Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

Generate barcodes

Access needs a native control that accepts a string and outputs it as a barcode displayed on a Form or Report.
The most commonly used barcodes these days are:
Code 128
Code 39
DataMatrix
PDF417
QR Code
etc

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barcode

reason for request: there is no easy way to generate barcodes, especially 2D ones with pure VBA without having to reference external OCX/DLL libraries.
Office (Access, Word, Excel) needs a built in barcode control.

88 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Piotr Osak shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Need more info  ·  AdminAccess Team (Admin, Microsoft) responded  · 

Hi Piotr, and barcode supporters,

It would be good to hear more about what you’d expect from a native barcode control -
    what formats are mostly used? what are other requirements for barcode support?

Thanks,
    Michal [MSFT]

11 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Gerrit Viehmann commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

At the moment I use QR Code and Code 39. DataMatrix, Code 128 and UPC/EAN may be very useful too.

To create them I use:
        1) In Word the (badly documented) DISPLAYBARCODE field (e.g. { DISPLAYBARCODE "1234" QR \s 50 \q 3 }).

2) In Access reports I use a function that returns (and creates) a gif-file with the barcode (QR Codes mostly). It uses Zint (https://zint.github.io/) as the barcode generator. It is not reliably fast enough to create the files on the fly, so they have to be created before the report is opened. An inbuilt function or a barcode control that works with reports would be very nice to have.

3) For Code 39 I also use a free font (Code-39-hoch©by Logitogo 2008).

4) I have successfully used the Web control to create QR Codes with open source JavaScript code in an Access-Form. It is quite fast, but unfortunately not usable in reports.

• PeterF commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

EAN13 and GS128 are used in Swedish and European brewing industry. Would be great if you could support those codes!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Barcode verifiers should comply with the ISO/IEC 15426-1 (linear) or ISO/IEC 15426-2 (2D).

This standard defines the measuring accuracy of a barcode verifier.

The current international barcode quality specification is ISO/IEC 15416 (linear) and ISO/IEC 15415 (2D). The European Standard EN 1635 has been withdrawn and replaced by ISO/IEC 15416. The original U.S. barcode quality specification was ANSI X3.182. (UPCs used in the US – ANSI/UCC5).

This standard defines the quality requirements for barcodes and Matrix Codes (also called Optical Codes).

As of 2011 the ISO workgroup JTC1 SC31 was developing a Direct Part Marking (DPM) quality standard : ISO/IEC TR 29158.[30]

International standards are available from the International Organization for Standardization (ISO).[31]

These standards are also available from local/national standardization organizations, such as ANSI, BSI, DIN, NEN and others.
        (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barcode)

Hope - this helps..

• Angel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use EAN13 and UPC.

But would be nice, to have something like a com library to do jan, ean, upc and 2d barcodes.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just install the barcode font on your machine and set your report text boxes to that font. Simple.

• Martin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you don't want to wait for these options, I can strongly recommend the following tool https://strokescribe.com/. It's inexpensive, it generates all the codes you probably ever would need, you can use it in all office apps, you can generate all the codes dynamically. I've been using it in a professional environment for years.

Feedback and Knowledge Base