Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

Access Link Table Manager

In the Link Table Manager, when users chooses "Select All" it should relink all tables at once rather than hitting "ok" button to confirm if that table should be relink.

74 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1 comment

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Dan Moorehead — PowerAccess commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I absolutely agree.

And, thankfully, it seems like Microsoft may be taking action on this, though it's unclear what their priority is for it.

You can find the Microsoft Access team's response (on October 13 '18) to my earlier suggestion (from September) at:

👉 "New Linked Table Manager – Suggested Improvements, Fixes, and Relative Path Relinking" ( https://access.uservoice.com/forums/319956-access-desktop-application/suggestions/35524183-new-linked-table-manager-suggested-improvements )

Though voting is locked (seemingly due to Microsoft Access team having accepted those suggestions in part), it's unclear which of the many suggestions covered there Microsoft may be implementing or to what degree they may be prioritizing them in their backlog.

Therefore, IF you want to see this (and other major enhancements) to the Linked Table Manager prioritized, then:

👉 Please reply to the Access team with **COMMENTS**
        @ https://access.uservoice.com/forums/319956-access-desktop-application/suggestions/35524183-new-linked-table-manager-suggested-improvements

● voicing your support for this (as well as other suggested Linked Table Manager, auto-relinking and relative linked path enhancements and fixes) by describing:
        **WHY** you believe this should be a **PRIORITY** for the Access team and **WHICH** of the alternatives and separate suggestions I've outlined there you support:

Specifically, I had proposed there (as the preferred solution) adding:

New EDITABLE (and Sortable) Columns, including:

● Target Table Name
        (as Combobox – so can optionally select the corrected table name via drop-down)
        ● Local Table Name (if should differ)
        ● Data Source Filepath (or Connection String)
        ● Table Status + highlighting (indicating which, if any, tables need relinking)

That may actually **completely remove** the need for Edit vs. Relink buttons, checkboxes, prompts and dialogs in most or all cases.

I also proposed other much-needed features there, relating to:

● Automatic relinking based on relative paths
        ● Development vs. Production connections (improved support for alternative connections – a very common use case)

Like Access MVP Juan Soto had just pointed out yesterday (in a webinar from Michal Bar, Senior Program Manager for Microsoft Access):

It is **CRITICAL** that you reply with comments describing WHY you feel a suggestion should be a priority, if you want it prioritized by the Access development team (especially with the now 700+ feature requests they have to decide on and prioritize).

That was pointed out during one of the many excellent free Microsoft Access webinars available 2+ times per month
        @ https://AccessUserGroups.org
        – which I would suggest all Access users attend
        (as they cover the latest tips, tutorial walkthroughs, and new features in Microsoft Access, while also, like yesterday, providing an opportunity to ask questions of or make suggestions directly to the Access team or Access MVPs).

--

I appreciate your support (by voicing your comments in the linked to feature request) in helping the Access team to prioritize this and other enhancements to the new (incredible) Linked Table Manager in Access for Office 365!

Thanks,
        Dan

--

Dan Moorehead
        Founder, PowerAccess – All-in-One Toolset & Framework for Microsoft Access
        (and PowerExcel | PowerVBA for .NET | PowerGit | PowerAccess.NET | Visual3D | PowerSQL | PowerAccess2SQL)

👉Subscribe for Early Access to PowerAccess
        @ https://PowerAccess.net

Feedback and Knowledge Base