Feedback by UserVoice

Access (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Access Desktop feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.
We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Fix the comparison of strings with Unicode Latin Extended-D characters

Could you please improve the handling of Unicode Latin Extended-D characters in MS Access queries and filters. Currently, chars in this range (introduced in Unicode 5.1 back in 2008) are incorrectly compared. Thus SELECT (ChrW(42786)=ChrW(42841)) AS Expr1; falsely returns a True value although two different chars are compared. The same is true for any two signs in this Unicode range. The problem only exists in Queries; in VBA Code these strings are compared correctly (except the StrComp function with vbDatabaseCompare option). See MSDN c76d9e5f-adbc-41f3-a2ed-dc25edf34a14

37 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. BugFix: Combo Datatype bug

Please fix the combo box RowSource datatype binding bug.

The bug is as follows:
    1. Create a table [Table1] with two columns:
    - [NumberField], datatype: Number, Double
    - [TextField], datatype: Short Text

Add 1 Row to the table:
    [NumberField] = 10
    [TextField] = "Some Text 10"

1. Create a combo box:

2. Set the RowSource of the combo box to this:
      SELECT NumberField, TextField FROM Table1;

3. Add a Button to the form: [cmbErrorExample]
      Add On Click Event:
      If Me.cmbErrorExample.RowSource = "SELECT NumberField, TextField FROM Table1;" Then
      Me.cmbErrorExample.RowSource = "SELECT TextField, NumberField FROM Table1;"
      Me.cmbErrorExample.DefaultValue = "Some Text 10"
      Me.cmbErrorExample.Value = "Some Text…

37 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Forms  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. accde should also remove the ablity to modify tables and queries

When one creates an accde database, Ms access 2007 SP3 up to 2016 should also remove the ability to modify tables and queries.

36 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Local Data  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Custom naming on message boxes

When using the vbYesNo message box you can only have 'Yes' or 'No' options. I would like to be able to rename these options. Currently the only way round it is to create a form to look like a message box.

36 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Forms  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Drag & Drop for listbox

I want to drag multiple files from explorer window onto the listbox to add the filenames to the rowsource (tried mscomctl.ocx: huge problem with other programms that register other versions of the ocx-file)

35 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Support PDF output with password encryption like Word

We should be able to generate reports as PDFs with a password. MS Word has an encryption option when saving a Word Doc to PDF.

For security reasons, more and more organizations want to have encrypted data at rest and in emails. ACCDBs support encryption, so it'd be helpful if it's PDF outputs could too.

It should be available from the user interface and as an option programmatically (DoCmd.OutputTo acFormatPDF).

34 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Provide an easy way to share Rich text between Access and other Office Applications

Access 2007 added the Rich Text control so we can store rich formatted text in Access. What it forgot to add was an easy way to share that formatted text in Excel or Word. Please add a means to share the rich text data in at least other Office apps and a easy way to strip the formmatting when exporting to formats like .csv.

33 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Increase the number of table references from 2048

With comprehensive applications, it isn't hard to get the dreaded "Can't open any more databases" error message.

When this message is encountered, bad things happen internally and the database should be restarted.

If this isn't possible, at least give us a handle so we can determine the number the system currently thinks exist.

32 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Editable Crosstab Control (Bound to underlying tables)

My idea is similar to the one called "Provide a native grid control similar to the visual studio gridview or even the old flexgrid" EXCEPT I want it to be a BOUND crosstab that is editable. This blog describes how to fake an editable crosstab, but it is a lot of work http://alisadev.blogspot.com/2009/06/how-to-fake-editable-crosstab-in.html. My best example is that for a school, they want to view the grades in a grid, but be able to edit them. Classes go down the side, Quarters go across the top, and Grades will be in the middle. When the user is hand-entering the…

31 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Datasheet  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Refresh table on right click

Whenever I modify a table or a view in SQL server I need to go refresh the table link. Currently that means
    * right click a table
    * Select Linked table manager
    * Find the table I want to refresh
    * select it
    * click refresh table links

I would really like it, if we could simple right click a linked table, and just select refresh to have that single table refreshed.

31 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Make SQL and QBE Smarter

1. When a query that selects identifiable rows joins to a query that aggregates data, allow rows in the identifiable part to be updated rather than making the query non-updateable. Extend this to heterogeneous joins so if one table in the join is updateable but another is not, allow updates to the updateable one.

2. Stop smothering expressions with excessive numbers of parentheses. There is no reason that I can think of that would require an individual column name to be enclosed all by itself in parentheses.

3. Stop reformatting MY SQL strings. I have a work-around for this but it is iffy.…
    31 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Allow linked tables to be set to Read Only

When building a system that shares its data with other systems - I've built an ERP system with Access - you often want to share certain Master data (from the HR system for example), but want to keep it that only HR can modify the data.
    If we could set linked tables to be read only, that would remove the need for a lot of 'protectionist' coding.

31 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Replace/remove Ribbons out of Access (or better out entire Office).

Replace/remove Ribbons out of Access (or better out entire Office).
    Nearly every, even the smallest little and tiny application has an better menu structure than this space taking ugly ribbon thing. Besides, now we must conclude that after 8 years of introduction there is still no decent ribbon builder included within Access it is time to get rid of it. Lets say, it was a nice try, but let's return to something better please.

31 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Allow Wrap Text (like in Excel) for the headings in Datasheet view

Often the Datasheet heading is much longer than the values in the column under the heading. Making the column narrower (to see more columns) means I can no longer read the heading.

31 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Create a table / linked table with a size greater than 255 fields

When connecting to a commercial database such as Oracle, it may be trouble if all the columns of the table are not displayed.

30 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. PDF Export with PDF-Form-Field-Functions

The Adobe PDF-Format allows to implement form-fields. This fields could be filled in by the receiver of the PDF-File.

In my opinion it would be great to generate an PDF-File with Access with form-fields. If the data from Access could be pre-filled in, this would be great.

The generated PDF could then be sent via Email to a client. The missing data could be filled in direct with Adobe Reader and then printed out.

At the moment the PDF-Export just generate an PDF-File without form-fields.

29 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. bring back replication.

I know it's hard to believe but there are a lot of us in the world (yes, even in the United States) that must occasionally work disconnected from a network. At our site we've nursed Jet 4.0 replication along for as long as we can and now it's starting to break as MS has backed away from supporting it. We are moving to a centralized SQL database with mobile hotspots but there are some places this simply will not work reliably. We will be forced to 'roll our own' replication method or bring on significant additional SQL expertise to see…

29 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Provide conditional formatting features to datasheets and continuous forms

As per Excel, it would be great to highlight and distinguish field data between the records displayed. Currently, if a format is set on a field, in a continuous form, the entire column receives that format, whether or not the data value contained, matches the criteria.

29 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Allow User to Hide Feedback Button in MS Access 2016 Backstage Using XML

My applications, a synthesis of MS Access and MS Excel using automation, are totally self-contained and use customized Ribbons, so Backstage on the Ribbon is a distraction for my users. If I could, I would hide it entirely, but that isn't possible. Until Access 2016 all Backstage elements could be hidden individually using XML, but with the introduction of the Feedback element in Access 2016, this no longer seems possible. It doesn't make much sense for a user of my applications to provide feedback directly to Microsoft, so I'm hoping the inability to hide Backstage Feedback using XML is an…

28 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. When a query fails due to data type mismatch - tell us what field in the error message.

When a query fails due to data type mismatch or some other field specific error - tell us what field in the error message.

28 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Queries  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Access (Desktop Application)

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base