Feedback by UserVoice

Access (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Access Desktop feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.
We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Major bug in all versions of Access: handling of ESCAPE key

n all versions of Access that I am aware of, going back at least to Access 2000, the escape key cancels queries (whether select, update, append, etc.), and recordset operations (running in VBA).

On the surface this may be fine, but there is a major bug in the implementation: Access "listens" for the escape key regardless of whether it has the focus or not.

So for example, if you have a long running append query and then open Excel, Word, Outlook, or even your browser (any software, presumably), and hit the Escape key to cancel an action in that other…

29 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    6 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. data connector sql server

ADD SQL SERVER AS A DATA CONNECTOR - The Access team is currently evaluating the use of data connectors in Access, (https://youtu.be/j5UAv4yY5RY?t=2155), and we need your support to get them to include SQL Server as an option! PLEASE VOTE for this idea, every vote counts!

554 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    45 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Fix Confirmed Bug: Report Controls Jump Elsewhere When Moving

In Access 2010, 2013, 2016; when a report in design view exceeds a certain size overall (this has nothing to do with the 22" section maximum), try to move any type of control in the lower sections and it suddenly jumps elsewhere.
    This has been confirmed in forum post https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/a2db2cd7-f02b-4317-a663-e6a4dbb78cb9/report-controls-jump-elsewhere-when-moving?forum=accessdev. This post contains a link to a sample database that demonstrated the problem.
    It has also been confirmed via a support incident with Microsoft. The technical lead called it 'an Regression, an product defect' and asked that I post it here. It continually baffles me that when bugs are…

33 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Distribute Access apps on windows store

So that Access apps will run on Windows 10 S. I am following the launch of Windows 10 S with great interest. I am writing to this forum today to find out what the Microsoft best practice is for migrating Access applications complied to work with Microsoft Access run time (or some other method) to Windows Store apps (aka Windows platform apps) that could be offered in the Windows Store and would run on Windows 10 S and all versions of Windows 10? Since most Access apps are used within an organization it is likely that most Access Windows Store…

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Continue and extend backend functionality from AWA in Access Desktop

Given the fact a decision on AWA has been taken, here's I think what the development team should do. 1. Make AWA datamacros available in Access Desktop 2. Extend with support of Update/Create/Delete Queries in the query designer. 3. Explode functionality by making datamacros that return just one value available as functions within expression builders of queries and datamaros 4. Support the database qualifier in front of tablenames the way it is already available in SQL-Server between databases. this way users can integrate AWA managed and non-AWA managed very easily. (integration with CLR SQL-server projects and other tools that generate…

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Enhance the SQL Editor

Some features would be good to developers:
    1) Tabbed SQL Query Windows - allow user to create a query window without binding to a query object (like we do in SQL Server)

2) Format the query field with highlighting, identation, colors and make possible to even resize the font size. .

3) Allow intellisense to get [table].[field] list (in A2013 we have it in Query Designer but no in SQL mode)

4) Split the window in SQL Query and result pane - and make it possible to see result in table or text format (like we have in SQL Server).…

329 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    12 comments  ·  Queries  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Improve Access programmability

There are many new technologies available that Access cannot take full advantage of because it's either in .NET or requires JavaScript.

Excel has a JavaScript API being developed and expanding. Using JavaScript would allow for richer integration between desktop and web apps where appropriate.

On the other hand, native access to .NET framework would provide access to many other components that Access can leverage for automation.

What we can't do is just stay behind in COM world - COM ecosystem is shrinking and we need a solid integration support especially when our Access application only requires a small part to…

447 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Provide a native Treeview control

The Treeview control is an extremely powerful way to display related and hierarchical data in a nodal fashion. I have built application for years using the vb Treeview common control. These applications could not be successful without it. There is certain data such as a computer folder and file structure that would be nearly impossible to comprehend without it., However, the non native Treeview require serious knowledge of Access and VBA to use successfully. Also portability has always been a problem. A native control with some features that make binding data simpler (possibly a wizard), would really expand what the…

500 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    34 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Checkbox Alignment

When creating forms and reports, checkboxes should be centered in the space, not aligned at the upper left

93 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. 4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Reviewed for future consideration  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Create and promote a website for Access developers to list their applications and services.

MS already has a website for Access MVP's, but other ISV's, VAR's and developers who are not MVP's need a centralized place for consumers to search for a solutions provider. MS can provide a disclaimer on this website stating they're not responsible or endorsing any particular listing.

.. And while you're at it, create a separate category or page for "Access Marketing" ideas so that we don't have to mix these kinds of ideas with product improvements.

59 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    12 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for posting and for the interesting conversation.

Without taking an active part in this discussion, or making a corporate statement, I’ll just say that the Access team values our MVPs and their on-going contribution to both the product team and the broader community.

as for Frank’s suggestion – it’s a great one, and we’ll look into it. Thanks!

12. New Linked Table Manager – Suggested Improvements, Fixes, and Relative Path Relinking

Suggested Improvements & Fixes for the NEW Linked Table Manager (now available to Office 365 Insiders and Office 2019):

First, I want to say I really appreciate the new Linked Table Manager in Access (as available for Office 365 Insiders and Office 2019) and it's many incredible improvements. However, I have some suggestions to improve usability, address issues and add functionality to it:

1. Remove / Clarify Repeated Relink Table prompts when Change Data Source Path

Clarify "Do you want to relink the selected tables in the new data source" as for optional table renaming and replace "Cancel" button for…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  External Data Connectivity  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Relinking a Data Source, Table Name refresh confusing

The prompt that you receive when relinking to a data source regarding relinking table names seems inconsistent and confusing. If you end up trying to relink a data source and choose the same data source as original, you do not get a prompt. If you choose a different source, you get a prompt which asks whether you want to relink the selected tables. If you choose NO then it does refresh the links to each of the tables. If you choose YES you get prompted for the name of each table. If you are relinking to the same source, you…

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  External Data Connectivity  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. The Linked Table Manager is not an option in a database with no Linked tables

Since it now has an Add button, I do not see why this should be the case. Thus, for now, adding a link to your first table needs to be done the old way – through New Data Source.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  External Data Connectivity  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Increase visibility when using higher resolutions

Make adaptations in resizing reports and wizards etc. to ensure readability in higher display resolutions.

For example in the linked table manager but also when using interactive graphs in forms and some wizards the text becomes unreadable: The line width is too small to show the whole letter.

If I reduce display resolution it all works fine again.
    Also due to the inability in wizards and linked table manager to change the line width I cant use access at the preferred resolution.

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for posting.

Being able to increase visibility in higher resolutions and to support high DPI is a well known ask.
    We are adding this to our customers’ wish list, and for now closing this item for voting, so you can get your votes back (and you can add comments to show your support and share ideas).

Thanks,
    Access Team

16. Fix/remove the 'Powered by Microsoft Access' button

Since 2016 clicking the 'Powered by' button in the bottom right corner of the runtime goes to a web page that no longer exists. Looks like it is the same link from Access 2013...

2 minute fix to make things look a little more professional - OR - remove the feature altogether as I don't see the point if you are not going to promote Access.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Runtime  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Create Add-In Store

I think it would be a great idea to create an add-in store that would allow for developers to offer tools like V-Tools, the FMS Suites, Smart Indenter, and other VBA Add-ins in a centralized, official, and user-friendly location.

Current add-ins are only available by searching the web, and many results are either outdated, defunct, or unsafe.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Support BigInt in Access 2016 Runtime

The Access 2016 Runtime is currently based on the MSI version of Access 2016. It does not support v16.7 file format databases using the BigInt data type and throws an error when trying to open one of these databases.

Please release a version of the Access Runtime that can support BigInt numbers and databases in the v16.7 format.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. 2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. 14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Reviewed for future consideration  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3
  • Don't see your idea?

Access (Desktop Application)

Feedback and Knowledge Base