I suggest you ...

Allow CTRL+A to select all text in a query's SQL View

Pressing CTRL+A should select all text in a query's SQL View. It does not work in Access 2013.

My current work-around is an AutoHotkey script.

14 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Ben Sacheri shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Done!  ·  AdminAccess Team (Admin, Microsoft) responded  · 

This is fixed in version 1707 (so in Current Channel, and Semi-Annual Channel (Targeted) now, and will be in Semi-Annual Channel in January 2018).

Note that this only covers being able to use Ctrl+A in query SQL view, so if you have specific requests for other improvements please open a new item.

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Grover Park George commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Enhancements to the SQL editor are a long-standing request. I have no more votes to use here, but it would be nice to have a better SQL editor.

• Ben Sacheri commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Here is my AutoHotkey script in case you do not want to wait for an official fix. You need to create your own Access_SQL_View.png image file and store it in the same folder as the script. The image needs to include the small "SQL" text that is shown at the bottom of the Access window when a SQL View is active. I was skeptical that the image search would always work but I've not had any issues and it is fast.

#IfWinActive ahk_class OMain ; Access

^Tab:: Send ^{F6} ; CTRL+F6
        +^Tab:: Send +^{F6} ; SHIFT+CTRL+F6

~^A:: ; CTRL+A
        ; Allow CTRL+A to select the entire SQL statement when SQL view is active.
        ; This was tricky because there is no easy way to tell if SQL view is active.
        ; I am using an ImageSearch for an icon in the lower right corner of the status bar
        ; This will not work if the status bar is not visible on the screen.
        ; I could have used and image search in the ribbon but there are too many
        ; combinations of what might be visible.
        ; My original script was simplified to always SendInput when CTRL+A was pressed
        ; but that was interfering when Datasheet view was active.
        CoordMode Pixel, Relative ; Coordinates are relative to the active window.
        ImageSearch, FoundX, FoundY, 0,0, 2000, 1300, *2 Access_SQL_View.png ;this is the location and filename of the image you're looking for
        If ErrorLevel=0 ; Image found
        {
        SendInput ^{Home}+^{End} ; Select All - Useful in SQL View
        ;SoundBeep 435, 150
        Return
        }
        else {
        ; Do nothing. The tilde allows the default handler for this key to work.
        Return
        }
        #IfWinActive

Feedback and Knowledge Base