Feedback by UserVoice

Access (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Access Desktop feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.
We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. make set_spapprole work in a VBA context

SQL Server (see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/relational-databases/system-stored-procedures/sp-setapprole-transact-sql?view=sql-server-2017) has a great security feature to allow an app to assume a security role when connected to the server. This doesn't work from Access VBA. This leaves us having to give permissions to data that users can subvert. Whilst this can be mitigated, if Access could connect using a user account with no permissions, and switch to an app role with the right permissions security would be wonderful. SetAppRole is particular pleasant in that in the context we still know the original user who started the app.

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  External Data Connectivity  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. New Linked Table Manager - quick fix for Escape key

In the new Linked Table Manager, when I click the Relink/Add/Delete/Edit button a dialog is shown. If I press the Escape key, I expect that dialog to close, which it does, but the Linked Table Manager also closes. This behavior is annoying.

Please change these dialogs so pressing Escape only closes the top window.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  External Data Connectivity  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Develop a mobile version of Access so it can be installed on a lightweight android device.

Develop a version of access that can be run on a lightweight android device or an application that can be run from the cloud.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Access database in an inconsistent state...Windows 10 1803 update

Access database in an inconsistent state....since the release of Windows 10, 1803 our significant percentage of our 3500 customers have consistently lost connection to the back-end database and been forced to stop work during the day to repair their database. Only recently did we discover the leasing fix. In the meantime, our product reputation has been adversely affected. Please release a production update since many of the IT people have refused to make the lanmanserver registry entry and are waiting for the Windows update. HELLO MICROSOFT PLEASE HELP!!

61 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  External Data Connectivity  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. im bald

im balder than bald

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Base Access

Hello
    I use Access since its version1. Until today I have not found an equivalent in terms of reliability and speed in development. Since then many improvements have been made on various options, except to the engine of the base. What it lacks today is native access to SQL express server. This would help with a seamless, easy and efficient transition to standard SQL server.
    Thank you.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Allow load data from / link to Excel Table

Display Excel Table names in the Wizard when loading/linking external Excel data, currently only specific name range or the spreadsheet is visible.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. JSON import/export

Given the widespread use JSON as a data transport, we should have:

Application.ImportJSON
    Application.ExportJSON

like we have:

Application.ImportXML
    Application.ExportXML

There are a few libraries out there – replacing these with one or a few lines of code would be extremely useful.

98 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  External Data Connectivity  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. ONE DRIVE - Survey Creation and Data Collection

As One Drive is Cloud based, I'd like questionnaire templates that I can then customize for my interests / requirements using either MS Excel or MS Access. Then once created, I'd like to be able to 1) Invite Specific Respondents to fill in the questionnaire via a link; and 2) Post the Survey on a separate website with the data being saved in my specified One Drive Folder. It would be great if the templates or template forms came with easy-to-use or paste items for building the questionnaire such as contact info, date formats, text formats number formats, logic formats,…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. BUG - Linked Table Manager removes tables from custom groups in Navigation Pane

Case: user creates custom views in Navigation Pane and puts tables to custom groups for navigation convenience. If such table is a linked table, any relink with Link Table Manager now removes the table from custom group, putting it into a single heap of "Unassigned Objects". This makes navigation a pain. This was not a default behavior several updates ago. All tables stayed in their places. Please fix this bug.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Provide a MS-Access connector to PowerApps and Flow

We have a webservice on which we have a PowerApp connector that enables PowerApps to run any macro, vba procedure/function, opening of a form to fill in text-fields and/or perform the equivalent to buttonclick-events in an Access Application. If MS-Access out of the box could configure and enable a webservice on the machine it's running and thus would enable a PowerApp to be a cloudfirst/mobilefirst frontend presentation layer, MS-Access 2019 would really become something new. When the Access application has linked SQL-tables to SQL-2016 or up, it can easily delegate the creation of JSON to SQL-server, but I wouldn't be…

153 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  External Data Connectivity  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Fx ODBC issue where column name of 64 characters is 1 too many

When the Linked Table Manager sees a column name in a SQL Server table with 64 characters, it only uses the first 63 characters of that column name.

After linking, an attempt to view table data will fail, with the message

"ODBC--call failed"

"[Microsoft][ODBC Driver 17 for SQL Server][SQL Server]Invalid column name "'123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123'."

The column name in my table on SQL Server is:

"1234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234"

So Linked Table manager is truncating that for some reason.

There is a 64 character limit for object names.

I cannot find any documentation anywhere saying there is such a limit of 63 characters in ODBC…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  External Data Connectivity  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Fix new Settings Incompatibility Bug

I believe I have hit a new bug in ACCESS.
    This conflict shows up when a front end using standard Access SQL connects to a Back-end using SQL Server Syntax (ANSI92).
    It results in very strange behavior with Combo-Boxes failing to Auto-Complete and Wildcard Queries not returning results.
    Access 2010 is immune! Phew.

It is repeatable and can be reproduced by following the process:
    There appears to be a new bug in ACCESS 365 / Click to Run.
    It DOES NOT EXHIBIT on Access 2010, but I have not tested with 2013.

Issue: Combo Boxes (drop-downs) fail to Auto-Complete List…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Synchronize the field Notes of Outlook Contacts with Access

You can easily synchronize your Outlook Contacts with an Access Database, but there is one field that is not synchronized: the notes field.

I would like to have the notes synchronized with my database.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Data Connector For QuickBooks Online

We are currently developing and testing a dotnet interop app that allows an Access frontend to integrate with QBO via API calls, and was wondering if you would be interested creating a QBO data connector.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Enable Access to work with Azure Multi-Factor Authentication

There seems to be no way of allowing Access to link to an Azure SQL database where Azure Active Directory Multi-Factor Authentication has been enabled. This means that if an IT department switches on MFA Access can't connect to an Azure SQL database it can connect to where MFA has not been activated.

If I have missed something, please tell me!

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  External Data Connectivity  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. add ETL-features to ACCESS (retry of: Add PowerQuery to ACCESS)

I still do thoroughly hope, you will integrate ETL-features to Access!
    In EXCEL as well as in PowerBI you can use "retrieve and transform data" to collect data from diffent sources.
    I don't want to write back data to the sources.
    Many of my clients - financial controllers and data analysts - use ACCESS as a kind of datamart for their reporting, as I wrote in my BLOG "controllingexcellent". They collect data from different source, mostly TXT-files, CSV, Web, EXCEL-Files and Databases at the same time.
    It is the "single source of truth" where data is stored. Many other reports…

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Automatically recognize foreign keys in the relationship view when connected to MySQL

At present the foreign keys aren't recognized when connected to MySQL over ODBC. Neither are they shown in the relationship view.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Encrypt password in MSysObjects

In a frontend/backend scenario with linked tables to a password secured Access backend the password can be figured out. It is human readable in the Connect field of the MSysObjects table in the frontend. Please prevent this by encryption.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Extend exporting/importing/linking tables to/from a SQL-Server

I think it would be very nice if ODBC-Connections to a SQL-Server would preserve:
    a) The Primary Key constraint while exporting.
    b) Constraints like default values while exporting.
    c) Extended properties like 'MS_Description' while exporting.
    d) Auto value/IDENTITY while exporting.

And also b) + c) while importing or linking tables.
    While a) + d) still works (sometimes) while importing or linking, it does not work in a one to one fashion.

The Microsoft SQL Server Migration Assistant for Access (32-Bit) is, unfortunately, buggy (or completely broken after v7.3.0) and extremely slow to open even medium-sized databases.

Once upon a time,…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1
  • Don't see your idea?

Access (Desktop Application)

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base