Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

Please fix the problem with embedded ole objects in Access Forms and Reports with Windows 10 ver 1703

I recently updated my computer to Windows 10 version 1703 and since then embedded objects in Access forms and reports do not display properly (cannot be seen). When Windows is downgraded to its previous version the problem disappears. The problem occurs with Access 2010, Access 2013 and Access 2016 (all 64bit).

To demonstrate the problem do the following:

1) Create a blank Access Desktop Database (Database.accdb).

2) Create a new table (Table1) within the database.

3) Add an AutoNumber field (ID) to Table1

4) Add an OLE Object Field (Document) to Table1.

5) Create a blank form (Form1) within the database and set the Record Source for the form to Table1.

6) Add a Text Box control (ID) to Form1 and set the control's Control Source property to ID.

7) Add a Bound Object Frame (Document) to Form1 and set the control's Control Source property to Document.

8) Open Form1 and add ole objects to Table1 by right-clicking on the Document field and selecting Insert Object.

When a Word or Excel object is added it appears in the Document Frame and additional records can be added using the Record Selectors and Navigation Buttons.

When using the Record Selectors and Navigation Buttons in Form1 to move through all the records in Table1, the embedded objects associated with each record should appear in the Bound Object Frame control (Document). Once Office 10 version 1703 has been installed this no longer happens. The same error occurs for both Excel and Word objects.

29 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Done!  · 

13 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • David Smithstein commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We've noticed this fix needs to be added to the 2016 runtime version as well, or at least the recent version being tested requires this fix. Our main corporate product relies on this feature for a major aspect of the software's role and this will prevent us from upgrading until resolved.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to ask whether it is planned to fix this problem in the future ? All OLE objects are affected by this bug, not only Access 365 type.

• Iain Laird commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can I ask other users: have you encountered this problem with ALL the same bound object frames in a form (or report) or only in those records created after a certain date in the same form (so that earlier records made in earlier versions of Access show OK in the form whilst later records made in Access 365 do not show in the same form). That is my problem and the RegKey solution mentioned does not help at all. I ask also if the problem is unique to Access in Office 365 or has it also been found in stand alone Access 2016?

why is it that when you apply this fix it work. But when windows applies updates, I have to re-apply the fix again? Is Microsoft doing anything to get a permanent fix for this?

• Roman Hribar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have same problem, and Registry fix doesn't solve it for me. Is there another way to fix this?

This Worked for me.

Go to the registry key:
        HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager
        And add a new multi-string value called OlePictureFormatPreferenceList, and then set the value to:
        METAFILEPICT
        ENHMETAFILE
        DIB
        BITMAP

MS post August 28: resetting reg key has not worked for me. Still all data created in Office Access 2010 bound object frames shows but none created in Office 365 after that date so printing is a nightmare. Have any others found setting the reg key has worked for them?

• Ian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

confirmed issue going right back to access 2003 from Win10. Interestingly if you insert the OLE object as a link forms and reports will display the object as expected, though I am yet to workout how to make that the default option for drag and drop into table.

Forms/Reports in a program built in Office 10 Win 8 (and older) now using Office/Access 365/64 bit/win10/1703 show Word documents in Bound Object Frames in records created before 6 July 2017 (some added after Windows 10 installed). But none show in records created since unless also open in Word. Could this be something to do with recent first major update of Win 10 which I received at about that time?

• Jürgen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same issue occurs with printing or viewing embedding msgraph objects in vfp since version 1703

• david commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same issue occurs with embedding word and excel objects into CAD drawings since version 1703

Feedback and Knowledge Base