Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

Office 2016 / ODBC - Problem with drivers in Access files - Please confirm if this is By Design

Customer has a HRD application connects to Access DB. After installing ODBC 2016 or Office 2016 (which includes ODBC), the awards in Logbook ceases to work and reports only zeros. Customer has a workaround for now:

Fix: An automatic workaround will be put into HRD.
Workaround:
Modify the registry to use the new (old) strings.
1. Pull up regedit and go to HKCU\Software\ODBC\ODBC.INI\ODBC Data Sources
2. Note the “Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb, *.accdb)”. That was added partially in 2007 and fully in 2010. Some older entries may have the old style string already.
3. Change them back to the original “Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)”
(Although this looks trivial, the poorly written ODBC driver requires an EXACT match.)
4. Restart HRD and it should work.
6) Customer clearly confirmed me that there is nothing to do with bitness of office, OS or drivers.

What we need from PG:
Is this an expected behavior or anything By Design? Please confirm.

4 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Subhabrata Basu shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Planned  ·  AdminAccess Team (Admin, Microsoft) responded  · 

Thanks for calling out this issue Subhabrata.
    We are investigating this issue.

@Mark Burns – this is a different issue that we are looking into as well. Please post as a separate suggestion so people can vote on it and we can address.

Michal [MSFT]

8 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i am on win10 office 2016 C2R the driver string is not even showing up on my machine

• Frank Rotolo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Mark, I agree with you. FYI, I recently changed my email address in user voice settings and low_and_behold, I now have 20 more votes available! The votes I had cast under my previously registered email address didn't disappear.

• Mark Burns commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Frank / Microsoft,

Isn't it a tad silly to have to UN-vote for something I DO support to add something new - only to then un-vote for what I just added to put my vote back where I had it? (and then leave the new suggestion/idea with NO votes?! ...or just forget that I supported another idea instead? The 20-vote limit is just silly to begin with, though I understand that it serves and anti-spam purpose.)

@Frank,

Oh, yes, I know that. They're there, but they're unusable by 3rd-party / out-of-process applications!
        So, they're basically NOT there at the same time.

• Frank Rotolo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Mark, the only temporary workaround is to unvote the least important ideas you voted on. As to the ODBC drivers, they're installed, but not visible outside of Office because they're inside the CTR virtualization container. I don't know if MS intentionally design it this way, and if so, why?, but its certainly a major problem!

I am unable to post any new items due to the 20-vote (dumb) limit for voting on items. Once this limit is reached posting new requests is disabled.

This is only made worse by the affects of the different MS-Office installers. Traditional .MSI office installs do have this issue as stated. Click-To-Run (App-V based) installed Office apps have a WORSE issue in that the ODBC drivers APPEAR TO NOT BE INSTALLED AT ALL to the host OS.

Feedback and Knowledge Base