Feedback by UserVoice

Access (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Access Desktop feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.
We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. New Linked Table Manager – Suggested Improvements, Fixes, and Relative Path Relinking

Suggested Improvements & Fixes for the NEW Linked Table Manager (now available to Office 365 Insiders and Office 2019):

First, I want to say I really appreciate the new Linked Table Manager in Access (as available for Office 365 Insiders and Office 2019) and it's many incredible improvements. However, I have some suggestions to improve usability, address issues and add functionality to it:

1. Remove / Clarify Repeated Relink Table prompts when Change Data Source Path

Clarify "Do you want to relink the selected tables in the new data source" as for optional table renaming and replace "Cancel" button for Relink…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    4 comments  ·  External Data Connectivity  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Relinking a Data Source, Table Name refresh confusing

The prompt that you receive when relinking to a data source regarding relinking table names seems inconsistent and confusing. If you end up trying to relink a data source and choose the same data source as original, you do not get a prompt. If you choose a different source, you get a prompt which asks whether you want to relink the selected tables. If you choose NO then it does refresh the links to each of the tables. If you choose YES you get prompted for the name of each table. If you are relinking to the same source, you…

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  External Data Connectivity  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. The Linked Table Manager is not an option in a database with no Linked tables

Since it now has an Add button, I do not see why this should be the case. Thus, for now, adding a link to your first table needs to be done the old way – through New Data Source.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  External Data Connectivity  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Allow Update of Linked Excel Worksheet

The patent preventing this was taken out in the early 1990s so it should have extinguished by now.

Given that this would make Excel much easier to use for charting, which Access no longer has, it would seem time to re-implement this ability.

Preferably with better control over column data types.

124 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  External Data Connectivity  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Who is using the Database?

On a shared network with a backend/frontend configuration, (or even in a single-shared-file arrangement), please provide a tool that tells us who has the database open.

74 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Access (Desktop Application)

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base