I suggest you ...

Bug: (-7713) Reserved Error

Happing a lot in Office build 1611 for no apparent reason, completely stable in build 1609

20 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Mark JaskulaMark Jaskula shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →
    Under Review  ·  Access TeamAdminAccess Team (Admin, Microsoft) responded  · 

We are looking into this issue but may need more information from supporters.
    Please reply with a comment to indicate that it is okay for us to contact you directly regarding this issue.

Thanks,
    Michal [MSFT]

26 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Keith BlackmanKeith Blackman commented  · 

Using Access 2016 Version 1705, SQL Server 2016, SQL Native Client 11.0 via ODBC and Windows Authentication I see the error. Access is also very slow drawing the screen in Design View. Switching to SQL Server Authentication I do not get the error and screen drawing is faster.
        You may contact me.

• Garrett MoffittGarrett Moffitt commented  · 

I am also seeing a 7713 error. The user is running Office Version 1701 Build 7766.2092

Any word on a fix?

It is OK to contact me.

• Mark JaskulaMark Jaskula commented  · 

Microsoft, Can we please have an update on this issue, it's been under investigation for 2 months, for some of us, this bug is killing us.

Where are we at, and when can we expect a fix!

• Aleks RAleks R commented  · 

My experience matches others'. We have many clients who have experienced the -7713 error in their Access 2016 systems (SQL back-end). Every case (so far) where it's a regular Access 2016, the problems stop as soon as the client uninstalls KB3115501. For Office 365, all of the clients still on the deferred updates Version 1609 are working without issue. Those Office 365 Users not on deferred updates, who are working on systems with all updates installed, have the problems. (I'm running Version 1704 myself, and run into the errors constantly.)

I wish I could say that the problems happen specifically when you do X. But I cannot pin it down. We have modified our code to use as few bound objects as possible, and that has lessened the number of errors for some, but not all, of our clients.

These -7713 errors are not just a nuisance. They are rendering our product unusable for a number of our clients. Those clients are going to be looking to our competitors soon.

I've noticed that Office 365 build 1704 is a lot more stable for MS Access for those of you with issues with ODBC issues, but still not without issues.

Haven't seen -7713 error yet, but I've still seen some ODBC errors. In once instance, a known problem area of the database, I could add a record where previously I couldn't, but I couldn't then subsequently edit the record, even when I went to the table to try to edit, the record was locked when it shouldn't have been. That should be a clue for Microsoft, but having said that I tried it again without issue so results will vary.

The code I used to open the DAO recordset in the above was
        CurrentDb.OpenRecordset(queryString, dbOpenDynaset, dbSeeChanges)
        The issue only arises when writing a record, perhaps there are other DAO flags that might further mitigate the issue, but upgrading to 1704, so far, is worthwhile if you have issues, otherwise, stick with 1609 which might be ok (which I couldn't because of Microsoft's didn't allow Access back into the Business 365 package until about build 1701. Potentially could have avoided this whole issue if Microsoft didn't greedy in forcing 365 users onto E3 for MS Access before the backlash forced them to back down). The consequences of bad decisions.

@BigFoppa Unfortunately we're on Office 365, but thanks for trying.

@Craig Atkins, our setup is also now Access 2016. We used to be on Access 2007 32bit and that was stable, then we went to Office 365 and Access 2016 64bit (perhaps it might have something to do with 64 versus 32bit?), for a while it was fine and stable until this.

• Craig AtkinsCraig Atkins commented  · 

Hi, we have this issue with a client. Running the DB in Access 2013 is perfect. Running it in Access 2016 throws these errors all over the place. Feel free to contact me directly as we can arrange a time for remote access to the system to demo.

• BigFoppaBigFoppa commented  · 

@Mark Jaskula, have you tried to uninstall the Windows Update KB3115501. Did that help you? It did the trick for us, no more ODBC errors.

But if you're on Office 365 then this is not possible for you.

I noticed a sharp increase in the instability of MS Access in the last week or two, not sure if it's related to this error specifically, but general ODBC errors again (unable to insert record in table x...) that fail to add or edit simple records (using ODBC 13.1 connector to a fully patched MS SQL 2016 server on a fully patched MS Server 2016 from from fully patched Windows 10 clients). I have at least two areas affected (one of them on adding a simple contact). This was working fine previously and their have been no code updates, and the workarounds (which I'm still working on) seemingly have no rhyme or reason to them, like simply rearranging the code can fix the problem, or removing a sub-form which is totally unrelated fixed an issue in another instance.

This is now becoming a massive bug bear to deal with, and I'm offloading more and more processing to a backend .Net project I'm integrated into the MS SQL Server as a means out of this. MS Access is fast going backwards in stability in the last few months for me, and it's been a big time waster. Please review and fix these issues asap, for many of us, this is our CRM, and a CRM that doesn't work is a recipe for your boss to come banging loudly on your office door.

• JTJT commented  · 

For whatever reason I am having trouble posting a comment here.

Uninstalling the update referenced below fixed the issue for me. Office 2016 on Windows 7 Pro.

I am now able to establish multiple odbc connections (pass-through queries) to the same database simultaneously, as I was able to do so before the update came around.

• ArturoArturo commented  · 

In my opinion it is sort of a Time-out, I just decreased ODBC refresh interval and increased ole/dde time out but I don't know if it will work.

You may contact me regarding this error. It still occurs but I've learnt to mitigate it.

• BigFoppaBigFoppa commented  · 

SOLVED, well at least I got it to work. But MS still has some figuring out to do...

My solution: Uninstall the update for Office 2016 with number KB3115501.
        And stop Windows Update from updating Microsoft products. At least until MS states they got this under control.

If your using Office 365 then this is of no help for you.

//Big

• Tom BurnsTom Burns commented  · 

Michael

Has there been any progress on this issue?

Thanks

• Anonymous commented  · 

We have an Access 2016 front end that users are running on a mix of Windows 7 and 10. In early April we re-configured the database to point at SQL tables instead of an Access back end. Everything was fine for a couple of weeks. Now users are getting this -7713 error.

• Anonymous commented  · 

I configured my ODBC (5.1) connection to use in my Access 2016 front-end (Windows 10) with the following flags:
        1. Return matched rows instead of affected rows
        2. Allow big results sets
        3. Enable automatic reconnect
        4. Don't cache results of forward-only cursors
        5. Force use of forward-only cursors

I am convinced that (-7713) reserved error has something to do with the flags set in the ODBC connection.

I wish somebody can point me to a good article that can explain to me what flags to use in my ODBC connection to have an optimum connection to my Access 2016 front-end when I append big tables in Access to linked tables in MySQL

• Anonymous commented  · 

Anonymous is WvdMerwe. I enter before filling in my name.

• Anonymous commented  · 

I get this (-7713) Reserved Error out of the blue (Using Windows 10 and Access 2016) when opening a MySQL linked table in Access that have data in it. With no data in the table, I can open the table in Access without the error. I used the ODBC 5.1.6 driver and tried to relink with an ODBC 5.3 driver, but get the same error

• Chris MumfordChris Mumford commented  · 

A few days ago I linked an Access application to two SQLite tables. After doing so, I have experienced multiple crashes of application and/or received the '-7713' error.

You may contact me.

Office 365 MS Access 2016 MSO (16.0.7830.1018) 32-bit.

• wilowilo commented  · 

you can contact me fot this issue

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base