Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

Linked Table Manager -- SIZEABLE Dialog Box

Access 2016 has a wider dialog box for the Linked Table Manager, but it would be even nicer if this dialog box was sizeable -- and even better if the size can be remembered!

At the request of Microsoft, I am creating a new suggestion to separate the multiple ideas from the suggestion here:

http://access.uservoice.com/forums/319956-access-desktop/suggestions/10129782-linked-table-options?tracking_code=2f58832dad1aa8b9e83d9230087106c8

so if you voted on that one, remove your vote and vote for this instead, if this is what you want.

Also posted:
LinkedTable Manager -- skip tables with errors

Thank you

71 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Crystal shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Scottgem Access MVP since 2007 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just noticed today that a Horizontal scrollbar has been added to LTM, at least in 2010. While this is not as good as a sizable dialog, it certainly is a lot better then having paths cut off as was previously the case.

• Pat Hartman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I wonder if anyone is actually thinking about this. It has been more than six months!!!! All I know is that if a client asks me to change the way a form is sorted, I can get it done in under 5 minutes. Somethings are simply no-brainers.

• Crystal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank you, glad to see this is under review. While you are at it ... I agree with Pat about sorting by back-end! ... even when we finally can see the whole name ~. If the linked table manager would then skip what couldn't be linked and leave the boxes checked so we can link to something else, that would be great.

• Pat Hartman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Making it sizable is only part way there. The real benefit would be to enable sorting on the linked BE. As all of us know (perhaps MS does not know), it is extremely difficult to relink when there are multiple BE's involved since you can't get them all together. I don't know about you, but when I have to select 20 tables from one BE and 3 from another and 5 from yet another, I invariably miss one and then the dialog prompts me to locate the BE for each and every table I selected. Give us a break and allow us to sort the list to give us a fighting shot and selecting all the tables we need at one time. I wouldn't even ask that you make the dialog intelligent enough to relink multiple BE's.

• KVD commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just looked at https://support.office.com/en-gb/article/What-s-new-in-Access-2016-76454345-f85d-47af-ace1-98a456cb3496 where it shows a preview of the dialog box in Office 2016. The Access team has made it a little wider but has failed to make the dialog box sizable. They have made it exportable to Excel (like that was more important than making the dialog box sizable).

I know we are asking for improvement favors and my tone and attitude is hostile and sarcastic. Anybody care to tell us why we need fixed size dialog boxes ANYWHERE in Access?

Feedback and Knowledge Base