Feedback by UserVoice

Access (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Access Desktop feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.
We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. prevent switching to data-definition query

Please prevent switching the Query Designer to data definition mode unless the current query is empty.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Bug in Access build 11029.20108 -Access Application crash

I have been able to replicate an error where a form containing only one object - a subform - and no form procedures at all for both the parent and child can crash without warning.

The situation is that the above mentioned form is a search result screen displaying records that match the criteria built in a different form, a search form.

The results form is opened - hidden - the recordsourcethen altered to match the search criteria and a recordset clone is then used to count the records - if the the record count is greater than 1 then…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Access file is located in SharePoint team site sync to local machine and able to do a MAIL MERGE

return error is "The database has been placed in a state by user 'Admin' on machine 'MSI' that prevents it from being opened or locked"

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Access will not utilize 100% of bandwidth when saving file

Microsoft Access does not consume 100% of the available bandwidth when you have opened a file from a network location and then are saving (save-as) back to any network location.

I have utilized this method to simulate another issue, where I find that even when working in Access (when opened from a network location) the program does not utilize 100% of the available bandwidth. When working with larger files (1GB+) this causes an issue where the software will crash and not respond, even when just navigating through tables. Running queries and saving also prompts this issue.

Why does Access not…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Update Dark Gray & Black Office Themes to make reading text & viewing objects clearer

I am seeing light grey text on white which makes text unreadable. Also white text on white lines making text difficult to read. Join line is pixelated, and theme does not appear to be consistent throughout. See https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Access/Microsoft-Office-2019-Now-Available-Comparing-2019-2016-365-New/m-p/780689 for screenshot of query design view with suggestions.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Extend exporting/importing/linking tables to/from a SQL-Server

I think it would be very nice if ODBC-Connections to a SQL-Server would preserve:
    a) The Primary Key constraint while exporting.
    b) Constraints like default values while exporting.
    c) Extended properties like 'MS_Description' while exporting.
    d) Auto value/IDENTITY while exporting.

And also b) + c) while importing or linking tables.
    While a) + d) still works (sometimes) while importing or linking, it does not work in a one to one fashion.

The Microsoft SQL Server Migration Assistant for Access (32-Bit) is, unfortunately, buggy (or completely broken after v7.3.0) and extremely slow to open even medium-sized databases.

Once upon a time,…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  External Data Connectivity  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Zooming in on the page preview of reports with a mouseclick disables keyboard navigation

Clicking on the background reenables keyboard navigation. Zooming in with the ribbon or the context menu works fine.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Allow Post it style notes to document queries when the QBE is open

The best place to add notes to a query is when the QBE is open and you can see what's going on

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Queries  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Fix new Settings Incompatibility Bug

I believe I have hit a new bug in ACCESS.
    This conflict shows up when a front end using standard Access SQL connects to a Back-end using SQL Server Syntax (ANSI92).
    It results in very strange behavior with Combo-Boxes failing to Auto-Complete and Wildcard Queries not returning results.
    Access 2010 is immune! Phew.

It is repeatable and can be reproduced by following the process:
    There appears to be a new bug in ACCESS 365 / Click to Run.
    It DOES NOT EXHIBIT on Access 2010, but I have not tested with 2013.

Issue: Combo Boxes (drop-downs) fail to Auto-Complete List…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  External Data Connectivity  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Bugfix: Access 2016 Form.KeyDown [ALT+N] Shift key is always zero

Bugfix: Access 2016 Form.KeyDown [ALT+N] Shift key is always Zero when the N Key is passed. You Can't test for [ALT+N].

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Forms  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. New Features

New abilities:
    -Alter the shape of a forms border (i.e. Circular - spiky - shadows)
    -Add transparency as a feature for forms, controls
    -add gradients for backgrounds on forms /reports
    -add window pinning for forms and reports to pin the object at a certain location on screen and apply a width / height percentage for the object (technically possible already but a cleaner option should be provided)
    -a built in custom ribbon editor
    -Allow your new external data - link table manager - to connect to tables of the same name without prompt! very frustration as it is. even just…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. AccessReport

Please add Pivot Table and Report Header Freez Option in access db reports

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Student Database

The Student Database template uses a tabbed form to access alternative data on a specific student. I would like to be able to add 2 more tabs, but when I set them up, they don't point to the specific student in the overarching form. Can you include a table in the template that gives some explanation on how the writer did this with the other tabs?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Forms  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. No Ideas when I downloaded this template for another school project in this chapter it poped up an error mess with a macro misspelling.

When I downloaded this template for another school project in this chapter it poped up a warning saying something in a macro was misspelled. I erased the macro section

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. SSMS - Convert Access unique Index with (allowing) Null as "Filtered Index"

If converting tables, the ssma often fails because it does not create filtered indices for indices in access which allow null.. If not PK and SQL-Server 2008 or newer the filtered indices are really easy to create like

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/767657/how-do-i-create-a-unique-constraint-that-also-allows-nulls/767702#767702

they easily could found automatically and converted ...

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. will be nice if you can,

will be nice if you can report,by taking pics or snap shot,and the app do the mat for you would only do the basic by add home address, date of birth.merryth or cingle.for people like me tha never do taxes, is complicated and tha would stop so many people from be slave of the tax account

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. A way to disseminate an Access program on non Access computers.

I work with one other group in another office. They could very much use the Access forms I have created on my computer but they don't have access installed. The people on the other computer do not have the ability or desire to create their own programs so buying Access would be a waste for them. There used to be a way to do this.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Local Data  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. MS Access 2016 (16.0.8625.2127) - Linked Tables - SQL server login popup

Hello,

We have a program (front-end: MS Access / back-end: MSSQL).
    The problem that we are facing is that with MS Access 2016 (16.0.4266.1003) everything works fine, except the known issues (example: MS Access 2016 - invisible picture images).
    When you update to MS Access 2016 (16.0.8625.2127) and have a form with a (combo box / list box) SQL server login pop's up
    With the previous versions of MS Access 2000 - 2016 (16.0.4266.1003) we didn't have any problems.

P.S. We noticed that before updating MS Access 2016, the version is 4266.1003.
    After the update the version changes to 8625.2132…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. External Data Import Text File: add Regex field definitions

when importing data from a text file allow a field to be defined by a regular expression.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base