Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

Change Link Path Without DB

It would be great to be able to Change the Path of existing Linked Tables to another path even if we don't have that path. This would greatly simplify deploying to client networks. We could deliver the database all ready and configured.

10 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Dolly shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Dolly commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 to Joe's explanation. This has been brought up before and shot down.

• Joe Anderson (Access MVP, aka DatabaseMX) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Guessing ... not specific to Runtime.

On your development system, you are linked to a back end Path say in C:<SomeFolderPath>

On your client's system ... the (server for example) Path is \\<SomeWorkGroup>\<SomeFolderPath>\

Currently with the LTM or otherwise, you cannot link to backend/tables in a non-existent path. So, when deployed at a client's site ... some sort of relinking code or manual relinking code is required.
        (most all developers have some sort of auto relinking code)

With this suggestion, prior to deployment at a client's site ...you would be able to link to a non-existent folder path, such that when the front end is deployed at the client site, no relinking is necessary and the app is plug n play.
        I think that is the idea of the suggestion.
        I'm sure there are numerous ways this could be implemented. And overall ... it fits into the need to seriously revamp the Linked Table Manager in general.

Feedback and Knowledge Base