Feedback by UserVoice

Access (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Access Desktop feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.
We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Release an Office 2019 Access Runtime

The Access Team previously stated that "Access is included in all Office 365 plans and Access 2016 Runtime click-to-run is also available for customers".
    This leaves a gap for anyone that has installed a lower version of Office 2019 that does not include Access. The Access 2016 runtime will not install as it is MSI, the Office 365 access runtime will not install as it clashes with Office 2019, which it insists you uninstall.
    We are having to tell our customers to not install Office 2019.
    So please can we have a runtime that plays nicely with Office 2019

213 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    15 comments  ·  Runtime  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The current plan is to make Access RT 2019 available for customers to install from the Office Deployment Tool. This should be available in the second half of 2019.
    The recommendation for Office 2019 perpetual consumers, is (and will remain) to install the free version of O365 Access Runtime from the download page.

2. Fix Windows 10 1803 Frontend - Backend corruption issues

We have some databases with a split front end (stored on local computer) and backend (stored on a server mapped via relative path) using Access 2016 (build 9126.2259). Since upgrading many computers to Windows 10 1803 the backend database constantly becomes corrupt. We have to disable the three caches referenced in the article linked below in order for the corruption to stop, but this makes file server operations much slower while also causing unnecessary network traffic. We never had this issue on Windows 10 1703.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/it-pro/windows-7/ff686200(v=ws.10)

140 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Access database in an inconsistent state...Windows 10 1803 update

Access database in an inconsistent state....since the release of Windows 10, 1803 our significant percentage of our 3500 customers have consistently lost connection to the back-end database and been forced to stop work during the day to repair their database. Only recently did we discover the leasing fix. In the meantime, our product reputation has been adversely affected. Please release a production update since many of the IT people have refused to make the lanmanserver registry entry and are waiting for the Windows update. HELLO MICROSOFT PLEASE HELP!!

56 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  External Data Connectivity  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Enable Access (and all VBA apps) to work with the new Microsoft Graph

"Microsoft Graph is the gateway to data and intelligence in Microsoft 365. Microsoft Graph provides a unified programmability model that you can use to take advantage of the tremendous amount of data in Office 365, Enterprise Mobility + Security, and Windows 10.
    You can use the Microsoft Graph API to build apps for organizations and consumers that interact with the data of millions of users. With Microsoft Graph, you can connect to a wealth of resources, relationships, and intelligence, all through a single endpoint: https://graph.microsoft.com."

It seems that just about every language except VBA can be used to run…

51 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Cloud  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Bug Report -- Multiple Access Crashes

Since 8/1/2018, MS Access has been crashing repeatedly on multiple machines in our office. We are on 64 bit Office 365 and Windows 10. It appears some bug must have been introduced during one of the automatic updates.

This crash appears to occur with automation where I think a second instance of MS Access is calling an MS access program, but not totally sure:

Faulting application name: MSACCESS.EXE, version: 16.0.10325.20118, time stamp: 0x5b64d927
    Faulting module name: OLEAUT32.dll, version: 10.0.17134.48, time stamp: 0xebd737a3
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x000000000008a283
    Faulting process id: 0x32a0
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d43fb636a345d3
    Faulting application path:…

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Add a butoon on the end of each tab to quick close

Some actions require for a sheet to be closed. While I see the logic for this it would be easier if when the mouse hovered over the tab a button to close the tab would pop-up. This would be much faster than left-clicking the tab and then selecting close

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Planned  ·  3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. new features

background pictures, different colors, and better access to things

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Refresh table on right click

Whenever I modify a table or a view in SQL server I need to go refresh the table link. Currently that means
    * right click a table
    * Select Linked table manager
    * Find the table I want to refresh
    * select it
    * click refresh table links

I would really like it, if we could simple right click a linked table, and just select refresh to have that single table refreshed.

29 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. bring it into conformance with high DPI design standards

Need to clean up all the UI to scale properly on high DPI displays. E.g., Navigation pane vertical object spacing, low res navigation pane object and navigation (expand/contract) icons, and "Save changes to the following objects" dialog box.

(Hate to spend precious votes on what is basically a set of defects, but there it is.)

53 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Planned  ·  5 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Add Accdb wise grouping in linked table manager.

It becomes difficult to identify the source of a table when using multiple databases as a backend.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Improved Table Manager

Create an enhanced table manager that allows users to specify data source (sql, access, txt etc), source table name, attached name, any passwords (encrypted or hidden) and primary keys so that the system will drop existing links and refresh as needed. You would need a couple of tables for data sources and data source tables but many developers have done this over the years and lots of examples that could be incorporated. This is used all the time.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Fix Crash when setting a filter in a Report in a Navigation Control (Access 2013/2016)

I have a form with a navigation control. In a navigation button, I set the Navigation Target to the Report "rpt_Test". In the Open event of rpt_Test, I set a filter:

Private Sub Report_Open(Cancel As Integer)

Me.Filter = "TestID > 5"
    Me.FilterOn = True

' Access crashes on the End Sub Statement in the second execution
    End Sub

When I navigate to this button, the Report_Open event is fired twice, and the crash occurs on the Exit Sub the second time around. It is a hard crash with the message "Access has stopped working".
    I can produce the crash as…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Change Link Path Without DB

It would be great to be able to Change the Path of existing Linked Tables to another path even if we don't have that path. This would greatly simplify deploying to client networks. We could deliver the database all ready and configured.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Office Themse

Hi Microsoft! I would like you to add more color Office Themes in Ms Access , because i saw only two object in it. And I think it easy for user to protect their eyes form Computer light, Thanks

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Drag & Drop etc.

Drag & Drop function, reordering per Drag & Drop endless-formulars, time selector a' jquery - charts like in excel - outlook integration (kalendar object) ... you can take ideas from gambas3 linux there are many good objects

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for taking the time to post your suggestions. It is hard to respond as there are multiple items in your single suggestion.

As for charts – we are actively looking into ways to modernize data visualization in Access.

Stay tuned.

Thanks,
    Michal [MSFT]

16. Office 2016 / ODBC - Problem with drivers in Access files - Please confirm if this is By Design

Customer has a HRD application connects to Access DB. After installing ODBC 2016 or Office 2016 (which includes ODBC), the awards in Logbook ceases to work and reports only zeros. Customer has a workaround for now:

Fix: An automatic workaround will be put into HRD.
    Workaround:
    Modify the registry to use the new (old) strings.
    1. Pull up regedit and go to HKCU\Software\ODBC\ODBC.INI\ODBC Data Sources
    2. Note the “Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb, *.accdb)”. That was added partially in 2007 and fully in 2010. Some older entries may have the old style string already.
    3. Change them back to the original…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for calling out this issue Subhabrata.
    We are investigating this issue.

@Mark Burns – this is a different issue that we are looking into as well. Please post as a separate suggestion so people can vote on it and we can address.

Michal [MSFT]

17. SQL Server - Linked Tables: Add discription to field names in development mode.

In MS Access its easy to add descriptions to fields in table editor. These descriptions are neither taken over when using ssma nor are they brought back to Access when already existing in sql server.

I've written a vba-script that creates an T_SQL script to create all field descriptions of a table. But even if descriptions exists they are not reshown in the linked table.

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  External Data Connectivity  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base