Feedback by UserVoice

Access (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Access Desktop feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.
We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 166 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    34 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We realize that Pivot Tables and Charts have been a great feature and many Access users found them to be highly useful.
    As you may already know, they have been removed as the technology they relied on, was no longer supported (Office Web Components).

At this point we have no plan to bring Pivot Tables and Charts back. However we are looking into ways to improve and modernize data visualization in Access.

Stay tuned.

2. In some Access export commands path length is limited. Could you remove those limitations?

In some Access export commands path length is limited. Could you remove those limitations?

' works:
    DoCmd.TransferSpreadsheet acExport, acSpreadsheetTypeExcel12Xml, "Mitarbeiter", "C:\Users\Gerrit.Viehmann\Desktop\Very looooooooooooooooooooooooooooong directory\Very loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong filename.xlsx"
    ' Error 2006:
    DoCmd.TransferText TransferType:=acExportMerge, TableName:="Mitarbeiter", FileName:="C:\Users\Gerrit.Viehmann\Desktop\Very looooooooooooooooooooooooooooong directory\Very loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong filename.txt"
    ' works. Add one ‘o’ and it doesn’t:
    DoCmd.TransferText TransferType:=acExportMerge, TableName:="Mitarbeiter", FileName:="C:\Users\Gerrit.Viehmann\Desktop\Very looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong filename.txt"

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Automating Tasks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for posting.
    The limitation in this case is on the filename itself, not the path. For file types, the database engine treats the file name as the table name in an external data source, so it enforces the limit on table name length, which is 64 characters.
    At this point we have no plan of changing such a fundamental behavior in Access.

3. HURRY UP AND MAKE ACCESS ON MAC!!!!!

Mac needs an amazing database software and time and time again, you still don't create a version for Mac! MS Remote Desktop is not ideal when you need to use Access all the time! Look at everyone on Mac that is suffering. JUST MAKE A MAC VERSION.

23 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Restore Pivot Tables to Access!

I work at a major US airline. I have been charged with creating major database work using MS Access. Pivot tables are vital to the amount of varied data with which we work. Pivot tables are vital...please restore.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    14 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. VBA Break or Cancel ability in debug mode

In testing a vba fuction that is running badly or seemingly endlessly, I used to be able to press CTL+Break to stop it from running. In Access 10 this no longer works, I have to completely crash out of Access - which i hate to do with a huge db. There should be a way to cancel safely?

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Collapsible vba procedures

By default each procedure should only have the first procedure line (header) visible with an expand button to show all lines within the procedure. Currently a lot of time is spend scrolling through code.

I would also like to see the two drop downs for general and declarations changed to a tree view on the left so that I can more easily navigate procedures and methods.

Thanks for your consideration!

48 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Add Pivot Charts back to Access.

The original Pivot tables and Pivot Charts in Access 2007 were very easy to use and a great benefit to builders and users. I am still using 2007 for that very reason, since I have many applications that rely on the pivot functionality and I am a great believer in graphical representation using Pivot Charts.

696 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    117 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks everyone for voting and supporting this suggestion.
    As you are all aware, Pivot Charts and Pivot Tables have been removed from Access 2013 because the technology they relied on was deprecated (Office Web Components).

Voting and commenting on this suggestion (and on this https://access.uservoice.com/forums/319956-access-desktop-application/suggestions/11510094-put-pivot-tables-back-into-access-surely-a-databa) has been very valuable to us to distill the requirements and needs.

Since Pivot Charts as we all know them, will not come back to Access, we are updating the status accordingly and would like to encourage you to continue and use your free votes to support other suggestions.

Thanks,
    Michal [MSFT]

8. Put Pivot Tables back into Access. Surely a database should be able to analyse data, including text fields. This cannot be done in Excel.

Put Pivot Tables back into Access. Surely a database should be able to analyse data, including text fields. This cannot be done in Excel which can only handle numeric data. Our business uses them extensively and currently we cannot find an alternative.

324 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    30 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Undo in VBA editor

VBA editor allows to undo only the last 20 steps. That feels like programming in 1984. I don't think there is any reason not to raise this number.

60 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. 21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Put the ADP file option back into Access 2013 and beyond...

ADP's provide a simple connection to SQL server. In addition, Forms and reports have properties that simplify retrieving data.

95 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    No Current Plan  ·  17 comments  ·  External Data Connectivity  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Access for Apple PC's

Can we have a version of Access that will work on Macs. As a developer, it is a real turn-off when I have to tell people that the only way they can use an Access Database is via the Web or via Remote Access.

Access could then claim to be a universal database.

72 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    10 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Stop randomly omitting text in reports

Sometimes, MS Access reports silently omit lines of text. This bug exists since at least Access 2007, and it's very annoying -- customers have to manually double-check every invoice to make sure that everything important has actually been printed.

The bug is well-known (see, for example, StackOverflow questions 10612364 and 14716048, SuperUser question 455782, MSDN thread 648dd3a2-28c1-4f0d-853c-ef932c58519f, or Microsoft Support Cases 114032111284860 and 115072312971316), but, apparently, has not been considered important enough to be fixed.

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for reporting.
    We will add this bug report to our backlog and see that it is prioritized and handled.
    In the meantime, I’m updating the status for ‘No Current Plan’ so that you use your votes again.

Thanks,
    Michal [MSFT]

14. Enable multiple versions of Access to co-exist on the same machine.

Enable multiple versions of Access to co-exist, side by side, on the same machine without ill effects.
    Just like there can be multiple versions of Visual Studio, SQL Server, etc. Currently, to work in different versions of Access we need to maintain a separate machine (physical or virtual) for each version of Access.

82 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    12 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Alphonse,
    It is not clear what is the problem you are encountering. Going through the comments other Access users left here, didn’t help figure it out as well.
    To the best of my knowledge there shouldn’t be an issue with running multiple versions of Access on the same machine, so I’m closing this request.
    If you feel strongly about it and can provide more information, please create a new request.

Thanks,
    Michal [MSFT]

15. Give the VBA IDE a major overhaul finally

It's been over 20 years since the VBA IDE was created in its present form. MS has since created a number of modern and efficient development environments. Even if the VBA environment has long been referred to as outdated: it is simply the everyday reality for all serious Access developers (to a lesser extent this is also true for the other Office programs). I can not imagine that it lacks capacity to MS to bring the VBA IDE into a more contemporary form.

To insist that it would not be worthwhile to invest in an improved IDE, is roughly as…

58 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. We need VBA development environment for Access Web Apps.

Macros in Access Web Apps take us back to the earlier versions of Access. If Access Web Apps is equipped with a professional VBA development environment then I feel the forthcoming versions of Access Web Apps can be a tough competition for other development tools being currently used in the market. There are a million VBA developers in the market then that for any other tool as of date. Please let us have VBA in Access Web Apps, we can really change the way Access has been criticized till date. We want to create more robust web based apps using…

68 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Improve the Visual Basic Development Environment to be similar to Visual Studio

When working in Visual Studio the VBA VBE seems so primitive. See the features here
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/efc4xwkb.aspx

The features in the Visual Studio text editor make writing, navigating, and debugging code so much simple:

The Visual Studio editor provides many features that make it easier for you to write and manage your code. You can expand and collapse different blocks of code by using outlining. You can learn more about the code you are using by using IntelliSense, the Object Browser, and the Call Hierarchy. You can navigate inside your code by using features such as Navigate To, Go To Definition,…

66 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for weighing in on this.
    VBA is very important to us, and we’ll continue to add object model for new features (see http://dev.office.com/blogs/VBA-improvements-in-Office-2016), so you have programmable access to all of the capabilities of the application.
    However, changes to VBA are driven cross Office apps and not directly by Access team, so I’m declining this request so you can re-use your votes.

Feel free to follow the developer blog http://dev.office.com/blogs, where we’ll communicate changes to VBA.

18. OSX Support

Would be great to see this application on Apple's operating system.

24 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. PNG transparency bug in MS Access 2003,2007,2010,2013 and if not also in the 2016 version?

Take this message to explain the error in the transparency of PNG.
    This bug is crawling from the first version of MsAccess PNG transparencies disappear when sent to the printer, if anyone solved this problem please tell him that I do or how to solve it, probe with Msacccess 2013 and continues the bug ... today is 01/16/2016 ....
    Leo Poster and websites, observed in the examples that come out and check on my little exercises, which is possible in the new Access 2010 version include pictures in various supported formats (.jpg .png .gif etc, etc) in forms and reports,…

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for reporting.
    We will add this bug report to our backlog and see that it is prioritized and handled.
    In the meantime, I’m updating the status for ‘No Current Plan’ so that you use your votes again.

Thanks,
    Michal [MSFT]

20. Deprecate all versions of Access

I would like to suggest to Microsoft an idea that came to me in a dream last night. My dream was a little bit like:
    I was sitting in a bench at some park, there was no black people around, Donald Trump probably won the reelection. I was reading the news, "Elon Musk dies on his way to the sun"... For some reason I'm not surprised. All of the sudden I realize I was supposed to go to work because its sunday! I rush to McDonalds... on my way I see a massive screen showing the new capabilities of Access…

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    No Current Plan  ·  7 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Access (Desktop Application)

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base