Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

access help

PLEASE give us back Access Help like it used to be in Access 2003!

9 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
Done!  ·  AdminAccess Team (Product Manager, Microsoft) responded  · 

The Help system is actually a shared piece of engineering owned by a different team and surfaced within all of the Office applications. As such, this isn’t really an action item that the Access development team can take in isolation of the existing Office system.
We have passed on this feedback to the right team for their consideration. They did ask us to forward on the following information to you:
You can download an Access 2016 VBA CHM file on GitHub for offline use. You can find it here:
https://github.com/OfficeDev/VBA-content/blob/master/README.md

You can find 2013 version of VBA documentation here:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40326

11 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Nick67 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

'Good news. The entire Access Help (et al) is being completely revamped as we speak, and a LOT of progress has already been made. Microsoft is well aware of the issue, and has a dedicated group to 'fix it'

@mx. The F1 VBA help is now almost entirely broken. How do you tie the VBA F1 into the 2013 documentation?

Nick67

• Bill Vernola commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Here it is months later and MS may be working hard but it's working on crap not everyone wants. Office vers. 2013 and 2016 still don't coexist on single system, and still can't get offline support (help files) so working in the field is impossible ti do effieciently. MS has lost sight of satisfying it's customers. Totally dissappointed. Previous version worked better

• Dolly commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Michal,

So are we to understand you aren't actually going to give us back local help files as was the case in 2003, as the suggestion requested and going to continue forcing the online help upon us?

We're just going to have to continue suffering being redirected to completely irrelevant pages, having no help when without internet connectivity, ...

• Rachel Levine commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I keep A 97 loaded ONLY for the HELP system. Someone once told me that the dept at MS that handles the HELP is called "End-User productivity." When they redid HELP, it became "End user-productivity" When I enter a typical command or function, instead of getting THAT first, I get all kinds of weird other stuff...it's just not working.

• Patrick Headley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Forget how it was in Access 2003. Access 97 had the best help files. If it could work as well as Access 97 but Web based, that would be ideal.

• Jeff Elder commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ya, it used to be great. Why did you break it? And why no resource for Access templates on the Microsoft website? The few templates that come installed are not very good. You'd think Microsoft would have a HUGE resource of refined templates by now. But when it comes to templates and help, I find myself going to other websites more often than the Microsoft website! That's RIDICULOUS!

• Adrian Bell (MVP) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Mark.

Just a tip for you - when responding to the question about if the page was what you were after, give your feedback in there. That's mainly for how appropriate the page is for the topic etc., and it's feedback they can use to improve things when it's used properly.

HTH -Ade.

• Mark Burns commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

JoeA,

Are they going to start paying better attention to the horrid code examples, and also giving proper documentation to API/Library object method/property calls/items? (thing like clearly identifying return data types where they are now missing, and as a great bonus, specifying what error codes are likely to be thrown? (I'd give serious bonus points for that last one, but gave up holding my breath on that subject long ago...)

• KVD commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is great news! I have unvoted for my own request.

• Joe Anderson (Access MVP, aka DatabaseMX) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Good news. The entire Access Help (et al) is being completely revamped as we speak, and a LOT of progress has already been made. Microsoft is well aware of the issue, and has a dedicated group to 'fix it'

Feedback and Knowledge Base