Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

MS Access

I would like to have a cloud version of MS Access and really need it for my business could you please indicate a timeframe ?

21 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1 comment

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Grover Park George commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Unfortunately, "cloud version" is somewhat of a nebulous concept. <pun intended>

If you mean a version of Access that runs in a BROWSER, that's one possible interpretation. If you mean enabling Access to USE data hosted "in the cloud", that's quite another.

BOTH of the previous attempts to "webify" Access -- Access Web Databases in Access 2010 -- and Access Web Apps in Access 2013 -- failed to catch on with the general public. Both were deprecated within the Office 365 environment. I doubt we'll see any attempt in the near future to go down that path again.

If you mean enabling Access to link to "data in the cloud", that's possible TODAY. You can easily migrate your Access tables to a remote SQL Server, e.g. SQL Azure or Amazon's equivalent Web Service or any of a number of other remotely hosted SQL Server/MySQL, etc. sources. That scenario has been available for many years and is pretty well understood.

There are a couple of other ways to get there from here. For example, you can find a hosting company that will put your Access Web Apps on their on-premises SharePoint Servers. I know of at least two that do this. You could also consider a .net alternative. And finally, you could consider PowerApps, Microsoft's own product offering for mobile apps.

In other words, it's probably more productive to move on to other alternatives if this is really a high priority within your business. Given the history of the last 8 years, we're not going to see movement on a "cloud version" of Access again, at least not in any recognizable way.

George Hepworth

Feedback and Knowledge Base