Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

Provide a default setting to open db exclusive

Many new developers quickly design a db and stick it on the network for all to use. Having multiple users all using the same front end (with or without the backend split out) ends up with corruption at some point.

Is it possible to have a setting so the db is opened exclusively as a default so subsequent users cannot open the front end at best, or at least open it read only (aka excel) and all code disabled.

There could be an 'allow multi user' tickbox in options (default false) which the user can set - with suitable warnings for sharing the front end if this option is selected. Developer would set the backend to true and the front end to false. If they set the front end to true, at least they have been warned.

1 vote
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
CJ shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dolly, in a perfect world I would agree...but the reality is that people will not use something if it is difficult. It confounds me everyday how many people will avoid Access like the plague and turn to Excel for their data management because it is "easy". I think CJ's suggestion actually has merit,

• CJ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for the response. I would argue that there are a lot of people out there who don't know what they are doing and don't even know to ask. They end up with a corrupted database and Access gets another tick in the 'easily corrupts' reputation box.

We get prompts now when a developer uses a reserved word as a field name, so there is a precedent for providing a warning.

• Dolly commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Their is already a client setting and a command line switch. At the end of the day this is an implementation issue. It is up to people to have people that know what they are doing developing and setting up databases. There is only so much MS can do.

Feedback and Knowledge Base