Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

Add PowerQuery to ACCESS

PowerQuery is the best improvement for collecting data for Excel since many years. I would love to use it in Access too, without using Excel.
I would like to extract data from SAP, WEB, CSV-Files, collect all files from a folder, de-pivot files... Any ETL job PowerQuery supplies für Excel, but directly in Access!
(I posted this two years ago using other words)

645 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Peter Rühm shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    No Current Plan  ·  AdminAccess Team (Admin, Microsoft) responded  · 

PowerQuery is a great Excel feature which allows users to discover, combine and refine data across a wide variety of sources.
    Access allows users to connect to a wide array of external data sources in a way that is unique to Access users and scenarios.
    When we think of data management solutions across Office, we think of Excel and Access as somewhat complementary products, but not competing.
    With that, duplicating capabilities from one product to another is not supportive of this perspective.
    We are looking at further enhancing and improving Access’s abilities to connect to external data sources, but not in the form of integrating PowerQuery.

52 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Colin Riddington commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Whilst I'm grateful that MS have finally responded this is completely missing the point.

There are many features that both Access and Excel have now e.g. charting, importing xml and of course vba. Access used to have pivot charts which were removed several years ago. Their removal certainly didn't help Access users. Adding Power Query to Access would not be unnecessary duplication as the 2 programs are not interchangeable. 685 votes is a clear indication that a lot of users would find this feature useful. Certainly far more useful than some of the recent improvements to Access that relatively few had asked for. If this user voice forum means anything, MS would act on features that are requested repeatedly.
        Still I will thank you for leaving a gap in the market for which I have an app for sale - JSON Analyse and Transform for Access (JATFA). Blatant plug!

• Karl Donaubauer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For many years Access was marketed as "Landing platform for data". Today it is far behind concerning modern data sources. It is nice but doesn't give the product a boost to bring back old dbase support or to add a few new data sources _exclusively_ for the 2-3 more expensive O365 plans. Don't tinker, think big! ;-)
        The complete Access product family, i.e. all users, needs a broad range of interfaces to modern data sources. It is PowerQuery that does this job (+ many useful transformations) for even older Excel but also for modern PowerBI etc.
        Therefore Microsoft should do an in-depth consideration and discussion to integrate PQ with Access, catch up a 15 years in data source integration and add a feature set that really has an impact to our practical work and is noticed by millions of Access users.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base