Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

USysNotes Object for documentation

When creating objects such as forms and reports it would useful to be able to have a dialogue form where you can key in notes and a date to keep documentation current. Have a few columns for date, user notes and developer notes. On the ribbon, have a notes icon which will open the notes to the current object for display and edit. Have it link to the ID Field in Msysobject table.

27 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
John shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

7 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would live to be able to put notes on Queries when in Design view. How helpful would that be?

• KVD commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

First, Yes, improving documentation via dated and version controlled Notes is a fantastic improvement. This is especially so when we inherit someone else's work and asked to improve on it. Let us make sure when we copy an object we inherit the Notes in the copy and when we rename an object we do NOT lose its metadata.

• Mark Burns commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This idea is on a short path to something bigger and more substantive called Source Control / Version Control, and this type of documentation is an integral part of those subjects.

• John commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would include a field for to define type of note (user notes, developer notes, system generated audit notes) so you could toggle between them if in development mode and only user notes showing when user is running the app.

• B. Clothier commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would probably go further with this idea. Instead of merely being a repository for manually entered notes, it can also auto-track the history of changes that a developer makes to the application. That might make it easy to keep track of what was changed, and thus give a good summary of what changed.

• George Hepworth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Interesting idea. Although many developers use comments in code, and a table of changes, it would be very convenient to have that functionality at the push of a button.

Feedback and Knowledge Base