Feedback by UserVoice

Access (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Access Desktop feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.
We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Allow User to Hide Feedback Button in MS Access 2016 Backstage Using XML

My applications, a synthesis of MS Access and MS Excel using automation, are totally self-contained and use customized Ribbons, so Backstage on the Ribbon is a distraction for my users. If I could, I would hide it entirely, but that isn't possible. Until Access 2016 all Backstage elements could be hidden individually using XML, but with the introduction of the Feedback element in Access 2016, this no longer seems possible. It doesn't make much sense for a user of my applications to provide feedback directly to Microsoft, so I'm hoping the inability to hide Backstage Feedback using XML is an…

25 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. VB Code References Dialog Box should be sizable

If we open any VBA module (either a module or the one in code-behind-forms), one of the choices we have is pointing the Jet or Ace engine to the correct Reference Library. This dialog box is very small and should be bigger by default. Ideally it should be sizable and Access should remember the size where we left it. That would be NICE!

24 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Enable Access (and all VBA apps) to work with the new Microsoft Graph

"Microsoft Graph is the gateway to data and intelligence in Microsoft 365. Microsoft Graph provides a unified programmability model that you can use to take advantage of the tremendous amount of data in Office 365, Enterprise Mobility + Security, and Windows 10.
    You can use the Microsoft Graph API to build apps for organizations and consumers that interact with the data of millions of users. With Microsoft Graph, you can connect to a wealth of resources, relationships, and intelligence, all through a single endpoint: https://graph.microsoft.com."

It seems that just about every language except VBA can be used to run…

24 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Cloud  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

A new data connector that allows users to link to and import from Graph API is on our roadmap and will be released to O365 customers in the next few months.

Stay tuned!

4. Macroes vs VBA in Button Wizard

When using the Button wizard MS Access creates macroes as default. This should be an option if you prefeer macroes or vb as the event code.

24 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    10 comments  ·  Forms  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. 64 bit version of mscomctl.ocx.

I support an application with over 90K registered users for a international logistics company (the guys with the brown trucks). We can not support the 64 bit version of Office Access because there is no 64 bit version of this library. Converting the Tree Views to use .Net would be cost prohibitive.

24 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Fix rendering of VBA UserForms with Parent controls (eg. Frames) in Access 2003+ file formats

The Access 2000 mdb format supports VBA UserForms with normal and parent controls, but all database formats beyond Access 2003 (ACCDB) only render UserForms that do not include Parent controls.

Being able to reuse UserForms across VBA hosts is a very useful way of reusing code and User Interfaces, but a runtime error (Error 75) occurs when trying to render a UserForm in an ACCDB database format, when there is a Parent control (such as a Frame or MultiPage control) present.

Parent controls enable rich functionality and more intuitive UI, but Access fails to render the forms, with an error…

24 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Forms  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. import from excel

Better control of datatypes when importing from Excel or linking to a worksheet.

Currently the import decides for you using the first few rows, so often you have truncated memo fields when the first few rows are less than 255 char or errors when the first few rows are numeric but later rows are alpha numeric.

When importing into an existing table the import should honor the datatypes in the table.

23 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Ability to view the Field list in the VBA Code Module

When you are in the VBA Code Editor, and you want to refer to a field on the form, you have to flip back to the form to find the field name before you can use it.

It would life so much easier if the field names were listable in the code module in the View option as per the Object Command on the Form's Design View.

23 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Automating Tasks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Create PDF-File with merge function

Create more than one PDF-File from the Report and merge the PDF-File to one PDF-File

23 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. with accde: create forms and controls at runtime. even reports.

how wonderful it would be to have programmatic access to create forms and Controls at runtime (compiled version)
    Even The ability to create and change reports.

22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Runtime  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Bring back the shortcut menu interface for creating shortcut menus

Shortcut menus are very usefull and after access 2003 the interface for creating them has removed.You have to bring it back.

22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Create a stand alone file independently version of Access or Runtime and 32 or 64 bit architecture

Due to the currently conflicts between versions, I think it would be necessary to create a stand alone file that can be run independently of the version of Access or Runtime and 32 or 64 bit architecture, that the user has installed!!

22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. 21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Please stop Access 2013 from automatically changing the Modified Date on Access files if no changes are made to a file

I have Office Professional 2013.

I have it installed on an Asus Laptop running Windows 8.1.

Also OP 2010 on Windows 7.

I open 99% of my files through "File Explorer" as I have several thousand (files) sorted into numerous sub-folders.

Whenever I open an Access file to check some details and then close it WITHOUT MAKING CHANGES "File Explorer" shows that Access has automatically changed the "Date Modified" to the most recent date and time that I open and then close the file.

This is despite the fact that the last time I may have made a change whether…

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. When a query fails due to data type mismatch - tell us what field in the error message.

When a query fails due to data type mismatch or some other field specific error - tell us what field in the error message.

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Queries  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Drag Tabs to Rearrange

When in tabbed View, it would be nice to be able to drag tabs to rearrange them

thank you

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Planned  ·  6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Develop the SQL User Interface

SQL is something that I find particularly useful when I am running a database. However, the SQL user interface is very poor in my opinion. It should be more something like the Visual Basic interface, where when you start typing in a formula, then it has a dropdown with all your options and when you select the function from the dropdown, it will show you how to build the formula. For me it becomes very time consuming to have to go online to figure out how the function is built. Also it would be great if it can be colour…

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Queries  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Seamless Integration of MS Access with Cloud and Mobile phones

I would like to make an access project (database and its associated forms and reports), upload it to a microsoft cloud, and to be able to access it via web and mobile phones. Is it currently possible?

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Add capability to call stored procedures with DAO

Please add the capability to call stored procedures in a remote ODBC database with DAO, like it existed in the past with ODBC-Direct-Workspaces.
    Pass-Through-Queries are only a kludge because parameters have to be concatenated into the sql string.

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Add Save As... back to the Query context menu

In earlier version of Access, when you modified a query the context menu had the choices of “Save”, “Save As…” and “Close” in the context menu. Since the ribbon was introduced, the context menu only provides “Save” and “Close”, if you’ve made a change in the query and don’t want to over write the existing one, you have to go to the File | Save Object As route to get to the “Save As..” dialog box.

20 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Queries  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Access (Desktop Application)

Feedback and Knowledge Base