Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

Include Access runtime in editions of Office which have click-to-run which stops installation of most up-to-date version of runtime.

When a PC has an edition of Office 365 installed which does not have the full edition of Access included, e.g. all the Business editions and the basic E1 enterprise edition, it is not possible to install the current version of the runtime as well since the Access runtime is an MSI installation and Office 365 is click-to-run. See https://blogs.office.com/2015/12/16/access-2016-runtime-is-now-available-for-download/ for more details.
If Microsoft do any serious development on Access (let's call it Access 2019), it means we cannot install the Access 2019 runtime and will be stuck with the Access 2016 runtime (or earlier), thereby missing out on all the goodies in Access 2019.
This could be overcome by including the current version of the Access runtime in the C2R versions of Office, e.g. Office 365 E3.

Either that or give us a C2R installation of Access 2016+ runtime, please.

19 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Alan Cossey shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Done!  ·  AdminAccess Team (Admin, Microsoft) responded  · 

Access is included in all Office 365 plans and Access 2016 Runtime click-to-run is also available for customers.

Michal [MSFT]

12 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Michal, you said "Access is included in all Office 365 plans and Access 2016 Runtime click-to-run is also available for customers." Where can I get the CTR version of Access 2016 Runtime?

• Andy Hooper commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a real problem for those of us doing dev work who need to connect to Excel files in various places. In order to [in my case] build SSIS packages in Visual Studio that can connect to various levels of Excel files I need to have various levels of Access Runtime (2010, 2013, etc.) installed on my workstation. I cannot install any of these with the C2R version of Office installed, and since we have an EA license, there is nowhere within office.com for me to order replacement media. Please help.

I think there is some confusion. The topic is the C2R version of the Access *Runtime*, not the full version of Access. There is no C2R version of Access Runtime. I even tried downloading it via configuration.xml and ODT by specifying "AccessRuntimeRetail" but it didn't work. There is only an MSI version of the runtime and a C2R version of Access. Please make C2R version of Access Runtime available. Post a link or proof. Or it doesn't exist.

So I found the C2R version of Runtime but it will not run with the C2R version of Office which Office 365 is so my choice is either have Runtime without Office or Office without Runtime, this sucks!

• Brian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Very Please to see this is now "Planned!"
        Can you provide us any guidance on a time frame when we may see this released?

• Pat Hartman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft doesn't consider Access to be a "real" development platform and that lack of understanding is what causes serious issues like this. It would be a wonderful thing if MS would simply sell the rights to Access to another company since they don't have a clue what they have (the BEST RAD database tool EVER created) and they keep trying to dumb it down and make it impossible to use as a serious development platform or taking stupid tangents into useless "features" such as Access Web databases.. Then at lease, someone will take an interest in actually bringing Access into the current century. If MS won't sell Access, at least they should consider separating it from Office so it doesn't get wrapped up in this type of conundrum. Access isn't even included in the O365 small business versions!!!! Who uses Access in corporate America? Very few people because their IT departments FORBID it.

• Brian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

CRITICAL ISSUE!
        Clients now expect the FREE Runtime to work. They don;t need the full development version but can't use runtime due to this appalling clash!
        Access 2010 Runtime will almost work but not with any ribbon customisation as this uses the MSO.dll that is "owned" by the Click to Run!!!
        I would give this way more votes if I had any left.
        MS MUST at minimum release a C2R Access Runtime version to enable compatibility with Desktop Office! -Better still include FULL ACCESS WITH ALL 365 PLANS.
        But please get this failure sorted URGENTLY.

• Frank Rotolo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This has become a real problem! Its because of click-to-run's virtualization features. This is another of several reasons why I have not upgraded any of my customers past Office 2010 Pro (msi version). There are other CTR headaches, like other external applications can't see the ODBC drivers, and neither can you because they're hidden inside the virtual container. This problem probably extends to other areas such as add-ins, PS scripts, and so on. I don't know if MS intentionally did this, and if so, why?

Feedback and Knowledge Base