I suggest you ...

data connector sql server

ADD SQL SERVER AS A DATA CONNECTOR - The Access team is currently evaluating the use of data connectors in Access, (https://youtu.be/j5UAv4yY5RY?t=2155), and we need your support to get them to include SQL Server as an option! PLEASE VOTE for this idea, every vote counts!

533 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Juan Soto shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

44 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Juan Soto commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There has been a great new development in the area of Access and SQL Server, first, Mauricio Ordóñez has expressed that ODBC is the preferred medium to connect with SQL Server, as expressed during his presentation at the Spain Microsoft Access User's group meeting, (video here in Spanish: https://youtu.be/PxX2aJuPc4s).

Second, OLE DB has been UNDPRECATED, as announced here: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/sqlnativeclient/2017/10/06/announcing-the-new-release-of-ole-db-driver-for-sql-server/

The news is awesome for the Access community for all the reasons explained in my blog post here: https://accessexperts.com/blog/2017/10/16/ole-db-undeprecated-long-live-ado/

• Bodo Greiner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Bring this! Especially a possibility would be useful to edit data in subforms or in lists (without SQL Server locking data at the same time). I know more than one Project where I would immediately start working with this and prevent the Company to go to a SAP solution ...

• ByterBIt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Restore the ADP capacity. If I walked into a client and removed functionality from their production code I would lose a customer– as MS is losing good will and developers here - and has been for years. This is analogous to the trashing of the desktop in Win8; senseless counterproductive cosmetic changes – as was the removal of the database window from Access 2003. What kind of firm cripples its products? MS: do you ever try to USE the tools you create? Does anyone at MS care about users getting work done?
        MS employees: this is a fight you can win now. As Win 8 is out, replaced by the more functional Win10, so you can succeed at MS by restoring a productive sensibility to Access. Let us eliminate the ribbon, and restore the DB Window and ADP. Access 2003 was designed prior to MS running off the rails; its form was dictated by functionality, not some bizarre marketing idea; use that as your template; it’s still the best Access.

• Frank Rotolo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you want to use ADP again, use Access 2010. Microsoft has no intentions of bringing ADP back in newer versions.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are in end of July
        Four month and no single comment from microsoft
        This tells you how serious they are listening to customers
        This is by far the top voted item and they are ignoring it
        Don't you guys get it
        This product has zero segnifcant updates for 10 years
        They have no intention of doing nothing
        They are fony

• Rene Hug commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Bring back ADP or something that allows me to use Access as front-end as easy as with ADP! The majority of solutions I have to provide to business are internal and never ever will be put into a cloud. Ease of build is much more important for me than using the whole technology stack of a Web Application!

• Peadda commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Got the feeling, MS-Access-policy has now a wrong direction: please maximize Access, not minimize it. Otherwise it's getting too foggy in the clouds.

I'll add my thought to this message black hole that no one at MS will ever read. It was irresponsible to remove ADP functionality with out a viable replacement that had equivalent functionality and ease of use.

• Daniel chen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The sad part is, we do not see any comments from Microsoft
        now that the "Access web application" is officially dead the objection to this type of connection is gone

Microsoft must do the following
        1. bring back the ADP functionality - the sql connections parts - Should be there, it is just disabled!!!
        2. the next thing to focus on is - convert access to vb.net and give us functionality like the new windows forms, IE XAML and disconnected adodb.net

to simply put it - bring back ADP!!!!
        1. single connection that expose entire schema
        2. "Server Filters" - reduce network traffic by a factor of a 1000
        3. all SQL objects are available for consumption by forms and reports
        4. scalability is close to unlimited
        5. use of stored procedures is a snap
        6. slap few new components like VS
        we can do all the rest and you get your glory that you lost with the crippled access web App

• PJ Bryant commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've just had to start an ADP to Access 2016 project. It hurts. This is bleeding obvious it's astonishing Microsoft removed it, let alone have to ask if we want it back. Easily leveraging the backend power is just necessary.

• Moshe Arzt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

with these data connectors, how to link to tables/objects with more than 255 columns?
        I had a problem with this while using a commercially available ODBC driver to link to Salesforce tables. A few tables/objects had over 255 fields, and the Access link simply truncated at the 256th field.

• Detlef Traum commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with all other posts: Since adp is gone, i work only with ACC 2010 because i would have to invest thousands of hours to bring my application (Developement since 2003) to ACCDB. So much time... incredible costs for what? One step back in performance and function? Please do something equivalent to ADP

• Sigurd Aas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Juan: "Please provide a great example of how you used SQL Server with Access":

My Company uses Access as frontend for SQL server in a ERP type solution.
        Among many things, we support truck tablets With our software running on Access clients connecting over wifi. SQL server is a must when supporting difficult environments like wifi connections.

If this request eliminates some of the DAO/ADO (e.g. make DAO support disconnected recordsets, upload BLOB data, etc), it would be very useful

• Bernd Rudolf commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

ohne ADP wäre ich nicht mehr arbeitsfähig.
        Deshalb bleiben wir aktuell so lange auf Access 2010 bis es irgendwas vergleichbares gibt.

• Cesar Gonzalez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

SQL's powerful and speedy back end, with Access's flexible front end UI, has allowed us to make continual and rapid deployments to our application to audit our always changing client data.

• Matthias R. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wir arbeiten mit vielen Access-Frontends auf dem SQL-Server - bis zur Umstellung auf Office 2016 oft mit ADP-Dateien. Es wäre toll, wenn ein direkter Data-Connector vorhanden wäre.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base