Feedback by UserVoice

Access (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Access Desktop feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.
We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Allow arrow up/down keys to move between previous/next row in continuous form

In a datasheet form we can navigate left/right as well as up/down, navigating between different rows of the recordset.

In continuous forms the up/down errors behave the same as left/right.

Nowadays, to achieve the described behavior we have to catch the KeyDown event in a continuous form and MoveNext or MovePrevious with error handling for first/last record etc.

Instead the behavior should be the same as in datasheet form.
    There can be an option similar to "Move after <Enter>".

43 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    3 comments  ·  Forms  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Improve Access charting, or improve the interaction with Excel

I have a need to place a fairly complex chart in an Access report, and I wasn't able to create the chart in Access so I did it with Excel. The data actually resides in SQL Server, and there is a data connection that runs a stored procedure to bring it into Excel. This works find if you manually refresh the data in Excel, get the chart to refresh in Excel (which doesn't seem to work as easily as it should), and save the spreadsheet. If you then run the report the linked chart will work correctly. But when you…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Template for mailing labels

I want first name, last name, address, city, state, zip , sent, received, email.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Datasheet  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Increase the font size of queries shown in SQL view

When you show a query in SQL view the font size is minute. There seems to be no way of enlarging it.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Queries  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Allow setting background color for Access desktop, and to change colors for form and report borders

I would like to use the grey background color of Access 2003 and also its blue border color for forms and reports. But now the background color of Access 2016 is white and the border color for forms and reports is white. In Access 2010 you were able to reproduce the 2003 look by setting some options, but that has been removed in Access 2016. Please advise if this capability exists, or please add it.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Record not show full

I don't know why, this morning I update Windows, after update, in datasheet and forms, record not show full, show about 10%, but when I click on the Last record button, it just show full, I do not this is new feather or error. Please answer me, Thank you so much.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Datasheet  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. type password

add type data Password crypted for GDPR in Eu

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Local Data  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Fx ODBC issue where column name of 64 characters is 1 too many

When the Linked Table Manager sees a column name in a SQL Server table with 64 characters, it only uses the first 63 characters of that column name.

After linking, an attempt to view table data will fail, with the message

"ODBC--call failed"

"[Microsoft][ODBC Driver 17 for SQL Server][SQL Server]Invalid column name "'123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123'."

The column name in my table on SQL Server is:

"1234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234"

So Linked Table manager is truncating that for some reason.

There is a 64 character limit for object names.

I cannot find any documentation anywhere saying there is such a limit of 63 characters in ODBC…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  External Data Connectivity  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. A way to disseminate an Access program on non Access computers.

I work with one other group in another office. They could very much use the Access forms I have created on my computer but they don't have access installed. The people on the other computer do not have the ability or desire to create their own programs so buying Access would be a waste for them. There used to be a way to do this.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Local Data  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Access 2016: Form border width is too narrow .

Sizeable MDI forms in Access 2016 have a single-pixel border that is very hard to grab with the mouse.

The form borders show as a single-pixel whether the form mode is "no border", "dialog", "sizable" or "thin".

One work-around is to make the form a popup form, but if you make every single form in the database popup, you lose the MDI functionality and the ability to have a genuine popup form. When everything is on top then effectively nothing is.

This creates a serious accessibility issue particularly when combined with the fact that MS Access forms and controls don't…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Forms  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Gridlines to Modern Access Charts

The 'modern' charts in MS Access no longer allows for gridlines to be set. The gridlines can be a great visual aid in charts to quickly access where the value plotted lies in relation to the axis. It was present in the 'old' charts but is no longer available in the 'modern' charts. I would also recommend adding scatter plots to the modern charts. Just FYI, your free/opensource counterparts have them already implemented within their packages.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Forms  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Add more shapes to forms besides just the rectangle. And also have the ability to rotate them please. Like Word and Excel can.

Allow us to add more shapes to forms besides just the rectangle. And also have the ability to rotate them please. Like Word and Excel can. Thank you.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Forms  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. 2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Please make video tutorial of your template

Dear Sir,
    How to make Northwind Database? Please make the video tutorial of your northwind template step by step. If you make video, we can learn properly to make access database. because Northwind database is the wonderful database to learn access completely.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Bug Report: MSACCESS.EXE in ProcMon shows hundred of thousands of ReadFile Operations to a temp file

After update to Office 365 ProPlus 1808, a my customer start complaining about very unresponsive form in an application they have been using for many years.
    I have been testing and checking for several days (with SQL Profiler, Wireshark packet sniffer and ProcMon), and seems the problem is reading %userprofile%\appdata\Local\Temp\JET8F62.tmp, which MSACCESS.EXE is doing a ReadFile Operation to. When the applications start to get unresponsive, many thousand reads are done to the same temp file. I have tried to change ODBC Driver (ordinary SQL Server v10, ODBC Driver 17 for SQL Server, V2017.172), I have tried to convert the .MDB…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Forms  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Provide a MS-Access connector to PowerApps and Flow

We have a webservice on which we have a PowerApp connector that enables PowerApps to run any macro, vba procedure/function, opening of a form to fill in text-fields and/or perform the equivalent to buttonclick-events in an Access Application. If MS-Access out of the box could configure and enable a webservice on the machine it's running and thus would enable a PowerApp to be a cloudfirst/mobilefirst frontend presentation layer, MS-Access 2019 would really become something new. When the Access application has linked SQL-tables to SQL-2016 or up, it can easily delegate the creation of JSON to SQL-server, but I wouldn't be…

127 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  External Data Connectivity  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Access (Desktop Application)

Feedback and Knowledge Base