Feedback by UserVoice

Access (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Access Desktop feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.
We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Can we have the option when you run a runtime for the first time to remove the security warning

If the Access Front End is not stored in My Documents, the only way to remove the warning is to poke around in the Registry and put in the path where the Front End is stored. This is dangerous and not user-friendly. Ask the user if he/she accepts the risk and then allow use without the warning.

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Runtime  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. If you are not going to be fully committed to developing and improving Access- Make it Open Source

A least bring in the top developers to have a serious discussion the Many issues with Access.

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. PNG transparency bug in MS Access 2003,2007,2010,2013 and if not also in the 2016 version?

Take this message to explain the error in the transparency of PNG.
    This bug is crawling from the first version of MsAccess PNG transparencies disappear when sent to the printer, if anyone solved this problem please tell him that I do or how to solve it, probe with Msacccess 2013 and continues the bug ... today is 01/16/2016 ....
    Leo Poster and websites, observed in the examples that come out and check on my little exercises, which is possible in the new Access 2010 version include pictures in various supported formats (.jpg .png .gif etc, etc) in forms and reports,…

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for reporting.
    We will add this bug report to our backlog and see that it is prioritized and handled.
    In the meantime, I’m updating the status for ‘No Current Plan’ so that you use your votes again.

Thanks,
    Michal [MSFT]

4. network

gracefully handle Network interruptions with a Access backend

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. I love PowerQuery for Excel for any ETL-jobs. Same tool for ACCESS?

For many ETL-Jobs in EXCEL I use PowerQuery. Many jobs, formely done with VBA, can now be solved codeless.

I would like to use the same techniques in ACCESS, e.g. collect many txt-files from one folder, unpivotize etc...

Greetings to the community!

Peter Rühm

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

PowerQuery is a great Excel feature which allows users to discover, combine and refine data across a wide variety of sources.
    Access allows users to connect to a wide array of external data sources in a way that is unique to Access users and scenarios.
    When we think of data management solutions across Office, we think of Excel and Access as somewhat complementary products, but not competing.
    With that, duplicating capabilities from one product to another is not supportive of this perspective.
    We are looking at further enhancing and improving Access’s abilities to connect to external data sources, but not in the form of integrating PowerQuery.

6. STOP Teaching Students BAD Practices

OK I get it... you supposedly don't need to be a developer to use Access and that's great. But really you should stop training everyone who doesn't know any better that it's ok to do things like place spaces and weird character in object names. It will eventually bite you even within Access as soon as you move to VBA or a SQL Server backend.

Just because it can be done doesn't mean it should. It's just all around bad practice and eventually everyone who continues on to use Access will learn the hard lesson that is not taught in…

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    No Current Plan  ·  5 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Please provide us a utility to create Mobile Apps using MS-Access (Specially for Mobile development)

Hello Team,
    A mobile app developed using MS-Access itself can help in creating Apps which can be used by a Sales Team which is performing marketing activities in remote locations.
    The mobile app can help the Sales person record the customers enquiry (Very minimum fields) and on a push of a button have it flushed to the Corporate CRM database.
    I'm asking for a Small Mobile App development tool which can help MS-Access run on any mobile (I'm speaking of a very very light version).
    This will not only make MS-Access a versatile product but millions of mobile app developers…

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  External Data Connectivity  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. MS Access on MAC

At this moment I'm a subscriber of Office 365, but always I worked with Ms Access. Now, I have a Mac book Pro and is not possible install it. I also work with other tools, like Excel, but I would like to see the MS Access to be compatible with IOS system, because it's a wonderful tool, and I can't have both systems (Windows and Mac).

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Queries  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Add UWP/Fluent Controls

The currently available controls look ancient (Think Windows 3.1). Why not add new controls that allow developers to match the look and feel of Windows 10?

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    No Current Plan  ·  0 comments  ·  Forms  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. allow VBA to compact an open Database

With VBA it is only possible to compact a database when it is not opend. It would be helpful to let VBA copmact the currently opended database like you can do with the UI.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. BUG - Unreliable ControlTip Text

Sometimes, when hovering the mouse over form controls, the ControlTip Text for the controls does not appear.

Had this problem for months. It occurs on some PCs but not others, which have had identical Windows / Office builds.
    Have not been able to figure out why it occurs in some environments, but not others.
    I've been able to recreate the issue reliably for days on end, then suddenly it starts working again...for a while.

A PC which has shown the issue:
    OS Build Windows 10 Pro
    Version 1809
    OS Build 17763.1098
    Access 2016 (16.0.4924.1000) MSO (16.0.4939.1000) 32-bit

To recreate:
    -…

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Forms  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feedback. Unfortunately after following your steps, the Microsoft team was not able to reproduce this scenario. This has also been a long-standing scenario that our users have been able to work around for a while without problems. Unless there is more information you’d like to provide, there is no current plan to address this at this time. That said, we will keep this item open, and will continue tracking for more feedback.

12. 8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. ... to deliver an option to convert old access versions to the newer ones

if having old access versions it would be good to have a converter "on board"

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    No Current Plan  ·  5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. 7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. ACCDB lenght

32 GB database file

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. 6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. VBA/Geolocation/Camera on Windows Mobile Devices

So, if you're bringing win32 programs to ARM devices (tablets, phones etc) and you're already producing mobile form factor windows that can run Access natively, I'd like to be able to work with the device's Geolocation data, and also Photos, in my Access 'desktop' databases. And I'd like to use VBA to do so. :)

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Consider downgrading VBA references to ALL Office product libraries

re: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/vsod/2017/01/23/office-vba-reference-downgrade-problem/

This includes a comment "This is by design. VBA references are upgraded but are not downgraded." which I have also heard from other Microsoft support staff

I differ in opinion about “by design”.

I feel that since these are references to libraries supplied by Office, and since the newer office application VBA environment “knows” enough to locate and upgrade ALL the office library references, and since the older office application VBA environment “knows” enough to locate and downgrade the library for ONE office library reference, it seems like it is somewhat negligent that the older office application VBA…

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Buy Fishers "Find and Replace" and incorporate it into Access

License or buy Rick Fisher's Find and Replace and incorporate it into Access. Works extremeley well. Nice extra features like linked table manager.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your suggestion.
    However, it is very broad and hard to understand what are the problems you are trying to solve.
    There are a few other suggestions related to Find and Replace – please vote on them or create specific suggestions for the existing functionality.

Thanks,
    Michal [MSFT]

20. VBA editor: Ctrl D for duplicate current line of code

It is very common to Copy&Paste a line of VBA code, e.g. when working with recordsets. It would be very very helpful to a hot key repeating lines of code.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Access (Desktop Application)

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base