Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

Make 32-bit Access large address aware (LAA)

Now that the 32-bit version of Outlook 2016 becomes large address aware (see https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Large-Address-Aware-in-Outlook-2016-ea0913e4-2917-4456-b0ea-935dbd57ef02), it would be great to get that for MS Access as well.

(We hit the 2GB barrier every now and then when batch-exporting MS Access reports as PDF. Having 4GB support would be great. Upgrading to Office 64-bit is usually not an option in corporate environments depending on third-party add-ins.)

39 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Heinrich Moser shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Philipp Stiefel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Access Applications that show multiple forms, each containing several subforms, side by side run into out-of-memory-errors very quickly. This is a completely reproducible issue. Currently the only mitigation is to limit the number of open forms. To reliably prevent the issue a max limit of no more than 5(!) forms may be required.

• Stephan Kraft commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Some complex MS Access Applications don´t run with Access 2019, because there is not enough free virtual memory.

The only way is to transform the 32 bit version into 64 bit.

A lot of work for nothing.

• B. Clothier commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When you consider that there are Access applications that has worked in previous versions, and the only difference is that they upgraded to a new version of Access, it becomes a HUGE disincentive for them to consider upgrading the application, which is also bad in terms of supporting because that broadens the scope of support. If you want them to upgrade, you need to be able to provide same experience they had with the previous versions -- not running out of memory just because they only have 20 forms open. Access has long ago published a specification of hard limits and that has not been changed since. Enabling the LAA would be a simple way to enable those complex application continue to run well on newer versions of Access.

• Karl Donaubauer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've often read it as a problem in forums and e-mails I get from desperate Access users and developers. Access and its objects (especially forms) need more virtual memory with almost every version. A lot of existing, working applications with complex forms etc. break because of this increase when people try to use them in newer versions. So far there's no real solution for the problem. This could do the trick for many people.

• Juan Soto commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I endorse this idea whole heartedly! Excel has joined Outlook as mentioned here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3160741/large-address-aware-capability-change-for-excel

My clients are constantly getting error messages with complex Access applications that require code to minimize the memory footprint. If you agree, please vote for this improvement AND LEAVE a comment for the Access team explaining WHY this is needed.

Feedback and Knowledge Base