Feedback by UserVoice

Access (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Access Desktop feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.
We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Encrypt password in MSysObjects

In a frontend/backend scenario with linked tables to a password secured Access backend the password can be figured out. It is human readable in the Connect field of the MSysObjects table in the frontend. Please prevent this by encryption.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  External Data Connectivity  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Extend exporting/importing/linking tables to/from a SQL-Server

I think it would be very nice if ODBC-Connections to a SQL-Server would preserve:
    a) The Primary Key constraint while exporting.
    b) Constraints like default values while exporting.
    c) Extended properties like 'MS_Description' while exporting.
    d) Auto value/IDENTITY while exporting.

And also b) + c) while importing or linking tables.
    While a) + d) still works (sometimes) while importing or linking, it does not work in a one to one fashion.

The Microsoft SQL Server Migration Assistant for Access (32-Bit) is, unfortunately, buggy (or completely broken after v7.3.0) and extremely slow to open even medium-sized databases.

Once upon a time,…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  External Data Connectivity  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Import/export specs edit feature

Currently, the developer needs to go through the process of importing a file into a database in order to create or edit an import/export spec in the MSysIMEXSpecs table. True, the MSysIMEXColumns can be edited directly in the table, but overall, the process is not very user friendly. There needs to be functionality to create/edit import/export specs without have to pretend that one is importing an external file.

44 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  External Data Connectivity  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. ODBC errors need to return more information error 3146 does not provide enough detail

Perhaps an error.description2 property which we can reference which stores the error returned from SQL about the true problem. Right now it is very difficult to trouble shoot.

Thanks.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  External Data Connectivity  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Attach SQL tables without "dbo_" or give the option to do so

It would be more intuitive to link sql tables WITHOUT the owner prefix.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  External Data Connectivity  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. json linking

People asked for exporting and importing json data but what about linking to json data?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. ACCDE Bug with build 1808 Access 365 Home version

You can no longer link to an ACCDE back end. This needs to be fixed!

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Allow users to import text files that do not have a txt extension

in office access 2007 we used to be able to import text files that have an extension other than .txt, many businesses have files that are text files that do not have .txt extension and although I can change the extension to .txt, it is very time consuming when I have thousands of these files

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  External Data Connectivity  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. add the data file/table name being imported on saved imports.

I have some saved imports that pull in multiple tables from our ERP system. I believe it would be informative to know which "step" in the import is active by showing the table name on the status bar. Right now it shows "Importing. Press and hold ESC to stop." Expanding that to "Importing table xxxxxxxx - Press and hold ESC to stop."

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. When I set the form recordset to an ADODB recordset, things no longer work the same as when I just use a linked table.

Fix Access so using an ADODB recordset works the same as a linked backend table

When I set the form recordset to an ADODB recordset, things no longer work the same as when I just use a linked table.

For example, a Subdatasheet no longer uses the "Link Master Fields" and "Link Child Fields" form properties.

When the end user tries to use the autofilters, they just get an error message.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. VISIO

Improve the interactive data-exchange between ACCESS and VISIO.

A visio worksheet should be integrable into a form like a chart, and the data of selected shapes could be made available as a single record.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. External Data Import Text File: add Regex field definitions

when importing data from a text file allow a field to be defined by a regular expression.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Link to Outlook WebApp contacts folder

Create a link to Outlook WebApp contacts folder.
    The connector already existing depends on an Outlook PC/MAC version to get the data from. I suggest creating a connector directly to the contact's server folder.
    That way it would be possible to edit easily a list of Outlook WebApp contacts in Access.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. convert MDE TO MDB

How Can I Convert MDE To MDB Wth VBA , If Unlock Possible?!!! Or Export Forms Or Reports To New Application

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  External Data Connectivity  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Create ACE Engine Redistributable for Access 2016!

Since Office Click-to-Run Installs can result in the ODBC / OLE-DB Drivers for ACE NOT being visible to the system outside of the VDI install environment, we need a CURRENT version of the ACE engine redistributable package (the last one being from Access 2010 - 6 YEARS AGO!)

For more info see: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2874601

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  External Data Connectivity  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Add the ability to import selected VBA references in the Import Objects dialog

A frequent task in Access is to import some or all database objects from an existing database into a blank new database. After that, we must painstakingly set all non-standard VBA references in the new database the same way as in the old one.
    It would be nice if we could specify in the Import Objects dialog which references should be copied from the existing database into the new one.

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  External Data Connectivity  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Fix the TransferDatabase command so that it exports tables to Oracle properly.

When I try to export an Access table into an Oracle database it doesn't retain the input field formats. Everything is converted into a string and the indices are lost. I've contacted Microsoft about this before but got no meaningful response, presumably for petty proprietary reasons.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. SQL Server - Linked Tables: Add discription to field names in development mode.

In MS Access its easy to add descriptions to fields in table editor. These descriptions are neither taken over when using ssma nor are they brought back to Access when already existing in sql server.

I've written a vba-script that creates an T_SQL script to create all field descriptions of a table. But even if descriptions exists they are not reshown in the linked table.

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
2 Next →
  • Don't see your idea?

Access (Desktop Application)

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base