I suggest you ...

Incorporate Power BI as an Add-in to New version of Access 2017

Since Pivots & Charts have been removed from Ver 2010 onwards, its been a big problem for us consultants to provide charting and pivoting features to our customers. These are features simply adored by our customers due to their ease of use. But after looking at Power BI I feel since its from the same Microsoft family the Access Team should consider incorporating it in their Next Product Planning process.

386 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Manish BatolaManish Batola shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →
    Under Review  ·  Access TeamAdminAccess Team (Admin, Microsoft) responded  · 

Thanks for posting and voting.
    Integrating Power BI with Access is one of the things we believe will add value to Access developers and users. We are looking into ways to support that.
    Keep voting if this is important to you – it will increase the likelihood of it getting in the product.

25 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Joe Anderson (Access MVP, aka DatabaseMX)Joe Anderson (Access MVP, aka DatabaseMX) commented  · 

re:
        "Hope this also will include the possibility to link Excel tables into Access and make them editable"
        That's not going to happen. Editing linked Excel 'tables' was removed quite some time ago due to a rather strange law suit against Microsoft by a company in the UK I believe. So, really not chance of that happening.
        Note however that you can still 'edit' ( and more) Excel files via VBA code.

• PeterFPeterF commented  · 

Hope this also will include the possibility to link Excel tables into Access and make them editable

• James MukaJames Muka commented  · 

Any thoughts on this Access Team?

• James MukaJames Muka commented  · 

Access Team...any update on Power BI directly in Access? Please let us know so we can plan accordingly.

• Anonymous commented  · 

Why? Power BI doesn't support pivot tables.. only the excel way.. no way!

• JohnJohn commented  · 

While this would be a nice to have, I really don't see a lot of value in including it in Access at this time. It is intended to be a business intelligence tool which is new and constantly changing. POWER BI is awesome but Access is awesome at creating, manipulating and reporting data on a day-to-day production basis. There are many features in Access that Microsoft resources could be working on that I would rather see those being developed knowing I can link to Access files in POWER BI for analysis anyway. These are 2 different groups of users anyway.

• pflipperpflipper commented  · 

This would be a huge benefit to Access development. Many users have no interest in how the navigation environment gets created, but are very particular on what the output should be and how it should look. Allow Access to integrate with Power BI would allow developers to create a great app with some canned reports, but give users the flexibility to tweak the reports as they wish. A "win-win" in my opinion.

• TimTim commented  · 

Please add all PowerBI desktop features into the next version of Microsoft Access including the support for "R" script. Biologists love to use "R" scripts and too many small biological databases can not be merged and stored in Access databases or text files. Thank you.

I am disappointed that Microsoft has not invested much in Microsoft Access database technology lately.

• Tao GuiTao Gui commented  · 

SQL Server Express is just a database engine. It does not have data entry forms and reports built into it. This is the reason we still use Access database as our rapid development tool. Please add mobile devices support to Access. The new version of Filemaker can work with iPAD, iPhone and Android devices. Filemaker is owned by Apple. Please add these features to Access. Thank you.

• Tao GuiTao Gui commented  · 

Please include Power BI feature and DAX in the new version of Desktop/Web Access database. We have many ecological databases. These databases are often needed in the backcountry or remote site by researchers where there are no internet connection. If Microsoft does not improve Access database technology, we will use Filemaker which is owned by Apple. The new version of Filemaker can work with iPAD, iPhone and Android devices. Excel is not a database. I would prefer BI feature built in Access database than Excel.

• Anonymous commented  · 

Great use cases for BI in access. Please do this.

• pflipperpflipper commented  · 

I vote "yes" for this. It seems like integrating the two make a lot of sense for both products.

• Adrian Bell (MVP)Adrian Bell (MVP) commented  · 

I would suggest, if Pivot Charts is what you really want to see, that you post such a proposal, or vote for an existing one if that suits you better.

I'm not sure that such a comment, in here, helps to focus the team on what should be worked on.

• Mark WoodheadMark Woodhead commented  · 

Power BI would be great, but all my Access 2007 version apps use Pivot Charts, so I am concerned about their future and how I will upgrade them to 2017. Bringing back Pivot Charts may be the simpler option.

• JohnJohn commented  · 

POWER BI desktop is currently on a monthly feature update schedule. In order to be included in Access, it would somehow have to reflect these continual updates.

• B. ClothierB. Clothier commented  · 

Just to clarify - I don't know if I want this as merely "Add-In" - seems this is very essential and should be a part of Access, as a native control or something similar. If it is an optional add-in, this will complicate the deployment and therefore the adoption. Make it very easy to adopt out of the box.

• Doug YDoug Y commented  · 

I just did. Thanks Joe.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base