Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

Subform in continous form

Today we can't use a subform in a continous form.

138 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Francesco Cavalli shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Alan Cossey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Remember you can also have subdatasheets to your datasheets as well. You can't have headers and stuff to the datasheet, but you could put the datasheet on a top-level form so you have the datasheet as your subform and then the subdatasheet runs off that.

• Missinglinq commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As Kent said, you can, in fact, have a Subform when the Main Form is in Continuous View...you simply need to fool the Access Gnomes in order to do this! The workaround requires that you put the Subform either in the Header or the Footer of your Main Form.

You need to:

Create your Main Form in Single Form View

Place the Subform in Header or Footer Section, whichever you like

Save the Form

Now go into Properties and change the Form's Default View to Continuous

• Daniela Juessen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That would be fantastic. I need it quite often and always have to program work-arounds. Oracle forms is quite capable of doing that even nested unlimited times.

• Michelle Keener commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have had to create a work-around for the 'subform within continuous form' in the past. Although it works, it required a great deal of programming and is not as quick as I would like it to be. Having a subform within continuous form would be a huge improvement.

• KVD commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As critical as I am of MS Access and the way it treats the programmer/consultant, this is business of subforms and sub-subforms is an AWESOME capability. Offhand I do not know of any other software platform that can do this. Simple example: if you have two bank accounts at the same bank and you visit them on the web, you can see only one a ta a time in a given window. My meandering point is, if the Access team can bring this to fruition, it would be fantastic!

• Kent commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Despite the warning, you can put a subform in the Footer of a continuous form.
        Just not in the detail section so you can only see the children of the current record.

Feedback and Knowledge Base