Feedback by UserVoice

Access (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Access Desktop feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.
We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Can we have an AutoExit capability?

If I (as a developer) want certain events to happen when the database is closed, I have to go through setting up code in a hidden form that executes when Access shuts down. This works but is sneaky and clumsy - especially when one is asked to maintain someone else's work and that person is no longer with the client. A simple cure is to allow an automated AutoExit macro that runs on close, exactly like Autoexec runs on open. And, like Autoexec, the proposed AutoExit will not run if we hold down the Shift key when closing the database.

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    2 comments  ·  Automating Tasks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Spellchecker in Runtime Version

The point of Runtime is to allow developers to develop complete database solutions for users.
    When we have added Spellcheck features that work well in the Standard Version, it is frustrating and defeats the purpose of Runtime when it doesn't work for the user where it is really needed.

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Provide ability to Save/Load query definition to/from .SQL text file

...just like is SSMS.
    Such simple operation should also be available from VBA, in order to ease GIT or other source management import export.

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Get ALL date formats from regional setting

Working with VBA and dates outside the US is a nightmare, and we never know when we are going to get the right date or not. Most of Access handles dates OK, but VBA is inconsistent.
    Typically much of the rest of the world gets the worst of it.
    If we put in
    01/07/2016, it becomes January 7th not 1st of July
    12/07/2016 is treated as December 7th not 12thJuly
    15/07/2016 is treated as 15th July,

This is NOT helpful.
    Can we have the ability to get VBA to use the regional settings for date formats.
    Or at least throw…

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Include original table in as well as alias in designer view of a query

At the top of each table in a query it be very useful to see the original table name and perhaps in brackets the alias name. Otherwise, it can hard to remember the original name especially when dealing with a lot of similar table names.

Thanks for your consideration!

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Liks to Sage Accounts and Quickbooks

As the new version of Access will allow linking to other databases could the team include Sage Accounting System and Quickbooks. There are many potential add-ons that could and need to be developed to improve both of these accounting packages and interfacing to Access is painful and expensive. This would ensure Access remains the 'go-to' application for all small database analysis.

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Add auto-complete to fields based on existing data

WHen entering a new record (or editing an existing record), why not allow the user to turn on an auto-complete, which would compare the characters typed with existing data entered for that field in other records?

It would be useful and reduce mistakes in databases which use a limited number of values for specific fields (eg address databases)

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Change Link Path Without DB

It would be great to be able to Change the Path of existing Linked Tables to another path even if we don't have that path. This would greatly simplify deploying to client networks. We could deliver the database all ready and configured.

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Access Report Collapsable Group

In Access Reports, you should be able to collapse a group.
    For example I have group on Computers. HP computers has a total of 1000 and Surface Pro has 500. I want to collapse the HP group.

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Create auto "date/time last updated" and "Last updated by" fields

There should be the following additional Access field types that users can add to tables:

Date/Time Last Updated - automatically inserts the current date/time when a row is updated
    Last Updated By -- automatically inserts the user who made the last update to this row.

Extra credit: Auto create a table which shows a history of all row changes.

I know you can do some of this with macros, but it really should be a standard feature when working with databases. This will also help differentiate Access from Excel for basic database uses.

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Add a share functionality built in to access and shared and live editing support

For this, access would need onedrive office online support, but mainly the ability to edit the onedrive file with your local access software without having to download a copy of the file itself to edit it.

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Add a ListView control as an alternative to the ListBox.

Add a ListView control like the one in Dynamics AX. The control should NOT HAVE master/child field linking. Only needs an after-update event that triggers when the user clicks on a row, just like a ListBox.

Access ListBox is frequently used for form navigation. It’s easy to implement but has several serious drawbacks.

Its worst drawback is the form blinking that occurs when the AfterUpdate event is triggered. This makes your form functionality unprofessional.

Other drawbacks: It’s static, user can’t adjust column width or row height. Can’t be filtered or copied from.

The current work around is to use a…

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Forms  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Gui ribbon editor

Allow access developers to create or edit a ribbon with a gui rather than having to write xml.

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Forms  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Allow setting background color for Access desktop, and to change colors for form and report borders

I would like to use the grey background color of Access 2003 and also its blue border color for forms and reports. But now the background color of Access 2016 is white and the border color for forms and reports is white. In Access 2010 you were able to reproduce the 2003 look by setting some options, but that has been removed in Access 2016. Please advise if this capability exists, or please add it.

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Access Add-ins are removed after every Office update (bug)

Every time I get an Office update, my Access Add-ins are uninstalled. This has been going on for at least a year. It doesn't affect all add-ins, about 1/4 of them stay (I have 26 installed). These may be ones that were installed with an .exe installer.

I think this is a bug but I don't think it will get a lot of attention because Access Add-ins aren't that popular. If you use add-ins and have seen this happen please vote.

My work around for this has been to use RegEdit to save my add-in registry settings to a .reg…

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Gridlines to Modern Access Charts

The 'modern' charts in MS Access no longer allows for gridlines to be set. The gridlines can be a great visual aid in charts to quickly access where the value plotted lies in relation to the axis. It was present in the 'old' charts but is no longer available in the 'modern' charts. I would also recommend adding scatter plots to the modern charts. Just FYI, your free/opensource counterparts have them already implemented within their packages.

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Forms  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Use F5 to run a query

When switching between SQL Management Studio and an Access front end I find myself pressing F5 to run the Access query as I've been working in the other window - would be good if F5 ran the query in Access as it does in SQLMS

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Queries  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. 11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Make it possible to properly hide the Navigation Pane

Currently this can be made visible programmatically from an external program via Automation.

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Enable Ctrl-Spacebar to Popup Intellisense in Queries

When designing queries, it would be nice if Ctrl-Spacebar could be used (as in VBA) to pop up intellisense when typing expressions, criteria, AppendTo, ...

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Access (Desktop Application)

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base