Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

Major bug in all versions of Access: handling of ESCAPE key

n all versions of Access that I am aware of, going back at least to Access 2000, the escape key cancels queries (whether select, update, append, etc.), and recordset operations (running in VBA).

On the surface this may be fine, but there is a major bug in the implementation: Access "listens" for the escape key regardless of whether it has the focus or not.

So for example, if you have a long running append query and then open Excel, Word, Outlook, or even your browser (any software, presumably), and hit the Escape key to cancel an action in that other software, Access will "hear" it, and cancel your update query!

I've been able to reproduce this bug in Windows 7, 8.1, and 10, with Office 2013 and 2016. This has cost me and my clients hours of lost work. New clients now need to be taught to avoid hitting the escape button under any circumstances. It's a bug that needs fixing right away. This is unacceptable, and it's impossible to believe that Microsoft doesn't know this is going on.

Can we get this reported and given high priority?

29 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Aaron Brooks shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Aaron Brooks commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank you Michal.

Jason, I have observed and reproduced (just now) this error on both Execute and docmd.openquery calls. Also occurs when applying a filter programmatically (Me.FilterOn=true)

• Jason Cox commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Does this just effect one object model? That is does it only happen with DAO objects (database.execute) or does it happen with docmd.openquery too? What about the ADO object model?

• Anita commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yep, same here. Happens even if the application window isn't active. Costly and annoying.

Feedback and Knowledge Base