Feedback by UserVoice

Access (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Access Desktop feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.
We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. When a query fails due to data type mismatch - tell us what field in the error message.

When a query fails due to data type mismatch or some other field specific error - tell us what field in the error message.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  Queries  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Add an option to disable the 'Show Table' dialog when creating a new query

It would be useful to be able to suppress the automatic display of the modal 'Show Table' dialog every time a new query is created.

Currently I instinctively hit 'Esc' when creating a new query, knowing that this dialog will be displayed.

I prefer to add tables/queries to my query by dragging them from the navigation bar.

4 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        1 comment  ·  Queries  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Enhance the SQL Editor

Some features would be good to developers:
        1) Tabbed SQL Query Windows - allow user to create a query window without binding to a query object (like we do in SQL Server)

2) Format the query field with highlighting, identation, colors and make possible to even resize the font size. .

3) Allow intellisense to get [table].[field] list (in A2013 we have it in Query Designer but no in SQL mode)

4) Split the window in SQL Query and result pane - and make it possible to see result in table or text format (like we have in SQL Server).…

302 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          10 comments  ·  Queries  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Allow Control-A to Select All in Query Design View

In previous versions of Access, I could use Control-A to select all fields in a table within the query design view, then Control-Click on the certain field(s) to de-select. It is not always preferential to use the asterisk, particularly if you are doing something other than a delete query. This used to be supported, but looks like it went away after I upgraded to Office365. Thanks.

5 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
          • Allow to enter criteria at the join level

Left join categories c on c.id = p.catgoryId and p.price > 100

This can be done in most SQL DBs, including SQL Server, but is not allowed in Access

4 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              2 comments  ·  Queries  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • idea for fix of a query that stops working

When sorting a query, I've found that if after sorting I then rename the query, the query stops working. It works again if I undo sorting. It seems the query is trying to sort the data according to the earlier naming of the quwery, even after the query has been renamed.

1 vote
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
              • Develop the SQL User Interface

SQL is something that I find particularly useful when I am running a database. However, the SQL user interface is very poor in my opinion. It should be more something like the Visual Basic interface, where when you start typing in a formula, then it has a dropdown with all your options and when you select the function from the dropdown, it will show you how to build the formula. For me it becomes very time consuming to have to go online to figure out how the function is built. Also it would be great if it can be colour…

14 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                • OST to PST Converter

On the off chance that your Outlook OST record has turned out to be broken or unparented due to a few reasons like infection assault, Trojan disease, awful server, Low system property, document assemble activity disappointment, equipment crash or bundle disappointment and you wish to ask back your OST record because of your OST document is in this way fundamental to you, at that point don't freeze you'll have the capacity to endeavor our OST record to PST document gadget bundle furthermore as OST to PST for working environment 2007. In the event that you wish to investigate the work…

3 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • Intellisense/Builder Improvements

In Access I often use the criteria Intellisense/Builder to help me get the vba string to drill down to a deeply nested subform. But Intellisense/Builder gives up about 3 forms in. It would be nice to be able to drill down further with the help of this tool.
                    I am by no means an expert at Access but over time have created several useful tools over the years, with the help of many Access experts on line. I created a very comprehensive vacation calendar used by over 200 people (tied to an sql back end) for my employer prior to…

1 vote
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • 3 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • access 2016 crosstab

Crosstables should never have been removed.
                        It just doesn't make sense to have to export the data to Excel and if the data changes, we need to export again.
                        Please bring it back

48 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • Action Query: List specific records/columns that violate index or validation

When running an action query, if records will be 'excluded' due to index or validation, give clear info as to what records & columns are causing the issue.

3 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • Seamless SQL Query engine

It is really good to have (if not at the same level) basic MS SQL query syntax with Access. I see over the years it has never been updated.

4 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • RGB Colors in Format Code for Format Property in Query Column

It would be nice to have more choices than the named colors (Black, Blue, Green, Cyan, Red, Magenta, Yellow, White) in the format code for the Format property of a column in a query.

For instance, we can do this:
                              [Blue]$ #,##0.00;[Red]$ #,##0.00;-0-

so that positive numbers are blue, negative numbers are red, and zero is black ... but most of the named colors are too bright to show up well.

It would be nice if we could specify an RGB value instead of only the limited color names.

A bonus would be for the Format FUNCTION to also pay…

1 vote
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • Refresh tables/queries while in Query Design View

Add a way to refresh the columns listed in tables and queries being shown in the graphical layout of the Query Design View. A right-click, hotkey, or ribbon button would be nice.

This scenario takes place when you are designing a new query that is dependent on other tables and queries. As you are working in Design View, you realize you need to make a change to a dependent table/query such as adding or renaming a column. Without closing the current query, you go and update the dependent object and come back to the open query. Now you want to…

6 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • Abilty to add a drop down list for a query with criteria in square brackets

Currently in a query if you use Square brackets you can get a box to pop up asking for information when the query is run. Allow a form & combo box to be attached so it can be customised for the data to be picked up.

3 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  • Enhance Union-Query architecture that total field count more over 255

Please re-design that a Union query of MS Access deal with more over 255 source fields totaly like 1024 or 65535 fields.

8 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      3 comments  ·  Queries  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Fix query engine issue.

The sub query, (SELECT Min(Year) FROM tblInsuredInformation AS i1 WHERE i1.RecordID = tblInsuredInformation.RecordID) AS [First Year], in the query below returns various year values that make sense for the data in the database.

The problem is that tblInsuredInformation doesn't have a Year field. It does have a FirstYear field.

tblPRFPolicies does have a Year field but I have verified that the calculated FirstYear column is not returning either tblInsuredInformation.Year or tblPRFPolicies.FirstYear. It could be returning Year in some records and FirstYear in other records.

If just SELECT Min(Year) FROM tblInsuredInformation is run, MS Access prompts for the value of Year,…

2 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • Access Query Designer - fix/enhance behavior of layout window

When a query opens in MS Access designer, quite often the window (query designer form) needs to be re-sized to be larger. When I drag the bottom of the window down, PLEASE keep the results fields selected "portion" (sub-form) the same size! This will result in the top area being enlarged, which gives me more room to view the contents lists of the objects selected (most often they are tables).
                                        Wouldn't it be phenomenal if the table lists would also automatically extend vertically?
                                        I spend a lot of time resizing my query designer windows. (e.g. please automatically enlarge the top…

7 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          4 comments  ·  Queries  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Add Save As... back to the Query context menu

In earlier version of Access, when you modified a query the context menu had the choices of “Save”, “Save As…” and “Close” in the context menu. Since the ribbon was introduced, the context menu only provides “Save” and “Close”, if you’ve made a change in the query and don’t want to over write the existing one, you have to go to the File | Save Object As route to get to the “Save As..” dialog box.

17 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            3 comments  ·  Queries  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          ← Previous 1
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Access (Desktop Application)

Feedback and Knowledge Base