Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

Enhance the SQL Editor

Some features would be good to developers:
1) Tabbed SQL Query Windows - allow user to create a query window without binding to a query object (like we do in SQL Server)

2) Format the query field with highlighting, identation, colors and make possible to even resize the font size. .

3) Allow intellisense to get [table].[field] list (in A2013 we have it in Query Designer but no in SQL mode)

4) Split the window in SQL Query and result pane - and make it possible to see result in table or text format (like we have in SQL Server). So, we can click on "execute/run" and see both panels.

Thanks!

329 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Allan John Neros shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you everyone for voting and adding valuable comments.
The team has reviewed and will take into consideration when planning future Access features and capabilities.

This item will be closed for voting, but you can add comments to show your support and share ideas.

Access Engineering

12 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Mark Hammer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If I were Microsoft and didn't want to spend any time on making the SQL editor reasonably usable (which doesn't make any sense), then make an offer to FieldEffect LLC for their Access SQL Editor plug-in, and make it a standard part of Microsoft Access. It does formatting and syntax coloring, and the only basic thing missing is a way to change the background color and text colors.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why not combine the editing of everything: SQL, VBA, and Expressions in a single simplified VS-like editor?

• wilo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

a very simple improvement for me would be:
    allow the font to be configured für query designer
    persist the formatting for SQL-Querys (like it already is for union querys)

• Queen Nikole West commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Allow assigned users to submit updates direct to SQL as well as give the owner the ability to set a reminder for the assigned employees.

• isladogs commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also allow users to move direct to SQL view from the ribbon rather than first selecting design view

• Bruce commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I wish they'd take out the thing that vomits unnecessary parentheses all over my WHERE clauses.

• Mark Jaskula commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Pitty this won't go anywhere. You can always use SSMS to create your queries and then use passthrough SQL queries using something like the following hack:

Dim qdf As DAO.QueryDef
    Set qdf = CurrentDb.CreateQueryDef("")
    qdf.connect = "ODBC;Database=tsfe;FileDSN=C:\settings\tsfe.dsn;"
    qdf.sql = queryStr
    qdf.ReturnsRecords = True
    qdf.ODBCTimeout = 0
    Set SQLOpen = qdf.OpenRecordset
    Set qdf = Nothing

• Dolly commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We asked numerous times to enhance the SQL editor and they all been shot down. Just not going to happen any time soon, if ever!

• RaymondC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Complicated queries with multiple outer joins often require sub-queries. While this can be done in the SQL window, it would be nice if there was a way to do this in the designer window.

It would also be nice if you could create SQL Server pass-through queries in the designer window and not just manually in the SQL window (or in code).

Feedback and Knowledge Base