I suggest you ...

Bug: (-7713) Reserved Error

Happing a lot in Office build 1611 for no apparent reason, completely stable in build 1609

46 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Mark JaskulaMark Jaskula shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

41 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Bud StaniekBud Staniek commented  · 

We managed to fix this persistent error that started to affect users on the Office 365 Deferred channel the first week in July. That is the bulk of our users. At first we turned to Microsoft tech support. A tech recommended we run a batch file to switch to the Current channel and get the latest update. That did not work. So we took a cue from Chris Gonderzik's post here and rolled back the version/build to build 1609. That worked fine. 1609 did not ding us with the 7713. The actual build number we rolled back to was 7369.2151, release date 7/13/2017.

The procedure we used was based on this Microsoft support article for rolling back Office updates:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2770432/how-to-revert-to-an-earlier-version-of-office-2013-or-office-2016-clic

Also helpful was a similar article on CNET:

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-revert-to-the-previous-version-of-office-365/

Here is the batch file we ran on the affected machines.
        cd %programfiles%\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\ClickToRun
        officec2rclient.exe /update user updatetoversion=16.0.7369.2151

Caveat: This will only work for Office 365 users on the Deferred channel. We tried something similar for a few users on the Current channel and while it worked for Access 2016, Word and Excel did not like it.

Hope this helps and that Microsoft can figure out why the 1609 version works while their 1700 versions do not.

• Rich BensteadRich Benstead commented  · 

I am also experiencing this error. I tested my application today against Access 2016 (version 1707 build 8326.2062). My application also has linked tables and the problem occurs against PostgreSQL but not Oracle. The problem does not occur for users running Access 2007. I really hope this issue is resolved soon as it is causing significant annoyance for both developers and users.

• Chris GonderzikChris Gonderzik commented  · 

We have been getting the error -7713 using Office365 Access Build 1701. Our Build 1609 users are not getting it at all. In addition, Build 1706 users are also getting the error.

Our application has a large number of linked SQL Server 2014 tables.

• Anonymous commented  · 

I have been getting the error over the last couple of weeks.

Users with the Office Update of 1701( Build 7766.2092 ) are getting this issue.

People with version 16.0.6741.2071 are not getting this error.

• christian glanznerchristian glanzner commented  · 

I receive (since december 2016) the -7713 error in Access 2016 when Subforms have more records as could displayed. When I delimit the recordsource of the subforms (select top 2 ..) the error doesn't occur. All Tables are ODBC-Tables from MS SQL Server.

• Aaron EbyAaron Eby commented  · 

I receive this error in Access 2016 when linking tables from two different ODBC sources where the table name is the same in both sources.

Contact me if need be.

We have been getting the error -7713 using Office365 Access Build 1701. Our Build 1609 users are not getting it at all. In addition, Build 1706 users are also getting the error.

Some of our users get the error, then Access simply hangs until killed with task manager.

Please hurry and release a hot fix for this problem!

You may contact me.

• Sai Krishna PSai Krishna P commented  · 

Last few weeks, we have worked with Microsoft and could successfully reproduce the "-7713 reserved error" on their side. A proposal for hot fix is being made. Hope this will be resolved soon.

Thanks!

• M JohnsonM Johnson commented  · 

Yup...us too...really tired of having to beta-test programs that are beyond the beta testing period. First it was the OutputTo bug, now this error. My company uses MS Access as our GUI, and these tools have worked for YEARS. And now we "upgrade" to 2016 because 2007 is no longer supported, and our users think that my department is the problem, not Microsoft's buggy program.

FIND SOME ANSWERS AND GET STUFF WORKING BEFORE YOU RELEASE IT TO THE GENERAL PUBLIC!!!

• Bud StaniekBud Staniek commented  · 

Our company has a single Access user, so far, who has experienced the 7713 error. She runs MSO 16.0.7726.1042, 32 bit on a 32 bit Win 7 system, and is one of our few Office 2016 users. None of our hundreds of Office 2013 users have reported issues.

Here is what we know so far:
        1) I cannot duplicate the error on my machine (Office 2013, Win 7). The program runs fine.
        2) I remoted in to her system and ran the program in debug mode. Results:
        - The error will not occur if the Injury form is opened in debug/break mode.The program runs normally. So I could not identify a line of code where the error occurs.
        - The error will also not cause program execution to break even when Error Trapping is set to Break on All Errors.

Based on a Google search, I thought the problem could be an Office version issue. Lots of posts about this error associated with Office 2016. So I tested the theory on one other system which also runs Office 2016. The Access program, with same Office build, ran fine on that machine. But there were these differences in the O/S's:
        - Problem system: Windows 7 Pro, 32 bit
        - No problem system: Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit

Please devote some resources to fixing this. We are on Office 365 and champing at the bit to upgrade to Office 2016 all around. But until we can fix this problem with this Access program we cannot do it.

• Jason RJason R commented  · 

We are experiencing the same issue. Version 1701, Version 1705 with ODBC driver 11, ODBC 13, OCBC 13.1
        All tests point that going back to 1609 is working and with the exact same code. Please contact me for more info and/or a fix. Adding to this Access VBA Forms Office 2016 Click-to-run #Name #Error to get some more visibility.
        Article on how to revert back - I guess the entire user base has to go back to 1609 until a fix is in place - https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/help/2770432/how-to-revert-to-an-earlier-version-of-office-2013-or-office-2016-clic

We have been getting the error -7713 using Office365 Access Build 1701. Our Build 1609 users are not getting it at all.

You may contact me.

• Sai Krishna PSai Krishna P commented  · 

We had our application in Access 2010. Recently migrated it to Access 2016. Using any Access 2016 version above 1609,
        i) We are seeing the -7713 reserved error issue. The application works fine with 1609.
        ii) We also have report functionality to generate PDF report which has got broken in Access 2016.Whenever user tries to generate a report submitting parameters through pass thru query, application shuts down completely.

I see many similar concerns with issue i), did any one notice issue ii) ?

Any thought(s) or workaround(s) is/are appreciated!

• Keith BlackmanKeith Blackman commented  · 

Using Access 2016 Version 1705, SQL Server 2016, SQL Native Client 11.0 via ODBC and Windows Authentication I see the error. Access is also very slow drawing the screen in Design View. Switching to SQL Server Authentication I do not get the error and screen drawing is faster.
        You may contact me.

• Garrett MoffittGarrett Moffitt commented  · 

I am also seeing a 7713 error. The user is running Office Version 1701 Build 7766.2092

Any word on a fix?

It is OK to contact me.

• Mark JaskulaMark Jaskula commented  · 

Microsoft, Can we please have an update on this issue, it's been under investigation for 2 months, for some of us, this bug is killing us.

Where are we at, and when can we expect a fix!

• Aleks RAleks R commented  · 

My experience matches others'. We have many clients who have experienced the -7713 error in their Access 2016 systems (SQL back-end). Every case (so far) where it's a regular Access 2016, the problems stop as soon as the client uninstalls KB3115501. For Office 365, all of the clients still on the deferred updates Version 1609 are working without issue. Those Office 365 Users not on deferred updates, who are working on systems with all updates installed, have the problems. (I'm running Version 1704 myself, and run into the errors constantly.)

I wish I could say that the problems happen specifically when you do X. But I cannot pin it down. We have modified our code to use as few bound objects as possible, and that has lessened the number of errors for some, but not all, of our clients.

These -7713 errors are not just a nuisance. They are rendering our product unusable for a number of our clients. Those clients are going to be looking to our competitors soon.

I've noticed that Office 365 build 1704 is a lot more stable for MS Access for those of you with issues with ODBC issues, but still not without issues.

Haven't seen -7713 error yet, but I've still seen some ODBC errors. In once instance, a known problem area of the database, I could add a record where previously I couldn't, but I couldn't then subsequently edit the record, even when I went to the table to try to edit, the record was locked when it shouldn't have been. That should be a clue for Microsoft, but having said that I tried it again without issue so results will vary.

The code I used to open the DAO recordset in the above was
        CurrentDb.OpenRecordset(queryString, dbOpenDynaset, dbSeeChanges)
        The issue only arises when writing a record, perhaps there are other DAO flags that might further mitigate the issue, but upgrading to 1704, so far, is worthwhile if you have issues, otherwise, stick with 1609 which might be ok (which I couldn't because of Microsoft's didn't allow Access back into the Business 365 package until about build 1701. Potentially could have avoided this whole issue if Microsoft didn't greedy in forcing 365 users onto E3 for MS Access before the backlash forced them to back down). The consequences of bad decisions.

@BigFoppa Unfortunately we're on Office 365, but thanks for trying.

@Craig Atkins, our setup is also now Access 2016. We used to be on Access 2007 32bit and that was stable, then we went to Office 365 and Access 2016 64bit (perhaps it might have something to do with 64 versus 32bit?), for a while it was fine and stable until this.

• Craig AtkinsCraig Atkins commented  · 

Hi, we have this issue with a client. Running the DB in Access 2013 is perfect. Running it in Access 2016 throws these errors all over the place. Feel free to contact me directly as we can arrange a time for remote access to the system to demo.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base