for posting. We have read the post and all comments.

Since this is not a new idea/suggestion per se, and we’ve noted the underlying requests, I’m updating the status to No Current Plan so you can have your votes back.

11. Collapsible vba procedures

By default each procedure should only have the first procedure line (header) visible with an expand button to show all lines within the procedure. Currently a lot of time is spend scrolling through code.

I would also like to see the two drop downs for general and declarations changed to a tree view on the left so that I can more easily navigate procedures and methods.

Thanks for your consideration!

48 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Enrich VBA, take it out of maintenance mode

So VBA was put into maintenance mode, Microsoft moved programmers to .NET. That was years ago. Office Desktop apps are still selling with VBA and yet VBA has not been enhanced - the two environments do not compete and I have not seen .NET intrinsically replace VBA and packaged as Office's internal programming language. There are so many ways that VBA can be enhanced. Linq can be added so that we are not typing mutiple quotes in unverified statements isolated in a string. String Interpolation. Managing large chunks of text in strings etc.. etc...

47 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Reports:"fit to page" sizing options, like Excel has.

I've been requesting this since Access version 1!! Why can reports not allow you to "fit to page"? It's always been ludicrous that, in Design, when placing controls, one has no idea whether they will fit within the margins or not - you have to go into Print Preview to check! An option to fit the report onto one page, and perhaps scaling options like Excel has, would make reports so much more effective and easy to create. I cannot believe that tis cannot be achieved.

47 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for posting and supporting.

Although a valuable suggestion and we can see how it can be useful to many, currently there is no plan to support this.
    However, we’d like to recommend using Layout view which will mitigate some of the problems mentioned.

Thanks,
    The Access Team

14. make Zooming and Printing improvements to the RELATIONSHIPS diagram window/view

The Relationships Diagram window has been a static feature in need of serious improvements - like adding comments to the relationships, and descriptions to the tables in the diagram (like tooltips). The control of Zooming and Panning - and printing/Previewing the diagram could use some serious overhauling. The automatic pagination - and the lack of control of what parts of the diagram are clipped to other pages - is HORRIBLE. Given a sufficiently large entity model, the existing capability falls woefully short of helping us to diagram and document our databses decently! How about giving us Multiple Relationship Diagrams (Pages)…

41 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    15 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks everyone for posting and supporting.

We understand the need but currently there is no plan to improve zooming and printing of the relationship diagram.

If you have additional related suggestions, please create new items for them.

Thanks,
    The Access Team

15. add ability to sync and store dabase in onedrive

Can you update acess so that the entire dabase can be store in onedrive. This way when I use a difrent computer I can have acess to the dabase as well as invite others to have access to it at the same time.

39 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Please do a better job of marketing Access!

Many O365 blurbs and Microsoft announcements do not mention Access Desktop or Web products, Several users even think that Access is no longer a part of MS-Office.

Access Desktop's strength is its ability to work with a wide range of data and tight integration with other Office components. One of the negative perceptions is that it's only a desktop app, but hooked up to SQL Azure, or any other remote DB, and properly optimized for web traffic, it can be truly cloud enabled, while retaining the advantage of
    a rich desktop client that can interact with other Office components.

Some…

38 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks Frank for sharing your thoughts and suggestions around this important topic.
    I’ve noted the info and shared with relevant folks on the team.
    For now, I’ll update the status to “No Current Plan” just so you can all get your votes back.

with that – if you feel that there are key ways to make Access more appealing (like enabling it to run on multiple platforms) – please create a new suggestions for them and let people vote on them.

Thanks!

17. Conditional Formatting for Buttons, Option Frames, and more Control Types

If would be nice to have Conditional Formatting for Buttons, Option Frames, and more Control Types. For instance, disable something if something else is null ~

On Rectangles, Lines, and other controls that cannot be bound, it would also be nice to allow conditional formatting based on expressions.

thank you

37 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Please restore the Pivot Tables to MS Access 2013

Many people in my off use the pivot tables that I produced in MS Access, since the change they are now just useless datasheets. I can not expect the staff in the office to export the data and convert it to pivot tables in MS Excel. Please return this feature ASAP. Thanks

36 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    9 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We realize that Pivot Tables and Charts have been a great feature and many Access users found them to be highly useful.
    As you may already know, they have been removed as the technology they relied on, was no longer supported (Office Web Components).

At this point we have no plan to bring Pivot Tables and Charts back. However we are looking into ways to improve and modernize data visualization in Access.

Stay tuned.

19. Replace VBA with VBA.net.

Replace VBA with VBA.net. You exist because of your customer. Develop solutions to your customers' needs, not your agenda. CUSTOMERS' NEEDS = VBA.NET! I don't understand why your company does not grasp this necessity. Good grief!!

36 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    No Current Plan  ·  4 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. 35 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

hanks everyone for voting and supporting this suggestion.
    As you are all aware, Pivot Charts and Pivot Tables have been removed from Access 2013 because the technology they relied on was deprecated (Office Web Components).

Since Pivot Charts as we all know them, will not come back to Access, we are updating the status accordingly and would like to encourage you to continue and use your free votes to support other suggestions.

Thanks,
    Access Team

• Don't see your idea?

Access (Desktop Application)

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base