Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

Better integration with SQL Server

Install SQL Express alongside Access and make SQL Server the default database format instead of ACE. With a SQL Server database Access could and should support all the features it currently supports with ACE. Integrating SQL Server in that way would enable a much greater range of features and use cases to be supported out-of-the box.

228 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    nto shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

28 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • nto commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

KVD, maybe you could elaborate on what you mean by not being able to afford this option. SQL Server is free to download and use. If Microsoft integrated it properly with Access then using Access with SQL Server wouldn't cost any more than using Access with Jet/ACE. This would be a major upgrade in Access capabilities because people could seamlessly take advantage of SQL Server features at no extra cost.

• KVD commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Perhaps I am misreading this thread ... I vote AGAINST SQL Server as the DEFAULT backend. Most of my clients cannot afford this switch. I personally do not see a need for it. As is we can choose SQL Server as a backend if we want to, right? The default back end is Access itself now and it should continue to be so. I would really hate to see SQL Server usurping this place first by default and then and over time, Access back ends will get "deprecated" and will be gone.

• Frank Rotolo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No one really loves Jet/ACE, but I think MSFT continues to include it as the native backend because it's easier for inexperienced users to work with? Many Access applications still use MDB/ACCDB's and a good upsizing wizard would be required, along with a good SSIS-like GUI for maintaining the BE's.

• Ananda Sim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, I support making the ACE to SQL Server bridge more comprehensive, overcoming glitches and differences between the current ACE - ODBC driver - Jet.

I'm encountering NVARCHAR(MAX) not working properly against MEMO, so I'm using NTEXT for the time being. I've left the mapping of double to SQL Server float/real instead of the more precise data type.

SQL identity column mechanism doesn't generate a number at the same event as Autonumber.

The bit field has a null state that does not match Access boolean field

Those kind of things.

Improve ACE - ODBC driver if possible. Don't weaken Access by stripping out ACE and making the old Access Data Project

ADP was the wrong solution to the wrong problem. I don't want to bring back ADP, I want to see Access upgraded so that it can take full advantage of SQL Server to the point where SQL Server becomes a suitable replacement for ACE.

Alphonse, SQL Express is installed in many multi-user environments and other Microsoft products install it by default. Installing Jet/ACE makes much less sense in a multi-user environment which is why I'm suggesting SQL Express instead. If the user already has a SQL Server installed then the install process could give them the option to use that instead of SQL Express.

• Daniel chen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You mean "bring back adp?"
        All they had to do is listen to what we told them two years ago in seatlle

2 Next →

Feedback and Knowledge Base