Feedback by UserVoice

Access (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Access Desktop feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.
We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. bug - New 2018 Black and grey themes

Changing to the new black theme and then closing out of access completely - re open access and change theme to colorful and the navigation search bar remains black, changing to grey and back to colorful also does not change the search bar back to white.

The black theme is a nice idea and aligns itself with windows themes and visual studio however the implementation leaves a lot to be desired. Disabled ribbon button labels are too dark and don't have enough contrast to be visible. Open a query editor window and try to read the labels in the bottom…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for providing feedback on the recent added support of Dark and Black themes in Access.
    Ribbon colors have consistent behavior across Office apps and we do not have a plan to change that.
    Switching between themes without restarting Access may result in somewhat funky behavior and is unfortunate. However, we believe that ’s not a very frequent operation.

Regards,
    Access Engineering.

2. In some Access export commands path length is limited. Could you remove those limitations?

In some Access export commands path length is limited. Could you remove those limitations?

' works:

DoCmd.TransferSpreadsheet acExport, acSpreadsheetTypeExcel12Xml, "Mitarbeiter", "C:\Users\Gerrit.Viehmann\Desktop\Very looooooooooooooooooooooooooooong directory\Very loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong filename.xlsx"
    ' Error 2006:
    DoCmd.TransferText TransferType:=acExportMerge, TableName:="Mitarbeiter", FileName:="C:\Users\Gerrit.Viehmann\Desktop\Very looooooooooooooooooooooooooooong directory\Very loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong filename.txt"
    ' works. Add one ‘o’ and it doesn’t:
    DoCmd.TransferText TransferType:=acExportMerge, TableName:="Mitarbeiter", FileName:="C:\Users\Gerrit.Viehmann\Desktop\Very looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong filename.txt"

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Automating Tasks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for posting.
    The limitation in this case is on the filename itself, not the path. For file types, the database engine treats the file name as the table name in an external data source, so it enforces the limit on table name length, which is 64 characters.
    At this point we have no plan of changing such a fundamental behavior in Access.

3. Is Anyone Home?

As a VBA developer who knows the language inside and out, I provided a ton of feedback about 5 years ago on a consensus of what was requested by developers at large. Microsoft does NOT listen. No need to reinvent the wheel here.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Restore Pivot Tables to Access!

I work at a major US airline. I have been charged with creating major database work using MS Access. Pivot tables are vital to the amount of varied data with which we work. Pivot tables are vital...please restore.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    15 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Implement a way to disable office clipboard

Hi,
    While working with Access, I constantly do ctrl+c,ctrl+v to copy/paste from/to office and other applications. When the Office clipboard is full, the keys stop working until you manually "Clear all" the Office Clipboard. It gets full very very often. Please allow a way to completely disable office clipboard for office and / or individual applications inside office, or a feature to implement a 'rolling' clipboard stack pile where older elements are automatically erased, so clipboard never got full. Please. A lot of people complains about this on lots of websites as I saw.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    No Current Plan  ·  2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. What would be very cool would be if you could talk code ... say i want a form to do xyz and it pull details together... I'm not a programme

i'm not a programmer and find it difficult and dont have time.. but have a lot of ideas which i want to get to work fast and when i speak with programmers they don't understand what i want etc so take a lot of hard work and time to make progress..

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We appreciate your suggestion, however feel it is not the right place for it.
    Access is a great tool for both developers and end-user with minimal programming/tech skills.
    Ramp up before you are able to create something meaningful is relatively short. Give it a try!

Michal [MSFT]

8. Integration with Cortana for navigation purposes

Add navigation commands such as “Open”, “First Record”, “Next Record”, “Previous Record” and “Last Record”.
    The “Open” command would be followed by the Form or Report…”Open Sales Order”…”Open Purchase Order”.
    If possible a “Find” command would really rock. “Open Contact Maintenance”, “Find Jane Smith”.

These commands would be very useful in a mobile environment.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Fix Bug with Min and DMin aggregate functions in presence of zero-length strings

If there are zero-length strings in a text field of a table, then Min and DMin may return wrong results. I have described this in detail here:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/dc948ff4-c5cc-4159-9f97-f04b72ac30c6/access-false-results-with-min-and-dmin-aggregate-functions-on-text-fields-in-the-presence-of-zero?forum=accessdev

Microsoft Support has confirmed that this is a bug.It is still present in Access 2016.

Matthias Kläy

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for reporting.
    We will add this bug report to our backlog and see that it is prioritized and handled.
    In the meantime, I’m updating the status for ‘No Current Plan’ so that you use your votes again.

Thanks,
    Michal [MSFT]

10. Split windows vertically in VBA

Now I can only split the window horizontally in VBA. It would be nice to split the window vertically.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Improve Access Accessibility

Improve accessibility for Microsoft Access when using Jaws and or NVDA screen reading software. I here that better support has been made for narrator, but until narrator becomes more usable for every day tasks, most people will use jaws or NVDA.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you Timothy for posting.
    Microsoft’s mission is to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more.
    With that, we are committed to always improve our products to help people of all abilities access information and have fulfilling interactions with our products.
    In that sense, Access is no different.
    There are multiple accessibility improvements we’ve introduced in the last year (read more https://support.office.com/en-us/article/What-s-new-in-Access-2016-76454345-f85d-47af-ace1-98a456cb3496) and we will continue to strive to improve it further.

I’m updating the status to no current plan so you can get your votes back and re-use them.
    Feel free to suggest specific accessibility requests/features.

Thanks,
    Michal [MSFT]

12. I am a former DBASE programmer. I find that language to be very powerful and yet the language in ACCESS does not support it.

I could create a PRG file that would perform much as an application ...
    I am gradually learning the intracicies of ACCESS objects and how to build embedded queries inside of queries. I am also able to build some pretty exotic filters at this point. The Do While Loops coupled with nested If statements in DBASE enabled me to perform some pretty complex real world processing, that I find more n more complicated to replicate using ACCESS. It would be the BEST OF THE BEST if there was a bit of the same syntax as the Ashton Martin - DBASE.…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Discontinue this garbage

Discontinue this garbage. What were you thinking ? Can't even execute a really simple SQL statement. That's after clicking on 17 buttons to get to the Query Text Editor. Did you design Access to be bad and cumbersome on purpose ? My blood is boiling ! You have no Idea ! I so regret buying this rubbish. Never again !

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    No Current Plan  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    No Current Plan  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. You need to get MS Access on the web or it's a dead product......

You need to get MS Access on the web or it's a dead product...... MS Access used to be great to make apps on the Local Area Network(LAN) using VBA and (I used) SQL Server. But now people need to get to that same data from the web... from anywhere.... If Access can't be moved to the web(including it's interface, not just database) it's a dead/dying product. I currently use ASP.NET with C# and SQL Server to re-create all that I've done with MS Access but I hate to see MS Access die. There is a drive right now to…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    No Current Plan  ·  0 comments  ·  Cloud  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Create a template for a username & password book

Create a template to record usernames, passwords etc. I use an address book, but it would be nice to have a pre-completed template on here

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Have the option to copy sales orders

We have the option to copy purchase orders but not sales orders, this would be a big advantage when our customer request repeat orders.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    No Current Plan  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Allow MS Office to be installed in different country though it is purchased in another country

I bought Dell laptop and MS Office 2013 license in 2014 when I was living in Australia. I shifted to India 2 years back and unfortunately, I had to format my Dell laptop and I hence I have to reinstall my Office 2013. But while installing it I am getting error ""This product couldn't be activated because the product key can only be activated in certain geographic regions". When I contacted support center, they informed me that there is Geo Block on one time purchase product keys and I have to pay additional charges if I have to get new…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Queries  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Let Access automatically detect the Outlook Version installed on a User's PC and have that Outlook Versions Library automatically installed.

If Access can automatically identify the current version of Outlook installed on the users PC and automatically have that Outlook Versions Library installed will save a lot of time and confusion for the Developer. The Developer will not have to physically intervein with the Library settings and he can distribute the Access application to a mixed environment that has mixed versions of Outlook.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    No Current Plan  ·  2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Access (Desktop Application)

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base