Feedback by UserVoice

Access (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Access Desktop feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.
We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add Pivot Charts back to Access.

The original Pivot tables and Pivot Charts in Access 2007 were very easy to use and a great benefit to builders and users. I am still using 2007 for that very reason, since I have many applications that rely on the pivot functionality and I am a great believer in graphical representation using Pivot Charts.

696 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    117 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks everyone for voting and supporting this suggestion.
    As you are all aware, Pivot Charts and Pivot Tables have been removed from Access 2013 because the technology they relied on was deprecated (Office Web Components).

Voting and commenting on this suggestion (and on this https://access.uservoice.com/forums/319956-access-desktop-application/suggestions/11510094-put-pivot-tables-back-into-access-surely-a-databa) has been very valuable to us to distill the requirements and needs.

Since Pivot Charts as we all know them, will not come back to Access, we are updating the status accordingly and would like to encourage you to continue and use your free votes to support other suggestions.

Thanks,
    Michal [MSFT]

2. Add PowerQuery to ACCESS

PowerQuery is the best improvement for collecting data for Excel since many years. I would love to use it in Access too, without using Excel.
    I would like to extract data from SAP, WEB, CSV-Files, collect all files from a folder, de-pivot files... Any ETL job PowerQuery supplies für Excel, but directly in Access!
    (I posted this two years ago using other words)

630 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    52 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

PowerQuery is a great Excel feature which allows users to discover, combine and refine data across a wide variety of sources.
    Access allows users to connect to a wide array of external data sources in a way that is unique to Access users and scenarios.
    When we think of data management solutions across Office, we think of Excel and Access as somewhat complementary products, but not competing.
    With that, duplicating capabilities from one product to another is not supportive of this perspective.
    We are looking at further enhancing and improving Access’s abilities to connect to external data sources, but not in the form of integrating PowerQuery.

3. Put Pivot Tables back into Access. Surely a database should be able to analyse data, including text fields. This cannot be done in Excel.

Put Pivot Tables back into Access. Surely a database should be able to analyse data, including text fields. This cannot be done in Excel which can only handle numeric data. Our business uses them extensively and currently we cannot find an alternative.

324 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    30 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Provide a native grid control similar to the visual studio gridview or even the old flexgrid.

A grid control provides the means to show tabular data. Some features include
    - Sorting by column
    - Moving columns by dragging
    - Selecting individual cells
    - Formatting individual row, columns, or cells
    - Control columns such as checkboxes for selecting a row
    - Edit cell of data
    - Spreadsheet type movement

The capabilities provided by the Visual Studio gridview is a great example. The features that this provides are far beyond what is capable in Access especially when dealing with unbound data. A common example that I see on the message boards is a user want to build a…

303 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    No Current Plan  ·  11 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Provide a better SQL editor

Please provide a better SQL editor with syntax highlighting, indention, IntelliSense and using SQL comments in Access 2017.

231 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    23 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. 166 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    34 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We realize that Pivot Tables and Charts have been a great feature and many Access users found them to be highly useful.
    As you may already know, they have been removed as the technology they relied on, was no longer supported (Office Web Components).

At this point we have no plan to bring Pivot Tables and Charts back. However we are looking into ways to improve and modernize data visualization in Access.

Stay tuned.

7. Ribbon Creation Tool

You pushed upon the Office community the Ribbon back in 2007, when are you going to finally give us a GUI tool to develop ribbons properly? Right now, the ribbon is a half-baked concept with no tool to develop with.

165 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    28 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

At the moment there is no plan to develop a tool for creating ribbons.
    This suggestion should probably be directed to a broader UserVoice site as it relates to all Office products and not just Access.

Thanks,
    Michal [MSFT]

8. Reactivate "Require Variable Declaration" and "Option Explicit"

The option "Require Variable Declaration" in the VBA Editor's Options dialog is deactivated by default. So "Option Explicit" is not added automatically to new modules. If unexperienced programmers forget to declare variables this can result in unexpected errors.

It seems that you could easily change the default value of this option to "activated" (it is one key in the windows registry).

I don't even understand why the default value of this option was changed.

134 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Please bring back Dynamic Charts and Pivot Tables

Hello, some of the features that have been dropped on Access from the 2013 version is a frustrating fact.
    Specifically, I'm talking about the PivotTables and PivotCharts.
    I developped for my company two applications that manage the commercial activity and another for the management of operational risks.
    This feature (PivotTables and PivotCharts) had been very useful for reporting in the 2007 and 2010 versions.
    Now this feature is no longer supported and our IT Department has migrated the Office to the 2016 version, I am really stuck.
    Please take into consideration this request and consider the possibility of its reactivation.

96 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We realize that Pivot Tables and Charts have been a great feature and many Access users found them to be highly useful.
    As you may already know, they have been removed as the technology they relied on, was no longer supported (Office Web Components).

At this point we have no plan to bring Pivot Tables and Charts back. However we are looking into ways to improve and modernize data visualization in Access.

Stay tuned.

10. Put the ADP file option back into Access 2013 and beyond...

ADP's provide a simple connection to SQL server. In addition, Forms and reports have properties that simplify retrieving data.

95 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    No Current Plan  ·  17 comments  ·  External Data Connectivity  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Increase the maximum file size from 2GB upwards

I know that this idea has been floated twice before and I also note that the Access team have responded and indicated that this is not part of the development and I also note that its been closed so more votes cannot be taken on it. Thought it was important to re-open because its actually quite a popular idea. I understand that SQL Server / SQL Azure or SQL Express are the way to go if users are wanting larger backends but for quick and dirty working for ETL projects or random data analysis of large datasets individuals may not…

83 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  Local Data  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Enable multiple versions of Access to co-exist on the same machine.

Enable multiple versions of Access to co-exist, side by side, on the same machine without ill effects.
    Just like there can be multiple versions of Visual Studio, SQL Server, etc. Currently, to work in different versions of Access we need to maintain a separate machine (physical or virtual) for each version of Access.

82 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    12 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Alphonse,
    It is not clear what is the problem you are encountering. Going through the comments other Access users left here, didn’t help figure it out as well.
    To the best of my knowledge there shouldn’t be an issue with running multiple versions of Access on the same machine, so I’m closing this request.
    If you feel strongly about it and can provide more information, please create a new request.

Thanks,
    Michal [MSFT]

13. Offline Help

Put offline help back into Access 2016. From what I have read online, no one is able to find it and there are many who need it. I don't have Internet access at home and I want to be able to work from home.

76 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your suggestion.
    The Help system is actually a shared piece of engineering owned by a different team and surfaced within all of the Office applications. As such, this isn’t really an action item that the Access development team can take in isolation of the existing Office system.
    We have passed on this feedback though to the correct team for their consideration. They did ask us to forward on the following information to you:
    You can download an Access 2016 VBA CHM file on GitHub for offline use. You can find it here:
    https://github.com/OfficeDev/VBA-content/blob/master/README.md

Thanks,
    Michal [MSFT]

14. Create a new Requery method which returns to the current record

When you requery a form after updating another form or another table, Formname.Requery goes to the first record. On a continuous form it is a real nuisance to have to return to the original record. We need a Form.RequeryReturn function to bring us back to the original record. Obviously, isf the record is deleted it should return to the previous record.

76 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Access for Apple PC's

Can we have a version of Access that will work on Macs. As a developer, it is a real turn-off when I have to tell people that the only way they can use an Access Database is via the Web or via Remote Access.

Access could then claim to be a universal database.

72 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    10 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Bring back the Database Window

The Nav Pain is thoroughly unsuitable as a UI for very large, well-established projects. Small, user-created files with 10's of objects are suitable for the Nav Pane, but large, professionally developed files with thousands of objects are most certainly not. The Nav Pane lacks the visual differentiation to make finding objects simple -- and no, search is not a substitute for a good visually-oriented UI design.
    The Nav Pane is a drag on developer productivity

71 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    16 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have heard from customers who have been using the database window for a long time that they would like us to bring it back, as it is superior to the Nav Pane.

At this point we have no current plan to bring it back.

However, if you have specific suggestions on how to improve the Nav Pane, please submit them as separate items.

Thanks,
    Access Team

17. Fix Docmd.Transferspreadsheet

Microsoft Access and Microsoft Excel you would think would be hand in hand... but the problem has persisted for years that it has always been problematic getting the correct data types between Access and Excel columns when Importing and Exporting to and from Access to Excel and vice versa.

69 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Automating Tasks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Excel doesn’t support data types which makes it very hard for Access to recognize data types from Excel when importing.
    When using the wizard to import data from Excel, you can determine the column types and save the steps – this could be a workaround to mitigate the issue.

Access Team.

18. Give us LARGER DATABASES

The 2GB file size limit is becoming more of a problem. Given the current size limits on filesystems, and the increasing use of larger and larger datasets, this size limit is beginning to cramp the style of Access Developers and customers alike. SQL Server's local file store supported 10GB file sizes - why not make Access do the same?

69 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    16 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Provide a way to develop a truly "stand-alone" app

Hiding the ribbon, navigation pane, and database window, along with denying access to tables, queries and design environment always requires a lot of work. Would be nice to have a MDI form, and menu bar control. The user would only see and have access to the MDI and its menus. Everything else is hidden and unaccessible by the user.

68 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    No Current Plan  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Search and replace on all database objects.

Queries, Forms, Reports, Macro, VBA, possibly even tables.

Today I do this by exporting all database objects to text files, using a utility that I built, and then using a customer text search app that I built to find strings using regex matches. Then I have to go and open the objects and manually make the changes.

68 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    10 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for posting and supporting.

We realize the ask is to have this as a native functionality in Access but there are great third party tools available to solve this problem, and currently there is no plan to enable this.

Access Team

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8
  • Don't see your idea?

Access (Desktop Application)

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base