I suggest you ...

Bring Access to the year 2017

OK, enough of COM controls and VBA programming. The controls need a complete overhaul that look like and act like year 2017 controls not 1981 controls. We need more controls that you would find in .net interface. The chart control, datashets and almost all other controls need to be moved out of the COM world. Creating a dashboard in near impossible with the current controls and layout handling.

Also VBA is ok but very limited compared to .net. Both are your products why not integrate them.

We need a true grid control, better comboboxs, true PDF support, better and attractive chart controls, true drag and drop, ability to control ODBC field types (most the time they are the cast to the wrong type) and again attractive controls that users demand.

Access is a great piece of software but it so badly need a update to bring it back to life. Look at DevExpress controls, wow, we love them for .net but Access takes so much of the hassles out of database programming that it would be our first choice.

17 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Michael McCon shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Ken Ismert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed, but this suggestion is essentially a complete rewrite of the program (excluding the ACE data engine). While a worthwhile idea, what you are talking about is more of a replacement of Access, not a new feature.

• Davide commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Well, I'm not convinced that VBA is "very limited"...
        I think you have to ask yourself: "have I really a deep comprehension of VBA?"

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes I fully agree.
        I just use Access for my own hobby type databases.
        So a good re-vamp is long overdue.
        We are still waiting for the ability to resize windows without having to be a brain surgeon. They say they have done it or its on the list but it has not been done

Feedback and Knowledge Base