Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

Provide a real SQL Server Front End technology LIKE ADP was

Old ADP Technology in Access provides a Perfect technology to use all the power of a SQL Server Backend. Even if you dont use Access to build the database, is imperative to be able to use Access as a front end to connect to a SQL Server backend like ADP technology provide.

Sincé ADP was deprecated, any other technology provided is real to get a Client/server app. ODB Linked tables can not use Stored procedures and major work must be done in Access.

If is decided to deprecate a technology, you must offer a valid alternative with almost the same functionality.

large inversions and hundrer of hours of work is goint to get obsolete in our customers.

58 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • roman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Previous ideas to recover ADP projects was closed without even some explanation. Very strange.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft has decided to kill ADP not because it was bad
        because they went through a period of mental stumbling
        I was In Seattle conference when they have decided to do so
        I offered alternatives that would keep the functionality of ADP without the complications it has
        ADP was the best product for SQL server
        you can see suggestion above with top rating to add SQL server connector
        ADP did that and much more
        they just wanted to promote the crippled access web application with not much success
        now they realize they not only failed but also lost the market for other products
        now they put new people to try and revive what they have killed
        just bring back simple connection to SQL that bring the entire schema
        with ability to use all objects such as tables, views, functions and stored procedures
        through in few new components such as native treeview with grid, listview and we are good to go
        we don't need any design capabilities for any of the SQL objects - that could easily achieved using management studio -
        currently we still running a complete ERP system on ADP 2010 and SQL 2016
        it works like magic and the speed is unbeatable

that would be the greatest revive of ms access

• Steve Kaltenhauser commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree! I have several applications that are all ticking time boms...
        ADP was fantastic and allowed MS Access to scale to a large number of users and work with very large datasets.
        I'm still baffled why Microsoft dropped this functionality.
        Sure, it may not be the best choice for applications that belong in the Enterprise, N-tiered world, but there is a very useful space for ADP.
        Furthermore, I see no technical reason why Microsoft needed to remove this capability.
        Please give it back!

• B. Clothier commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Note that there is already an item that address this subject.

https://access.uservoice.com/forums/319956-access-desktop-application/suggestions/15993274-make-access-a-better-odbc-client

Note: A popular misconception is that ODBC is not "native" - in fact, SQL Server does uses ODBC natively and has for a while. However, Access' support of features that already exists in ODBC needs to be improved and that's a lower hanging fruit, IMHO.

Feedback and Knowledge Base