Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

Document the LoadFromText and SaveAsText methods

There are two undocumented methods, SaveAsText and LoadFromText, which were originally used for the old SCC integration. Since Access 2013, the source code integration has been removed and we now rely on third party tools (e.g. OASIS-SVN or Ivercy being example). It is my understanding those still rely on the undocumented methods. This request is to ask that Access team document those methods and thus make it supported so that those tools can continue to count on it being available and provide a solution for source code without taking any resources from Microsoft.

23 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    B. Clothier shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Philipp commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Nick76: SaveAsText/LoadFromText usually do work across different versions. Old Access versions (pre 2007) used to be picky about the Version and Checksum properties in the file.
        In general, low version to higher version should work, high version to lower version might fail due to new features used in the object that are not supported in the earlier version.
        If your problems persist, I suggest you post to any QA-Forum to get this sorted. This is not the place for support discussions.

• B. Clothier commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Nothing's truly free, but when you consider that the methods was introduced in order to support the original SCC integration, it's probably good to ensure that they are aware that removing the methods would do more harm more than good.

• Mark Burns commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

But Ben, then they'd have to fully debug, and TEST those methods too!
        ...and then listen to the "feature requests" to be made about them (looks at Nick67's post) Oh, oops too late...

• Nick67 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

And...
        I have discovered to my sorrow that you can only LoadFromText to the same version of Access as was used for the SaveAsText. ie, export everything from an Access 2003 mdb and you cannot pull it into an Access 2013 accdb. This is bad. Are not Access objects Access objects, period. Apparently not.
        Furthermore...
        When doing a SaveAsText / LoadAsText operation to clear any cruft from the file, all the objects get the date you did that operation as the 'creation date' Such operations should preserve the ACTUAL creation date of the object.

There are just days when you really have to have this functionality. Quit hiding it. If files NEVER became corrupt, it'd fine, but they can and do go south occasionally.

• Philipp commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Your understanding of OASIS-SVN and Ivercy using these methods is correct. (I'm the owner of Ivercy)

Feedback and Knowledge Base